Concealed weapons badge.

This is a discussion on Concealed weapons badge. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok before you blast me. The sticky i read, and can't post there. So I wanted to put this out for discussion. let me try ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Concealed weapons badge.

Concealed weapons badge.

Ok before you blast me. The sticky i read, and can't post there.

So I wanted to put this out for discussion. let me try to put this clearly.

I have personally almost been shot by the "police" twice in my life. If you want to know why I'll share those stories. But not now, it's too long.

I read the whole sticky and see that 99% are against them. I don't see why? I'm not saying to go displaying it.
    Only when necessary.

I think an officer would hesitate if he saw a badge instead of a card? Please don't attack me. Just looking for rational explanations. Remember we are all on the same side.

Now this is one experience where a badge helped. One morning about 4 years ago.
    My wife was leaving for work, she leaves before my son, very early but I am up.
    So I hear her close the door downstairs and leave.

But then she returns 1 minute later "screaming" steve call the police there's a guy holding a gun to our neighbors (sp?) head, hurry!!
    So you can imagine my bloods pumping now. I call 911 and tell them what my wife said.
    They ask me if I can see what's going on, so I try to look out my second story window but I just see my neighbors brother arguing with another guy he had a gun out also.
    So the cops showed up fast. I live right next door to a station.
    So after the cops showed up I went outside to see what was up. The guy still had the gun planted against the back of neighbors head but he had a badge around his neck that I couldn't see from upstairs.
    What had happened is that my neighbor was a child molester and they had a warrant so that's why they had him. And all was sorted out.
    What I saw when the uniformed cops showed up, they drew on the cop, but he started waving his badge still holding the gun to the back of neighbors head. So the uniforms put there guns away I guess after they called in and found out what was up.
    but if the undercover didn't have that badge around his neck, would they have shot?
    It's just something to ponder?
    I know if the cops are aiming at me as they have before, I would rather flash a fake badge instead of a card. Atleast I don't think they would shoot. Then I can go to jail for impersonating, but at least Im alive.

Just my opinion and life experience.
    What do you think?
    Steve

P.S. The undercover was wearing jeans and a t-shirt with no writing on it. Why I don't know. He should have had one of those jackets that says police. unless they wanted the element of surprise?
    Also so I printed up fliers letting everyone in our community know that this guy was a pedophile and to watch their kids. He tore them down, I put them back up.
    They had a lawyer come to my door and ask if I was putting up fliers. I said NO not me. LOL The lawyer said I had no right because he was alleged not convicted. So I put alleged pedophile and posted more. Until he finally moved. I have an 11 year old son. and I wanted him gone the pedophile that is. They still own the house but rent it out. To families with kids. So I always let them know. My civic duty. I don't judge but I do when it comes to pedophiles, that's the lowest form of being.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    No, they wouldnt have shot. Spending much of my career as plain clothes and under cover roles, there are plenty of ways to let uniforms know who you are.

Flashing a badge doesnt mean jack unless you have some other items and knowledge to go with it. Dont waste your time or money, a CCW badge will only make you look foolish.
    "Just blame Sixto"

In your story with the undercover officer, the police, as you mentioned, called in and got confirmation from dispatch. In your case, flashing your 'badge' would recieve no confirmation. I don't think a badge is going to help much.

As far as if the 'cops are aiming' at you, I would think the easiest way to avoid getting shot would be to cooperate, not to flash a CCW badge.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

VIP Member
    +1 to both the previous statements, it's pretty silly to go flashing a CC badge to the cops if they are "aiming" at you. I'd do EXACTLY what they tell me and NOTHING else.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

I'm with Sixto and Kerbouchard. Keeping a level head, communicating clearly and avoiding furtive movements like reaching for a badge will be your best bet to get through any scenario you are likely to encounter.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

VIP Member

Count yourself lucky

Quote Originally Posted by Steel44 View Post
    Also so I printed up fliers letting everyone in our community know that this guy was a pedophile and to watch their kids. He tore them down, I put them back up.
    They had a lawyer come to my door and ask if I was putting up fliers. I said NO not me. LOL The lawyer said I had no right because he was alleged not convicted. So I put alleged pedophile and posted more.
    Count yourself lucky that the lawyer didn't file suit and either take everything you own or might own in the future, or force you to spend everything you own or might own in the future defending yourself.

