Educating your friends

Educating your friends

This is a discussion on Educating your friends within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently posted about an incident where someone happened to see my CCW license in my wallet while I was paying for lunch. The person ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Educating your friends

Educating your friends

I recently posted about an incident where someone happened to see my CCW license in my wallet while I was paying for lunch. The person actually asked me, "Where's your gun?". I was annoyed that they would do this, and someone even suggested that the cashier or other people could have pushed a silent alarm or called 911, and that I should take my friend aside and explain to him why that was inappropriate.
    After I thought about it for a while, I wondered if it could have been an opportunity to educate my friend on the 2A and CC. I am somewhat conflicted about that idea because I don't want to broadcast the fact that I am armed or have a CCW. I would prefer that no one have any idea that I am carrying a concealed weapon, but I also feel like there are an awful lot of people out there who don't have a clue about why we carry and why they should care that this right not be taken away from us.
    Not to get on a soapbox, but How do you be a proponent of the 2A ammendment and try to educate people without making it known to everyone, "hey I'm carrying a gun".
    COGITO, ERGO PORTO

Quote Originally Posted by Headshrinker View Post
    I am somewhat conflicted about that idea because I don't want to broadcast the fact that I am armed or have a CCW. I would prefer that no one have any idea that I am carrying a concealed weapon, but I also feel like there are an awful lot of people out there who don't have a clue about why we carry and why they should care that this right not be taken away from us.
    Not to get on a soapbox, but How do you be a proponent of the 2A ammendment and try to educate people without making it known to everyone, "hey I'm carrying a gun".
    I understand your concern. I realize I'm new here, but I'd imagine everyone here has been in a similar situation. I've just (re-)mailed in my paperwork, so I'm not CC'ing yet and my wife has yet to take the training (back-logged like crazy) but I've been in conversations lately that have made me wonder how I'd handle similar situations. My gut reaction would be to take the friend aside. This would give you the opportunity to educate him and to make sure you don't have a repeat.

I'm looking forward to what everyone has to say.
    NRA member
    GrassRoots GunRights SC member
    Walther PPS .40 / KelTec P3AT

It seems to me that our country is moving quickly in a direction that I don't like. I don't think people realize that our freedoms are not invulnerable and we could find ourselves waking up one day to a country that looks very different than what it does now. The only way we are going to be able to keep our 2A rights (among all the others) is if we are willing to stand up and fight for them. If you think that there is no way our freedoms can disappear your fooling yourselves. I think, in many ways, we are watching it happen right before our eyes.
    COGITO, ERGO PORTO

I am also very careful not to inform many people about my CC, but those who do know are aware of my reasons and in most cases sympathize with me! I feel like the best move here is to inform your friend about your reasonable intentions by carrying a firearm and not that you're some crazed lunatic looking for trouble...

One trick that might have helped you in this situation--I flip my CHL backwards in my wallet so that when my DL is pulled from the 'window slot' that it has, the CHL doesn't look too conspicuous. Simple, but effective.

Good luck with your friend, I'm sure he'll at least begin to understand and maybe you'll get a range buddy out of it!
    CZ P-06
    Glock 23 OD with CT laser
    S&W 642

My CCW has since moved from the ID window to the inside slot of my wallet where the plastic sleeve is.
    COGITO, ERGO PORTO

There are too many variables to have one RIGHT answer. Some of us "covert carry" and telling acquaintances is risky. Some people simply concealed carry and have no qualms about telling every Tom, Dick, and Harriet why and how and what they carry.

As a covert carrier in your situation, I would accept that I flubbed up by having the permit in an area that others could see it. I would also have given the "friend" a shocked look (not fake, cause I would have been having a heart atttack) and quipped something along the lines of "it seemed like a cool idea to take the class/it makes my husband happy that I have my permit" and leave the implication that while I have the permit, I really don't 'mess' with carrying the gun. At no time do I tell anyone (only my husband and kids know) that I carry..but that's just paranoid little ole me.

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    I would give them a careful look at the license, point out that it is a license to carry concealed and say that if I was armed it would be concealed. Then tell them about the class I will be teaching and invite them to attend.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

I would've told my friend that my gun was in my vehicle. Sometimes a white lie is better than a visit from the SWAT team. At some point in time in a discreet place I'd have gently and calmly explained why I carry. This would also be a good time to explain that by law it's concealed carry and if you ever needed to defend not only your Gluteous Maximus but his/hers you would prefer it to be a surprise to the BG and even though he/she probably wouldn't discuss such a delicate subject you wouldn't want a simple slip of the tongue to put your friend in a compromising position.

How do you be a proponent of the 2A ammendment and try to educate people without making it known to everyone, "hey I'm carrying a gun".
    Well, that's the trick now isn't it?
    It may just take a little bit of "recon" conversation first.
    Find out if the person is pro or anti gun first. Cuz, it is really difficult to leave someone thinking that you don't carry a gun when you are telling them from a position of personal knowledge how it is every American's right to do so.
    If he/she is pro gun, then the conversation goes much better.
    If they are "anti", that will become a rather prickley conversation once they catch on to you having an "assault weapon" in your pants.

The more emotional antis will not so easily be swayed, so ID them first.

The rest are just range friends you haven't met yet.
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

Invite the dude to the range with you soon and then have a safety lesson and other discussion. Depending (big one) -might want to pick him up on the way to the range so as to prevent a lot of foolish questions prior to departure.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Well I am one that doesn't mind that friends or acquaintances know...but then again AZ is an OC state, so as long as I am not somewhere that it is not legal to carry (very few of those...most maddeningly restaurants that serve alcohol) then I wouldn't mind telling them. However, I would definitely pull them aside, give them a little education on the rights of citizens and permit holders, and then ask him to be a little more discreet.

I make it a policy not to lie about stuff...that makes it far worse in the long run. Be polite, be professional, and be to the point.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Telling your friends

This is a tough issue. Most often, as many here know, it doesn't pay to educate just anyone. You could admit to a taste for 14-year-olds and get a better reaction than admitting to being trained and carrying. It's also very difficult to tell how folks will react. Your closest friends might be the ones to react the worst. (I had a close, conservative, Republican friend, an attorney in the South, who I thought would be safe--and I got a lecture all through dinner. The old gambit of "do you have car insurance?" didn't dent his armor.) Instead, you tend to look for hints and secret hand signals, as it were, verbal cues such as "2A" coming up in conversation. Then you hint back, and sometimes you can then talk openly. In most cases, if busted, as you were with your revealed CCW permit, I'd make light of it and change the subject. You have to become real private and real mature real fast when you enter this world.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure that it is right. - Learned Hand

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    My permit lives behind my drivers licience not seen unless I remove my DL. The only time I plan on doing that is with LEO and I do not plan to have those occasions very often. Put it out of sight.

Tell the truth to your friend, I am very specific only had to say it once to my son when he asked in front of another person if I had gotten my permit. I simply said not yet and that I do not want to advertise the fact that I plan to carry. Both understand that I do not advertise my permit which I now have.

Behind the DL but turned around. Too many trips to the airport made me aware.
    I told some Libs at lunch that my gun was in the bathroom behind the bowl.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Educating your friends
    In the spirit of educating my friends, your signature is a bogus quote.

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Thomas Jefferson"

You may agree with the sentiment but it is not a quote of Jefferson. It is deleterious to our cause to promulgate falsehoods. Some think that fake quote was planted to make gun owners look like revolutionary fringe elements.

Don't help them make their case.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links