Change in Mississippi CCW wait period

This is a discussion on Change in Mississippi CCW wait period within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello All, New here from MS, and I was wondering if anyone knows what the wait time for ccw is? I know that it is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Change in Mississippi CCW wait period

Hello All,
    New here from MS, and I was wondering if anyone knows what the wait time for ccw is? I know that it is changing to 45 days this summer but the patrolman at the ccw place said I would receive mine in 45. Well I have not. Also heard that it went from 120 days to 70. Confused the hell out me!
    Thanks in advance.

VIP Member
    Per MS statutes: 45-9-101. License to carry concealed pistol or revolver.

(6)
    (c)
    The Department of Public Safety shall, within one hundred twenty (120) days after the date of receipt of the items listed in subsection (5) of this section:
    (i) Issue the license; or
    (ii) Deny the application based solely on the ground that the applicant fails to qualify under the criteria listed in subsections (2) and (3) of this section. If the Department of Public Safety denies the application, it shall notify the applicant in writing, stating the ground for denial, and the denial shall be subject to the appeal process set forth in subsection (7)
    Welcome to the forum. It appears they have 120 days. You can check here for MS laws on conceal carry:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/
    Last edited by archer51; March 12th, 2009 at 02:45 PM. Reason: added info

yep, been there done that. still no t-shirt. just disappointed that i had my hopes up for 45.
    I still want to know if anyone from my state has heard similar things. as in 120 to 70. i know i'll be good in may, so here's to may!!!

I recently got mine. Yes the statute says 120, but the lady at HP station said 2 months when I was fingerprinted, and that's what it was. I applied the week before Thanksgiving & received it end of January! I know of another who also received theirs in this 2 month time frame.

That's encouraging news, I did my app. 2 months to the day (now) and went to the box and..... no joy this wait is longer than the wait for the Christmas that i got my red rider BB gun!

Mississippi law...

There is a bill that has passed either the MS House or Senate that will make it easy to renew your license by mail every other time instead of having to go in person & be fingerprinted & have a new photo taken. That will be really convenient if it indeed becomes law.

I don't recall how long it took to get my Firearms Permit as it called here, but I think it arrived sooner than the time allowed by law.

Joe Rankin - Clay and Wings - Level III Shooting Instructor
    Wilson Combat Master Dealer
    Rankin Arms Company
    www.rankinarms.com
    Wilson Combat Master Dealer
    Nighthawk Custom Preferred Dealer

"Life is tough...it's tougher if you're stupid." John Wayne

Kentucky used to take six months. I see now they have put a new revision in requiring the State Police to issue or deny within 90 days. Better. Maybe real time will be shorter. I'm on my second renewal and it doesn't expire until 2011. Hope we can still get them.

I'm new here...great site.

Anywhos, I went to apply for my CCL here in north MS at the first of February and even though the official wait is not over 120 days, the guy doing my fingerprints said it would be in the mail in 45. That will be next week and I'm waiting.
    Slow is steady and steady is fast.

I messed around and let mine lapse not long ago. I went Feb. 17 and reapplied. I asked the patrolman running the office in Jackson and he said I should get it in 30 to 60 days. I am keeping my fingers crossed.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

I applied for mine in July of 07. I got it before the end of the 120 day wait, but the issue date still stated 10-11-07, exp 10-11-11. It may have changed in the last 18 months, but they made my Firearms Permit the day I applied. The lady behind the counter just said we will mail this to you within 120 days. I have not seen anything about shortening the waiting period from 120 to 70 or 45. Hang in there Hoodwink.
    Now if we could just get them to get rid of the language in 45-9-101 of the MS Code that prohibits carry in church. I say let the individual congregation make that decision. The separation clause was put in the constitution to protect the church from the State, not the other way around.

Thanks spydad. "spydad" hmm. If I wasn't certain, I would wonder. But I do promise y'all I will inform you when I get it! This better not turn out to be like the 21st b-day, man that **** was over rated.

I applied for mine on 1/08/09. When it came in the mail, the issue date on the permit was 2/22/09 (which is a Sunday???) and I actually received it on 03/05/09. I thought the Sunday date was kinda weird.
    SA 1911 9mm, Ruger LCP, EMP9, M&P45, LWRC 6.8SCP

Semper Fi...

I got fed up with the wait and called the permit office. Get this, my permit has been issued, just seems to be "lost" in the mail. Now I have to wright a letter explaining I have not received it and PAY ANOTHER 15 BUCKS!!!! What a crock.

"wright" i think i have been contaminated by the "RD Seawright" virus! inside joke and she will never know!!! Gawd, I hope none of you have the privilege to meet that ! (write, )

jh1
    I applied for mine 1/27/09 and received it 3/13/09. I think thats 45 days on the nose, but I was also told it would take 4 months. I was rather surprised!!! I was also surprised that the expiration date was 3/13/2014 with an issue date of 3/13/09. I thought the permit was only good for 4 years not 5.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links