Knife vs Gun

This is a discussion on Knife vs Gun within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by MilitaryPower Again, it depends. I was doing some disarming training this week. The bad guy had the gun, I was able to ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Knife vs Gun

Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryPower View Post
    Again, it depends. I was doing some disarming training this week. The bad guy had the gun, I was able to redirect the muzzle and take the gun almost every single time. If I was not able to take the gun and then draw my own, my training blade came out (surprise!) and they were not able to hold a gun and would be out of action momentarily and dead shortly after. This training was conducted at about 3 feet. You can see that in this case that the knife was more effective, but not necessarily deadlier. At ten feet with a gun drawn on me, I'd take a pistol. A handful of shots to the upper torso and head would definitely kill faster than the knife.

So basically it comes down to this: they can both kill deader than dead, but it depends on how you use it. A gunshot to the head is probably about as stopping at that point in time as you can get. But when your muscles can no longer operate and you are spewing blood like a water spout, that achieves the same result in the end. I think it all depends on how you use it, as people can take a lot of bullets and knife wounds as long as they aren't in the right places. Being able to do any of this however requires a certain mindset, willpower, and probably at least a little training.
    Exactly right. You are talking about ability.

The original poster is wanting to know which particular "instrument" is deadlier.

I don't think that is a question which can be answered to his satisfaction based on available data.

He's basically asking for something definitive out of something which is purely subjective.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

2. Remove Ads

Here's the bottom line: I've had three years of "knife" defensive training. "If" you carry a knife as a defensive weapon, you need to think of it as a last ditch "go to" option and deploy it from "secrecy" with no hesitation and your move must be fatal. One does not "bluff" with a knife nor does one deploy it to intimidate. There are a few simple, but not "easy" ways to block a weapon or another knife and use your knife to kill/incapacitate your attacker....actually kill is the better term. But there you have it. It's an inferior self defense method at best, assuming your attacker has a gun....even if your attacker has a knife or club. My opinion, based on my experience. The knife is deadly as hell, but most deadly as an attack weapon....less so in most self defense situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I don't think that is a question which can be answered to his satisfaction based on available data.

He's basically asking for something definitive out of something which is purely subjective.
    Indeed I am. I have gleaned much info though the thread which has managed to go on for 4 pages LOL

My debate has been over long before this thread. Good enough to get folks thinking on a subject.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

A knife can make you exactly as dead as a gunshot.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

I would have to agree with Militarypower. It's all about level of training. I will say however, while in the sandbox, to keep the locals back from our convoys while we were stopped, we would fix bayonets. It seems there is a fear of being stabbed that is greater than the fear of being shot. Personally I would rather avoid both and just shoot the BG rather than stab. Aroun my area it's mostly meth-heads an I'm sure no one wants their blood on them if it can be avoided. That being said I do carry a MOD CQD MK 1 folder.

Quote Originally Posted by ritt12 View Post
    It seems there is a fear of being stabbed that is greater than the fear of being shot.
    "...the fear of having their guts explored with cold steel in the hands of battle maddened men has won many a fight." -General George S. Patton
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Exactly right. You are talking about ability.

The original poster is wanting to know which particular "instrument" is deadlier.

The OP asked which is deadlier, which I took to mean which would be most likely to kill you. There have been studies done that statistically demonstrate you are more likely to die from a gunshot wound than a knife wound. I posted one earlier in this thread.

The Journal of Trauma (36:4 pp516-524) looked at all injury admissions to a Seattle hospital over a six year period. The mortality rate for gunshot wounds was 22% while that for stab wounds was 4%. Even among patients that survived, gunshot wounds were more serious -- the mean cost of treatment for these patients was more than twice that for stab wounds.

This was a SIX YEAR study. Pretty definitive.

The issue of which would be more effective at close quarters is an entirely different argument.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links