Exposurer Question????

This is a discussion on Exposurer Question???? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So im new here and noticed a couple other guys talking about how they almost exposed there firearm and other things of that nature i ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exposurer Question????

Exposurer Question????

So im new here and noticed a couple other guys talking about how they almost exposed there firearm and other things of that nature i was just wondering what they big deal was i mean i know Concealed means concealed but what happens if somebody sees it whats the worst that can happen?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by bigdogbryan View Post
    what happens if somebody sees it whats the worst that can happen?
    The worst is whatever your state's laws impose on upstanding citizens who otherwise allow someone else to see a gun/holster/magazine, see the imprint of the same, or experience intolerable fear and upset because of seeing the same. Each state is different, in terms of what authority it grants sheep to scream bloody murder over the mere sight of an evil black thing peeking out from under a jacket.

Generally speaking, states with straightforward open carry don't harass and demean upstanding citizens in this way. But, many states allow it ... the "scream bloody murder" demeaning, I mean. In such a place, be aware that you might well be taken down by police on a "man with a gun" call, and forced to "explain yourself." In some states, you're committing a crime by inducing fear in others, even though you had no such intent.

Know your state's laws.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    They might call 911, and you'll have a visit by a LEO. It could go well, it might get ugly depending on how they react. If you're legal then they'll probably caution you to keep it hidden.

VIP Member
    Most cases - nothing.

Depending on your state's Open Carry laws..... BAD THINGS.

Very possibly - "Man With Gun" interview with local LEO's.

Worst thing - BG(s) is watching and targets you first out of the group.

Mostly though IMO, bad concealment habits are like any other bad habit - just plain hard to break!
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

The worst?
    Arrested, perp walk, fined, embarrassed, lesson learned...

Most likely?
    License checked, warned, lesson learned...

No one should see your firearm...ever!

OMO

Stay armed...keep it concealed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

When you hear a sheaple scream MAN WITH A GUN! and the leo's appear, nothing good is going to happen.
    EDC's Colt Defender 45 acp and S&W 442 .38
    Springfield XD 45 acp
    Ruger SR9
    Ruger Super RedHawk .44 mag
    mossberg 590 12 gauge tactical
    bushmaster AR15-M4

Have a good concealment holster and keep it covered as best you can. I doubt you would have too much trouble if you are not taking the bare bones approach to carrying. Example if you wear an IWB, don't wear a short cover shirt. Wear a shirt that will cover when you bend over. Read here a lot and you will pick up a lot about staying concealed from the members and a lot of other stuff along the way.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    I was at one of our favorite restaurants ordering carryout a while back. The bartender (I was drinking club soda) and I were having a conversation and she mentioned something about a customer dropping his weapon the other day. I said to her "you can't even see mine can you?" She said "Nope," and went about her business. Didn't even bat an eye. I love this state.

VIP Member

OHIO law

Quote Originally Posted by bigdogbryan View Post
    So im new here and noticed a couple other guys talking about how they almost exposed there firearm and other things of that nature i was just wondering what they big deal was i mean i know Concealed means concealed but what happens if somebody sees it whats the worst that can happen?
    Since you are from Ohio, the worst thing that would happen depends on precisely what Ohio law is.

Ohio being Ohio, I suspect that there would probably be some form of charge for brandishing, printing, illegal display; but I could be wrong as I don't know their laws.

In open carry states, a place such as MN, it would make no difference since your license allows open or concealed carry.

In Texas, intentional display is forbidden and the emphasis is on the word "intentional."

In Fl, I understand that "printing" is an issue; if the outline is detectable as a gun, you are printing.

There is no one answer. But, do find out what the law is in your own state-- something you should have done prior to or while obtaining your license.

From what I know about California, exposing your carry is a big no-no and will cause you to do a lot of 'splainin. They are very serious when they say concealed means concealed.

Colo is, except in Denver & some of the ski towns, open carry so accidental exposure is not gonna hurt you.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    In Fl, I understand that "printing" is an issue; if the outline is detectable as a gun, you are printing.

There is no one answer. But, do find out what the law is in your own state-- something you should have done prior to or while obtaining your license.
    Printing is not an issue in Florida. Only real issue is brandishing. Even accidental exposure won't really be a problem. After all it known as the Gunshine state!

You must know your own states laws. Don't rely on a forum for your states laws and interpretations.

First off bigdogbryan, Welcome to the fourm!

Next, Know and STUDY OH's laws concerning carrying a firearm.

Finally, as has already been posted, the worst is 'scaring the heebee jeebee's' outta someone and getting extra 'special' attention by a slew of LEO's. A "man with a gun" call will be handled seriously and you'll have to justify 'why' your carrying.

This, being exposed, has happened to most of us. When it's happened to me it's been while I was with the wife and kids and the scared citizen(s) were comforted with a warm nod and the fact that I just didn't "look" like a 'bad guy' (carrying a baby or 'hearding' my daughters through the make-up stores in the mall, etc., etc.)
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum.

As to your question, it will depend on the state you are in. VA allows open carry so your not really looking at a problem, some states however do not allow open carry and depending on how the LEO decided to handle it will determine if you have a problem, or are just warned to be more careful. Just make sure you comply with the laws of which ever state you happen to be in.

Quote Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
    I was at one of our favorite restaurants ordering carryout a while back. The bartender (I was drinking club soda) and I were having a conversation and she mentioned something about a customer dropping his weapon the other day. I said to her "you can't even see mine can you?" She said "Nope," and went about her business. Didn't even bat an eye. I love this state.
    WHY would you ask someone if they can see your weapon?
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

VIP Member

I stand corrected

Quote Originally Posted by georgewain View Post
    Printing is not an issue in Florida. Only real issue is brandishing. Even accidental exposure won't really be a problem. After all it known as the Gunshine state!

You must know your own states laws. Don't rely on a forum for your states laws and interpretations.
    oops. I stand corrected. I thought I'd seen a lot of printing questions here from Fl. Apparently, not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links