Lawyers and NRA

This is a discussion on Lawyers and NRA within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If any of us get into a nasty situation and need a lawyer, would the NRA and other groups help with getting a lawyer due ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Lawyers and NRA

Lawyers and NRA

If any of us get into a nasty situation and need a lawyer, would the NRA and other groups help with getting a lawyer due to their interest in keeping gun control under...control?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    The NRA will be able to steer you towards a lawyer. They don't have the resources and it has never been their intent to provide individual legal representation.

They may refer you to an 'area' lawyer(s), but I would suggest preparing yourself ahead of time. Make some calls to the law offices in your area and ask if they have a free introductory meeting...then discuss your SD needs.

OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The NRA grassroots and other 2nd amendment organizations will provide a list of lawyers they are familar with that have dealt with firearms related issues in the past. The lawyer might offer a free consultation to discuss a particular situation and give advise as to how it might be handled.

I read in the TSRA news letter that Susan Buxton who's was a high profile case and is a member of the NRA and TSRA had her weapon returned to her within 3 months after the police dept. received letters from NRA and TSRA lawyers. In another case of Phil McConnell, same senerio, same city, but not a member of an orgnization and a low profile case. His weapon had not been returned after year later.
    NRA Life Member
    TSRA Life Member
    NAHC Life Member
    CHL Instructor
    TXCHIA Member
    BPOE Member

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    I've had a pre-paid legal policy for about 12 yrs.
    They have helped me with everthing from business contract reviews to traffic citations.

I've had a need in business to have my butt covered due to liability concerns for over 20yrs.

PPL has NEVER let me down and I've used them on several occassions in various cities and states.

I am very glad I have them as a CWP holder!
    I can call a tollfree # 24/7 365 and talk with an attorney should any emergency situation arise.

Think about this: Suppose you had to do the unthinkable and take someones life to save your own.

After the police are called and while still on scene, you can call your attorney and have them talk to the cops! You can essentially have your own attorney on scene with you; telling you what to say and more importantly, what NOT to say!

Your bail can begin to be arranged while you are en-route to jail so that time spent in lock up will be minimal.

You can also have "personal" representation in any city and any state in the country! I sleep a lot better knowing that I have an attorney available 24/7.

Quote Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
    The lawyer might offer a free consultation to discuss a particular situation and give advise as to how it might be handled.
    Some lawyers give free consultations; I don't.

I don't for the very reason you mentioned - I'm not going to give someone the benefit of my experience and advise them of ways to handle their situations so they can go on and try to do it without me.

They will either succeed, in which case, I'm not making my car payments...or screw it up to the point that when they want to hire me, they can't afford the bill for the work necessary to clean up the wreckage.

It may be cold...but them's the breaks.

During my last CHL renewal, Johnny Holmes (Ex Harris County DA for several decades) was in class right behind me. Although he was afforded the right to carry based on his past service, he choses to renew like any normal citizen. I asked him who he would call if he was involved in a shooting. He said just go with the best criminal defense attorney you normally see on TV daily, and can afford. In Houston, that would include Mike Ramsey, Dick DeGuerin, etc or if you can not afford them have them give you a referral. Thankfully the Castle Doctrine will keep you from spending $30K in a civil court after a righteous shoot.
    SE Texas Patriot Guard Rider, NRA Patron, TSRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by NativH View Post
    During my last CHL renewal, Johnny Holmes (Ex Harris County DA for several decades) was in class right behind me. Although he was afforded the right to carry based on his past service, he choses to renew like any normal citizen. I asked him who he would call if he was involved in a shooting. He said just go with the best criminal defense attorney you normally see on TV daily, and can afford. In Houston, that would include Mike Ramsey, Dick DeGuerin, etc or if you can not afford them have them give you a referral. Thankfully the Castle Doctrine will keep you from spending $30K in a civil court after a righteous shoot.
    With the news the way it is in Houston... You could be in the nicest area of Houston and a block away could be a high crime area. I live near Reliant but in a nice area surrounded by not so nice areas.

