Carry into someone's home?

This is a discussion on Carry into someone's home? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all, please bear with me, I am a noob and this is my 1st post. I would love some feedback about whether or not ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Carry into someone's home?

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar

Carry into someone's home?

Hi all, please bear with me, I am a noob and this is my 1st post.

I would love some feedback about whether or not you carry into someone else's home. And if so, do you disclose to them?

And now my explanation: I'm about to take my CCW class. I work for 4 different Giant-Breed K-9 rescues and get calls at any hour to go grab a dog and evaluate, or to do a "home evaluation" on someone applying to adopt.

Unfortunately last year, I was called to do a home check and as we do not do any background check deeper than calling the vet (if listed) to make sure their current animals (if any) get annual exams, I had no way to know that I was going alone into the home of a convicted (several times) violent offender, current a fugitive from the law, wanted on a Rape charge.

I was fortunate, and have a background in Self-Defense, so I was not harmed. HOWEVER, I have thought long and hard about carrying now for the last 18 months, since this happened. I don't want to be in that situation ever again, and as Ann Coulter says about us women "without carrying a firearm we're what's known as 'prey.' "

So, I'm thinking that as soon as I am able to CCW, I will be back doing home evals again. Having a partner with me is not an option, unfortunately. But I'm wondering about whether I should let the individual homeowner know that I am carrying, out of respect for the property owner, or let concealed mean concealed. So any thoughts, opinions, or personal stories would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Concealed means concealed. Only let them know when you NEED to, when they're looking down the business end.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    For the sake of yourself and those who love you, carry concealed, tell no one. Learn to access it expeditiously. Respect yourself above all others. If there is no problem, there will be no exposure.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

I wouldn't say anything. If they don't want weapons in their home, they will say so. If they don't bring it up, no big deal. If they don't have a reason to think you are armed, who cares.

Too many things can happen if they know you are armed.

I carry everywhere I go. If the homeowner doesn't tell me weapons are not allowed, I assume they are welcome. That said, I don't usually enter the home of a non-gun owner. I tend not to associate with them.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

carry and tell no one.
    CC is consealed. never seen.

your state may/will be different, but in mine I can carry in anyones home so long as they did not ask me not to prior.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Think about it this way: Would you want that Violent Attacker to know you had a gun before he tried to attack?

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Well I was leaning on the side of "if they don't ask, I don't tell" but I was curious to see what others here thought. Looks like I'm in good company. I'm glad :)

+1
    Just think... those "type" of people might "assume" anyway that you are armed being the work that you do with K-9'

It sounds like you have been lucky so far.
    I once owned a business cleaning fish tanks in offices and homes.

Lady of the house tells me her son is now home from California and he was just released from a mental hospital and even though he can act strangely at times, not to worry about him he is just "different".

Nothing happens the first time I am there. A few weeks later I am there alone with this guy and he mentions he is leaving for Isreal the next day. I say that is interesting why are you going to go there?
    He says to talk to the leaders there and spread his message of peace and how he has a solution to the "desert shield" crisis that was ongoing at the time...??????....!!!!!!!

Yes bells are going off. I am elbow deep into a very large fish tank and he is jsut standing there behind for a long long time. I felt odd, alarmed, slightly threatened, hair on neck standing up, chills.

I got done and got the heck out of there. This was a Friday evening.
    Saturday night he walks into a bar in O.P. Kansas and immediately starts stabbing a random person to death. She had just turned 21 that day and was out with friends, she also had a toddler and hubby at home.

So... Yes you should carry when entering strangers home for your work.

This is an interesting question, I'll have to look up the law here to make sure for myself. Glad things are okay.
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

Here in Louisiana we must first inform a homeowner that we are carrying a weapon and ask permission before entering a home. Not sure about NC but you should check to make sure the law doesn't require you to do something foolish like that.

In some states (I believe South Carolina is one), you are required by law to notify the homeowner that you are armed. I am not sure if the same law exists in North Carolina.

If no such law exists, then there is no reason to tell. Especially since it sounds like these are one-time visits.

Personally, I do not disclose that I am armed. Among family (those who know I carry) they have asked before and I told them that yes, I was armed at the time. Now they simply assume I am and no longer bother to ask.

I don't feel the need to tell people I carry, since it is none of their business. If asked by someone I know well, than I would inform.

If I was told beforehand that someone did not want guns in their home, out of respect I would most likely not go to their home again.

In VA and NC don't ask don't tell. SC must inform homeowner/resident and have permission.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    I think your question has been thououghly answered

Now your probably wondering to yourself, "How do I carry? What if the Homeowner realizes I am carrying?" or any number of questions along that line.

Welcome to your first step into a broader world. There are many options. Ask lots of questions, there is much knowledge here.

Use the search feature.

Look at the pictures in the holster thread. Be prepared to spend good money for a good holster. The method you use to carry, is only going to be as good as the holster you have. Your holster is darn near everything when it comes to carrying SAFELY, SECURELY, COMFORTABLE, and CONCEALED!

When you get it your license and your all set up for the first time, go take your wally world walk (do a search). Visit lots of public places. Don't tell anyone, not your best friend, not your mom, not your boy friend. You will soon learn that the only people who are going to know your carrying are you, and all of us here when you tell us about your experience.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Lightbulb My 2 cents...

Take your CCW class...get your permit...buy the biggest caliber you can shoot well...carry it concealed everywhere...learn to draw from concealment...practice often...be prepared !!

It's called self-defense for a reason...better to be safe than sorry !!
    SHOOTER13
    ================
    DoD: Peace thru Superior Firepower

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links