Should I Participate in This

This is a discussion on Should I Participate in This within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; On facebook, I'm part of an organization for concealed carry on campus. I was just reading on there and saw this announcement: Students for Concealed ...

View Poll Results: Should I participate

Voters
137. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

127 92.70%
  • No

10 7.30%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should I Participate in This

Should I Participate in This

On facebook, I'm part of an organization for concealed carry on campus. I was just reading on there and saw this announcement:

Students for Concealed Carry on Campus will hold its third national collegiate Empty Holster Protest during the week of April 20-24, 2009. Thousands of college students throughout the United States, organized under the banner of Students for Concealed Carry on Campus (SCCC), will attend classes wearing empty holsters, in protest of state laws and school policies that stack the odds in favor of dangerous criminals and armed killers by disarming law abiding citizens licensed to carry concealed handguns virtually everywhere else.

The protest will focus on sharing the facts of concealed carry with students and faculty who may not be aware that concealed carry laws exist or that those laws differ on college campuses from most other locations.
    Should I participate. I want to get the word out, but have to admit I'm a little apprehensive about doing this. Plus I don't have an OWB holster yet
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

2. Remove Ads

Yes...Heck Yes.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

BAC
    If I had a non-leather IWB or an OWB holster, I would. Not having the money for either is the only thing stopping me.

I say go for it.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Go for it. "We're here, no reason to fear, get used to it!!!"

well, I've been wanting an OWB, but I haven't decided on what yet....perhaps I could just raise my supertuck all the way up so I would be seen clearly??
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by BamaSteve View Post
    well, I've been wanting an OWB, but I haven't decided on what yet....perhaps I could just raise my supertuck all the way up so I would be seen clearly??
    You can pick up a really cheap holster, maybe on ebay. It doesnt even really have to fit your gun. When you are done protesting try to recover the cost by reselling in Ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    You can pick up a really cheap holster, maybe on ebay. It doesnt even really have to fit your gun. When you are done protesting try to recover the cost by reselling in Ebay.
    Heck--I've got an el-cheapo XD Gear OWB holster I'll give you; just let me know your address and I'll send it out a.s.a.p.!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaSteve View Post
    On facebook, I'm part of an organization for concealed carry on campus. I was just reading on there and saw this announcement:

Should I participate. I want to get the word out, but have to admit I'm a little apprehensive about doing this. Plus I don't have an OWB holster yet
    While I agree with the concept, be prepared for possible repercussions. Remember what happened in Connecticut to the student who did the discussion about conceal carry and had the professor call the police because she felt he made people "uncomfortable". Remember, you have to deal with sheep who do not use logic.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    While I agree with the concept, be prepared for possible repercussions. Remember what happened in Connecticut to the student who did the discussion about conceal carry and had the professor call the police about it. Remember, you have to deal with sheep who do not use logic.
    That's what I'm kinda wondering about. I don't have a lot of spare time to devote to any problems that might arise because of this. But then again, if people in our history hadn't taken chances...

I've got over a month to think about it though, and anyone who has input, please let me know.
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    i'd do it if i were still in college
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

For me a big part of carrying a concealed weapon is playing it close to the vest. I don’t want to tip my hand to ANYONE! People talk too much. If they know that you are PRO GUN, PRO CCW……. They will know or assume that you are carrying. I would rather keep that to myself. That’s just me. Good luck!
    CCW: Never get killed for lack of shooting back!

what do you guys think about perhaps speaking with my professors ahead of time and making sure they won't give me any problems?
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

Your supertuck can be worn on your belt outside your pants between belt loops and be visible that way.

I say go for it. The silent minority stays a minority and survives only at the pleasure of the majority. If we never speak up and demand our protection under the law to defend ourselves and our opinions; if we let those who are uncomforatble with the concept of self-reliance intimidate us into silence; they can eliminate our rights in an instant and it will be too late to speak up or speak out to get others to come to our aid.

The Texas State Legislature are considering the repeal of concealed carry license statutes that prohibit concealed carry on all college campuses. It is organizations like Students for College Concealed Carry that have gotten measures like this heard here in Texas and other states.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

Quote Originally Posted by 2gunken View Post
    For me a big part of carrying a concealed weapon is playing it close to the vest. I dont want to tip my hand to ANYONE! People talk too much. If they know that you are PRO GUN, PRO CCW. They will know or assume that you are carrying. I would rather keep that to myself. Thats just me. Good luck!
    Many students on other campuses participated although they were not license holders or even interested in getting a license. For them it was merely a statment in support of their rights. I don't think you have to consider yourself "made" just because you participate.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

This is a hard one...if you're a student though, go for it. Especially if you have decent grades. If you don't, professors may curve you down. Unfortunately, campuses are so political & unfair.
    I'm a staff member at one & when the empty holster day came up around here last year, they announced it at our staff meeting the week before to "warn employees". I spoke up and said "Good for them(students), that's a good idea!" Needless to say I got some disapproving looks.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links