Taken to the hospital while carrying?

This is a discussion on Taken to the hospital while carrying? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What happens if you are carrying and you have an accident or a heart attack and you are taken to the hospital in an ambulance. ...

Thread: Taken to the hospital while carrying?

Taken to the hospital while carrying?

What happens if you are carrying and you have an accident or a heart attack and you are taken to the hospital in an ambulance. As an elder of 67 years with a CCW in Florida, it is something that I think about. Would appreciate any thoughts or information on this matter.
    "We have met the enemy, and it is us." Pogo Possum

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    It's been discussed here before in the past. EMS if they discover the weapon should notify police and turn weapon over to them for safe keeping, same for hospital ER staff. Police will maintain control of the weapon until it can be turned over to someone in your family who can legal receive the weapon. If you are capable of informing emergency personnel that you are carrying a weapon you should, so they will not be surprised if/when they discover it.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    It's been discussed here before in the past. EMS if they discover the weapon should notify police and turn weapon over to them for safe keeping, same for hospital ER staff. Police will maintain control of the weapon until it can be turned over to someone in your family who can legal receive the weapon. If you are capable of informing emergency personnel that you are carrying a weapon you should, so they will not be surprised if/when they discover it.
    If no family members etc. they will check it into the property room until you can reclaim it
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

archer51 said it all, my neighbour was taken to the hospital after a car crash and he was cc ,and the police took custody of his weapon , his wife had to go to the police station to retrieve his 1911, all she had to do was provide proof of marriage and her I.D.
    EDC's Colt Defender 45 acp and S&W 442 .38
    Springfield XD 45 acp
    Ruger SR9
    Ruger Super RedHawk .44 mag
    mossberg 590 12 gauge tactical
    bushmaster AR15-M4

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Some hospitals with security may also take it. Depends on where you are.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    At about the time I was getting my CCP I was volunteering in the nuclear medicine department at one of our hospitals. There were tales of ER personnel finding weapons and becoming panicked because they were not trained to disarm the patient. I don't know if these stories are apocryphal or fact. At the same time, CCP was big in Ohio news as legislation was moving through state congress to improve CC laws. This being topical began to reduce the anxiety.

Emergency responders are beginning to get exposure to patients carrying concealed. And if the police are involved in taking you to the hospital, they are more comfortable with disarming you. Many emergency procedures require removing a lot of clothing to assess injury. It becomes more likely that concealed weapons will be discovered before you ever get to the hospital.

On top of this, the hospital was posted as a no-carry zone.

That's a lot of discussion to get to my conclusion. Carrying is a life preserving act. Taking you to the hospital in a medical emergency is a life preserving act. I don't see how they could possibly be incompatible. If you are in need of medical emergency services, focus on communicating relevant information regarding your health and don't worry about your concealed weapons. When health returns is sufficient time to retrieve them.

I hope I will feel competent to conceal carry at your age. On the other hand, that's not so far off for me.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Pretty much what the others have said.

I've had 2 CCW holders in my ambulance since Missouri got CCW. It was handled as mentioned above. Once it was turned over to a State Trooper on the scene of an auto accident, who secured the weapon until the patients wife or son came to the scene. We actually left for the hospital before the family arrived, but to my knowledge everything went ok. Before we left, the Trooper said it was no big deal and assured the patient nothing would happen to his firearm.

The other time, I took control of the weapon, unloaded it, made it safe and turned it over to a city police officer who met us at the hospital when we arrived at the ER. Again, no big deal.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I really appreciate the information that has been given, it has been really helpful!!!
    Thanks!!!
    "We have met the enemy, and it is us." Pogo Possum

When I was in EMS (paid and volunteer), we trained on how to deal with weapons. When I became a training officer and responsible for developing exercises for EMTs and firefighters, I tried to thrown in a firearm here and there to keep them on their toes. It was interesting to see the different responses from different EMTs -- some very comfortable, some panicked. One thing we trained on is considering how the gun is carried combined with the scenario to evaluate responder safety. Gun in a holster is usually no problem, but the gangster abdominal tuck is always a concern.

I think most EMS crews and hospitals are prepared to deal with your firearm.

If my ticker starts acting up, my sidearm will be the least of MY worries...hospital staff, EMT's, and LEO's know how to handle that situation.

Stay armed...stay healthy...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

IMHO Nebraska has done a good job of planning for surinder of cc firearms we have plans for law inforcement, Emergancy personal, and Hospitals to take carge when needed. Law enforcement is the agency of choice but its been given more than a passing thought. Other states have similar rules so check out your local rules and you might find its covered.
    Ted

At the hospital where I work in TN, we've seen a few guns come into the ER. They are logged in with security, and given back to the patient when they leave the hospital.

Links