Knife vs Gun

This is a discussion on Knife vs Gun within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone have a link to or posses any stats that knives are in fact deadlier than hand guns? Im having a debate on this ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Knife vs Gun

Knife vs Gun

Does anyone have a link to or posses any stats that knives are in fact deadlier than hand guns?

Im having a debate on this with someone. Im taking the position in the debate that the knife would cause far worse wounds.

Of course we are not looking at all scenarios but Im thinking one on one close proximity that a guy with a knife would do more damage with a knife than would a single or perhaps 2 gunshots.

I could be way off, that it why Im asking.

What say the experts?
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by AllAmerican View Post
    Im thinking one on one close proximity that a guy with a knife would do more damage with a knife than would a single or perhaps 2 gunshots.
    Too many variables, but for "on the street" evidence: stabbings are the most commonly fatal assault. Stabbing is directed, forceful and pointedly dynamic.

Slashings/"defensive" knifings are more bloody, but (IME) not significantly more debilitating than GSWs.

GSWs. If the perp is using ball, and the engagement is dynamic (ie, the target can run, or run far) the injuries will not usually be fatal, but are more likely to result in some degree of permanent impairment (ostomy, joint fixation, decresed ROM, predisposition to pneumo, castration).

Stepping up to HPs, close/surprise attacks where the intent is to kill, or rifle rounds, these are generally fatal. Bangers are great believers in "anything worth shooting is worth a mag". Gang fatalities, again IME, involve 5-7+ hits to the torso/head from 7 feet or less. Fatalities over greater distances involved "accidents"(ie, wanted to hurt the target, but killing was a fortunate surprise) or multiple shooters.

Training and intent. Far more important than the weapon.

In extreme close quarters a sharp knife is deadlier than a gun (not counting a head shot), especially if the person holding it knows a little bit about what they are doing. Large gaping wounds or a big poke in the right place and it is all over. I'll try to find some info for you.
    Join the NRA and Gun Owners of America.

If I thought a knife was deadlier than a gun then I would only carry a knife. Like stated already, too many variables. Is the person fighting back? Do they have a knife too? Do they have a gun? Etc.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

Well, how often do you hear, "Never bring a gun to a knife fight."
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

confucious say: knife shine, gun shoot, take shoot over shine any day.

The Journal of Trauma (36:4 pp516-524) looked at all injury admissions to a Seattle hospital over a six year period. The mortality rate for gunshot wounds was 22% while that for stab wounds was 4%. Even among patients that survived, gunshot wounds were more serious -- the mean cost of treatment for these patients was more than twice that for stab wounds.

Looks like the gun wins, at least in this study.

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    This article can give you stats of knife crime vs. fatality. I did a google search of 'knife fatalities statistics united kingdom' and here is one of the results. Looks like 10% of knife crime ends up in fatility. (6 deaths a week vs. 60 non fatal knife crimes)

Stabbing deaths are the worst ever after UK crime figures show six people are killed by knife crime each week | The Sun |News|Sun Justice

Now you would have to try and find gun crime/shooting vs. fatalities to come up with what percentages end up in death.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

I'm not arguing fatality in this post:
    this was a topic with one of my friends who has experienced "survived" both and he told me the knife feels worst.
    NO 3rd party disputes

The power of imagination is the key to life.

It helps you think ahead, consider the possibilities,and prepare you for the future.
    If you lack that ability, you're no different from livestock trapped behind a fence.

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hybrid View Post
    this was a topic with one of my friends who has experienced "survived" both and he told me the knife feels worst.
    I don't doubt that at all. I believe I've been told that when you cut the tissue and the surrounding nerves, the nerves send screaming signals back to the brain. But when you are shot, the impact damages the nerves so there are fewer screaming signals registered in the gray matter.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    I am not sure I would go with more or less deadly with a knife verses a gun but with the range.... A knife is up close and personal, that means that the other guy is up close and personal with you. A gun gives you the range to be out of his/or his knives physical reach. At 20 ft, 180lb 5'10 is on equal footing with Lennox Lewis, at 3ft it is all over.

Indiana Jones: Indy was standing 20ft from a knife fighter when he said "Never bring a knife to a gun fight."

I cant find it right off but Lima had a real interesting thread about weak sided weapons (TDI Knives, etc...) that is applicable to this discussion.
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by hybrid View Post
    OK. I was responding to the OP who used the term deadlier. I assumed that meant more fatal.

Expanded Homicide Data Table 7 - Crime in the United States 2007

If you want replace 2007 with 2006 to see past stats. I imagine if the knife were deadlier homicide rates would be higher than they are.

A knife can cause more pain due to the area cut and nerves involved, but the gun shot wound can cause a wound larger than the bullet by cavitation depending on velocity. The higher the velocity the larger the cavitation. The solid organs (liver, spleen, etc) are more prone to damage.

YouTube - Bullet cavitation

whether one is deadlier or not is kind of irrelevant. A chainsaw would be a lot "deadlier" than both of them. The point is that it's a lot easier to deploy a gun as a deadly weapon, which is why they're regulated more. (I'm assuming that the essence of your debate was which should have tougher regulation).
    HK .45C
    HK P2000SK 9mm LEM

Any questions?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links