There are times to MYOB, and this was one of them.

You knew nothing of the case, only an allegation. You knew nothing about why the man was arrested, other than a rumor or possibly a false allegation. False allegations of child molestation happen all the time.

The only thing you did right was call 911 and stay in your house. Had you gone out to assist your neighbor and waved a badge, the undercover cop would likely have shot you.

Rule number one of CC: You are not a cop.
    Rule number one in life: MYOB

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    If you want a badge go throught the police academy and earn it.

no badge, follow instructions and move very... slowly...

who needs a stinking badge anyway, most respect the badge, everybody well you know the saying.

I dont think a badge helps even a cop in situations like that, he probably told them to call dispatch? or they knew him? or they were his backup, coincidence they showed up when you called? who knows, but no badge that's silly

Quote Originally Posted by f8lranger4x4 View Post
    If you want a badge go throught the police academy and earn it.
    or join the geek squad, they make them wear a badge in worst buy
    NO 3rd party disputes

The power of imagination is the key to life.

It helps you think ahead, consider the possibilities,and prepare you for the future.
    If you lack that ability, you're no different from livestock trapped behind a fence.

Im with all the above posts. You dont need a badge. You're not a cop.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    I've been on both sides at different times. I had one on order. They failed to deliver. I got my money back from the credit card company. I never reordered.

I think this summarizes my analysis at the moment.
    Reasons to have a badge:
    1. Identify yourself to citizens in case of discovery, whether unintentially or as a result of a SD incident.
    2. Identify yourself to LEO in case of a SD incident.

Reasons not to have a badge:
    1. There is no control to acquire a badge. Anyone can, even the bad guys. Their value in a LEO's eyes is minimum to negative.
    2. Some police departments consider flashing any badge resembling a police badge as impersonating an officer. This is not a good thing.
    3. Thinking a badge might prevent you from being shot when the police arrive after a SD incident are misplaced. The arriving police are suspicious of anyone holding a gun when they arrive. In the confusion you may still get shot.

Personally, I no longer see the value and see potential danger.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

I can think of two very good reasons not to ware a CCW Badge.

1. It really does make you look foolish and will only make people begin to avoid you and treat you with distain.
    2. If you use in the manner implied, to keep the police from shooting because you may be one of them, you may be charged with impersonating a LEO. I know that your intention is only to keep from getting shot, but that will not matter when the DA explains that the purpose was to achieve your goal by making the Police think you are one of them when, in fact, you are not.

What good is a CCW badge? Hang it on the wall to impress your daughters boyfriend.

I agree with others. No badge, and furthermore, no bumper stickers, window decals, t-shirts, hats, signs, etc.. Sure I'm proud to be an NRA member, but I don't need to clue the BG's to the fact I may be carrying or that I might have weapons at home to steal.

Personally, after an incident, and after holstering my weapon or placing it on the ground if time doesn't allow, I might consider opening my wallet exposing my CCP and holding it straight up in the air, my other hand straight in the air as well. This is what LEO's and agents do with their badges/I.D.'s when others arrive on the scene.
    "Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
    - P.J. O'Rourke, Civil Libertarian

- Nex ut Novus Universitas Ordo! -

tag
    maybe you could get a Stethoscope and pretend to be a doctor too

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Yikes...here we go again. Just search for previous discussions about the "badge" and the mall ninja's :))

Rick

Yes, get a badge.

It will grant you 'arrest powers' in 37 states and 12 foreign countries. Works even better if you get a red strobe light mounted on the top of your car, that way when you make citizen's arrests you'll look more official.

Comes with a free pair of aviator glasses. Also comes with free suggestions for forum monikers, such as 'MastaPatrolla', '$tr33t$weepr', and '|_@deesMan'.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links