Defensive Carry banner

Lawyers and NRA

12K views 25 replies 18 participants last post by  Yoda 
#1 ·
If any of us get into a nasty situation and need a lawyer, would the NRA and other groups help with getting a lawyer due to their interest in keeping gun control under...control?

#2 ·
The NRA will be able to steer you towards a lawyer. They don't have the resources and it has never been their intent to provide individual legal representation.

#3 ·
They may refer you to an 'area' lawyer(s), but I would suggest preparing yourself ahead of time. Make some calls to the law offices in your area and ask if they have a free introductory meeting...then discuss your SD needs.

OMO

#7 ·
The lawyer might offer a free consultation to discuss a particular situation and give advise as to how it might be handled.
Some lawyers give free consultations; I don't.

I don't for the very reason you mentioned - I'm not going to give someone the benefit of my experience and advise them of ways to handle their situations so they can go on and try to do it without me.

They will either succeed, in which case, I'm not making my car payments...or screw it up to the point that when they want to hire me, they can't afford the bill for the work necessary to clean up the wreckage.

It may be cold...but them's the breaks.

#5 ·
I read in the TSRA news letter that Susan Buxton who's was a high profile case and is a member of the NRA and TSRA had her weapon returned to her within 3 months after the police dept. received letters from NRA and TSRA lawyers. In another case of Phil McConnell, same senerio, same city, but not a member of an orgnization and a low profile case. His weapon had not been returned after year later.

#6 ·
I've had a pre-paid legal policy for about 12 yrs.
They have helped me with everthing from business contract reviews to traffic citations.

I've had a need in business to have my butt covered due to liability concerns for over 20yrs.

PPL has NEVER let me down and I've used them on several occassions in various cities and states.

I am very glad I have them as a CWP holder!
I can call a tollfree # 24/7 365 and talk with an attorney should any emergency situation arise.

Think about this: Suppose you had to do the unthinkable and take someones life to save your own.

After the police are called and while still on scene, you can call your attorney and have them talk to the cops! You can essentially have your own attorney on scene with you; telling you what to say and more importantly, what NOT to say!

Your bail can begin to be arranged while you are en-route to jail so that time spent in lock up will be minimal.

You can also have "personal" representation in any city and any state in the country! I sleep a lot better knowing that I have an attorney available 24/7.

#8 ·
During my last CHL renewal, Johnny Holmes (Ex Harris County DA for several decades) was in class right behind me. Although he was afforded the right to carry based on his past service, he choses to renew like any normal citizen. I asked him who he would call if he was involved in a shooting. He said just go with the best criminal defense attorney you normally see on TV daily, and can afford. In Houston, that would include Mike Ramsey, Dick DeGuerin, etc or if you can not afford them have them give you a referral. Thankfully the Castle Doctrine will keep you from spending $30K in a civil court after a righteous shoot.

#10 ·
My view is that it is much better to have established a relationship with a good local cirminal law attorney before you need their services.

That plan might be good, but I much prefer to know who it is that I will be relying on to defend me from what is likely to be a potentially serious charge.

#18 ·
I am a criminal defense lawyer, though my practice is limited to one specific area. I would suggest finding good criminal defense lawyers and not focus so much on their "gun expertise". In CHL shoots and the like, having a respected, connected criminal defense lawyer is more valuable than one with extensive gun knowledge. An insurance defense lawyer may know gun laws in toto, be an avid NRA member etc... while the criminal defense lawyer may be a raging leftist who is afraid to touch a firearm....I'd go with the criminal defense lawyer. FWIW.

Oh, and if you are in a shoot, remember this. "My life was in danger, I will be happy to talk to you just as soon as I can calm down and talk to my lawyer."

#22 ·
I am a criminal defense lawyer, though my practice is limited to one specific area. I would suggest finding good criminal defense lawyers and not focus so much on their "gun expertise".
Also being a lawyer, I tend to agree. If a criminal lawyer has several years of experience, he is likely to have tried his fair share of killing cases, most of which will have involved firearms. A scholarly experienced criminal lawyer who rarely goes to the firing range still will be a far better choice over a rookie lawyer who who claims to be "gun expert."

Although in years past I tried several killing cases, my practice is now limited to civil litigation - plaintiff and defense. As far as shootings go, I would not come into the picture until the shooter gets sued. It should be noted that a shooter is not likely to get sued unless the shooting is based on a negligence allegation and insurance is involved, or it is an excessive force claim against a law officer, or if the shooter otherwise has sufficient wealth to justify a lawsuit.

Some lawyers give free consultations; I don't.

I don't for the very reason you mentioned - I'm not going to give someone the benefit of my experience and advise them of ways to handle their situations so they can go on and try to do it without me.
OR so that they afterward can go out and hire someone with a larger yellow-page ad.

#20 ·
"My life was in danger, I will be happy to talk to you just as soon as I can calm down and talk to my lawyer."
"My life was in danger, I will be happy to talk to you just as soon as I can calm down and talk to my lawyer."

Best quote ever...x3

#26 ·
I know of a good attorney in my area, he called in Mas Ayoob to testify in defense of a homeowner who shot and killed someone burglarizing one of his homes. The perp attempted to run him over as he was trying to leave the scene. I think it was a civil trial that happened before the new Texas law protecting against them in justified shootings.

I have worked with the attorney and testified as an expert in other cases, he is good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.