MARTA Train Ride...

MARTA Train Ride...

This is a discussion on MARTA Train Ride... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Guys, as I stated in an earlier thread here on DC.com I am flying to a funeral in Atlanta on Sunday. I have to ride ...

Thread: MARTA Train Ride...

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar

MARTA Train Ride...

Guys, as I stated in an earlier thread here on DC.com I am flying to a funeral in Atlanta on Sunday.

I have to ride the MARTA train from the airport to a station closer to my uncles house.

Is there any problem with me having a firearm or 3 in my luggage while riding on the train?

--Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

MARTA / Georgia firearms policy on public transit.

I think it comes down to Georgia law. Someone in the Atlanta, GA, area should be able to confirm specifics.

MARTA Prepares for Implementation of Georgia's New Gun Law on July 1st, 2008

On July 1st, Georgia's new gun law allowing licensed individuals to carry a firearm on public transportation will go into effect. In preparation for this change, MARTA wants to ensure that customers are aware of the new provisions and how the law will be enforced.

Georgia law prohibits the carrying of a pistol, revolver or other firearm on public transit unless a person has a valid firearms license to carry a gun. This license must be carried at any time that an individual is carrying a firearm on MARTA. MARTA police will strictly enforce all provisions of this law. Any individual found to be carrying a firearm without a permit will have it confiscated and will be issued a citation pursuant to Georgia law.

MARTA's work rules strictly prohibit all MARTA employees, whether licensed or not, from the possession of any type of firearm while on MARTA property. This prohibition applies to employees' vehicles while vehicles are parked on any Authority property designated as a secured employee parking area.

When taking MARTA to Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, customers need to be aware that firearms laws governing the Airport are different from those governing MARTA. Please see the Airport's website to review their firearms regulations.

MARTA will continue to be diligent in its efforts to provide a safe and secure system. If customers witness suspicious activity, they are advised first and foremost not to put themselves in harms way. Please use discretion and report any suspicious activity to a MARTA police officer or talk to a MARTA staff member who will immediately contact the police. In addition, emergency call buttons are located in all rail cars which go directly to the train operator and bus operators are able to contact MARTA police in case immediate assistance is needed.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    MARTA / Georgia firearms policy on public transit.

I think it comes down to Georgia law. Someone in the Atlanta, GA, area should be able to confirm specifics.

ccw9mm,

I'm not planning on "carrying" the guns per say. I just want to have them in their locked cases in the suitcase (granted, I would prefer to carry, but as I'll be starting at the airport, that's not an option in Atlanta.)

--Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

Georgia H.B. 89 went into effect July 1, 2008. It should have what you're looking for. Though, it requires a license to carry. You'll need to determine if that's a GA CHL it requires, or whether any recognized (reciprocating state's) CHL is allowable. Without a CHL, I'm sure it comes down to MARTA policy, since it would be packed/locked. IIRC, on AMTRAK, it's verboten ... even in luggage.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

HKR
    I would think you should be fine with the weapons in your suitcase. Georgia honors Indiana permits.

If it were me I would hop off at the first stop, find a bathroom, slip on a holster and sidearm, and hop back on the Marta train. You would be wise to travel unarmed in Atlanta as little as possible.

I have ridden MARTA once. I have also visited a section of Memphis, Tn that I was not familiar with once. I'd go back to Memphis before I'd get back on MARTA.

As for a little additional info on Marta, they are currently being sued by a rider for harrasment and unlawful detention because he was singled out and disarmed for carrying. He was CCing and apparently when he bent to pick something up his shirt came up and exposed his carry piece. He is soon to be a bit wealthier, IMO. The Georgia legislature has taken notice and are seemingly about to rip MARTA a new orifice.

When a PUBLICLY FINANCED entity refuses Open Records requests for the better part of a year and a Senator has to file a request to get answers it's probably not going to end well for said entity. In this case the Senator is EXTREMELY PRO-GUN and EXTREMELY PISSED OFF.

as long as you have a permit with reciprocity youll be good to ride marta. if not you will be committing a felony(in GA if you dont have your license on you its the same as not having one) if you carry on your person(which id advise if riding marta) if you conceal you must use a holster, openly a holster is not required.

Georgia Carry is suing MARTA, they just filed suit for harassing a lawful carrier, in federal court
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

You'll need it until you get north of 5 points

good luck

Marta Train Ride

Not that I am traveling to Atlanta anytime soon, but GA doesn't recognize WV permits. Our Attorney General is a big gun advocate however and is working to get Georgia to recognize ours. Currently, only 23 states do, we need more.

Be very careful about riding MARTA. I have friends who live and have lived in the Atlanta area and they have told me stories. I'd carry if it's lawful to do so in your case.

Your good...... GeorgiaPacking.org's Reciprocity Page
    There's also a "plain english" page regarding GA's carry laws, I'd read over them too.

IN and GA have reciprocity. On a MARTA ride, I'd carry.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Expect to be hassled if discovered on Marta. They seem to be making an attempt at some sort of statement. Although "legal" to carry on MARTA. Being out of town - you may not really desire to make court appearances should the MARTA police decide to pick on you. Maybe this pending case will have an impact on future incidents. Completeley legal to keep in luggage - as long as your permit is valid in GA.

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    Not that I am traveling to Atlanta anytime soon, but GA doesn't recognize WV permits. Our Attorney General is a big gun advocate however and is working to get Georgia to recognize ours. Currently, only 23 states do, we need more.

Be very careful about riding MARTA. I have friends who live and have lived in the Atlanta area and they have told me stories. I'd carry if it's lawful to do so in your case.

keep this number in your phone: doug king 404-790-7345 he is a criminal defense attorney based in atlanta and actively involved with Georgia Carry.
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs

no sure about firearms and the marta but sorry for your loss. prayers sent.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

I go to Atlanta 2-3 times a year for concerts.

Seems like the time I would be most likely to need my gun (in Atlanta), I can't carry b/c concerts fall under the "public gathering" law in GA.

I always carry my Surefire and Kabar TDI though.
    ~Mike
    Glock 17, Dale Fricke Archangel, Wilderness Tactical belt.
    My Guns and Tattoos Blog

HKR
    Careful with the TDI. Georgia's knife laws are as screwed up as their gun laws, if not more so. Atlanta and the counties around it are especially bad. Every city and county are allowed to make up their own restrictions on carry, blade length, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by HKR View Post
    Careful with the TDI. Georgia's knife laws are as screwed up as their gun laws, if not more so. Atlanta and the counties around it are especially bad. Every city and county are allowed to make up their own restrictions on carry, blade length, etc.

This is true, we have had Georgians arrested for carrying knives along with their gun. Only to go to jail for the knives. Sadly there is no preemption for anything other than guns. yet....

HB615 will take care of that once passed, it allows for unlicensed Open carry and will make GAs GFL a true CCW permit, it will eliminate off limits places other than jails and courthouses will be off limits
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs

Sponsored Links