Ron
    My view is that it is much better to have established a relationship with a good local cirminal law attorney before you need their services.

That plan might be good, but I much prefer to know who it is that I will be relying on to defend me from what is likely to be a potentially serious charge.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Stay active in the local carry forum(s) for your state and you'll know where to go should you need counsel. As for the NRA, they don't know that you exist.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    Some lawyers give free consultations; I don't.

I don't for the very reason you mentioned - I'm not going to give someone the benefit of my experience and advise them of ways to handle their situations so they can go on and try to do it without me.

They will either succeed, in which case, I'm not making my car payments...or screw it up to the point that when they want to hire me, they can't afford the bill for the work necessary to clean up the wreckage.

It may be cold...but them's the breaks.
    OK, I understand your point here about making your car payments, but would you be opposed to someone coming into your office in advance of a SD situation, getting one of your business cards and keeping it next to their CCW license with the understanding that you would be willing to take them on if they call you? Would you be willing to give them a general idea of the amount of experience you have in SD shooting cases, or if you are opposed to taking on such cases, because if you don't feel comfortable with this type of case I don't want to waste my one phone call calling you out of a phone book.

Quote Originally Posted by jkvan87 View Post
    With the news the way it is in Houston... You could be in the nicest area of Houston and a block away could be a high crime area. I live near Reliant but in a nice area surrounded by not so nice areas.
    Being a native Houstonian (NativH), I know many areas that I NEVER belong in and many others I just stay away from on principal. I live in Memorial but that ranges from $300K to $10 million (FWIW I'm considerably closer to the lower number). Although this is a "low crime" area patrolled by constables, breakins still happen and there was a shootout at our neighborhood Spec's Liquor store about a month ago. Two gangbangers came in shooting but there was an armed out of uniform Customs agent in the store who took out one of them pronto and the other split. That was three blocks from my house around 7 PM one weeknight and my wife or I go there frequently.

Should someone try to break into my house, I have three 65 pound dogs (one chow, one husky/sheperd mix, and a border collie) who get the miscreants for the first 10 seconds and then they belong to me. There is at least one loaded pistol in every room of the house (no kids), most within instant reach plus an 8 shot 12 gauge next to the bed. A pistol in every vehicle glove box and one on my strongside ever time I leave the house except for work. I work in a downtown highrise and go to our processing plants (against federal law, plus the company would take a very dim view, to carry in them) so other than in my office or a plant, I'm armed.

For all this preparation, Houston is actually a fairly tranquil city for being the fourth largest in the USA. I never let my guard down but have only had to put my hand on my pistol once in 10 years and never had to draw yet. Hoping it stays that way but you got to make plans for the worst. We were at condition orange for a full week after Hurricane Ike hit us last year but there was relatively little crime, even property crimes, in Houston during that time. Folks here are really generally laid back, until you **** with us. We will give you the shirt off our backs, just don't try to take it.
    SE Texas Patriot Guard Rider, NRA Patron, TSRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    OK, I understand your point here about making your car payments, but would you be opposed to someone coming into your office in advance of a SD situation, getting one of your business cards and keeping it next to their CCW license with the understanding that you would be willing to take them on if they call you? Would you be willing to give them a general idea of the amount of experience you have in SD shooting cases, or if you are opposed to taking on such cases, because if you don't feel comfortable with this type of case I don't want to waste my one phone call calling you out of a phone book.
    I'd be more than happy to do as you asked, but that isn't a consultation.

That's a meet & greet. I'm happy to do those for free.

When people come in and want to "discuss this situation my friend has...you see, it went down...well, he said it went down...like this... 4 hours later...so, how should I, I mean...my pal...yeah, my friend... handle this criminal case, and do you the police violated his civil rights? What should he sue under? Should he go get witness statements..."

That's a consultation, and I'm not giving up 2 to 4 hours - the time it takes to do a proper client intake and get to work on the matter - for free, especially so someone can go mess up on their own.

I'm not into assisted suicide, thanks.

I you belong to a gun club ask if there any lawers that know about the gun laws.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links