Traffic Stops and CC

Traffic Stops and CC

This is a discussion on Traffic Stops and CC within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I applied for my CCW a few weeks ago and I’m waiting the eternal wait. In the meantime, I’m trying to make sure I’m 100% ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Traffic Stops and CC

Traffic Stops and CC

I applied for my CCW a few weeks ago and I’m waiting the eternal wait. In the meantime, I’m trying to make sure I’m 100% clear on all the situations that may arise when carrying concealed.

I know that CC laws vary from state to state, but from what I’ve found from research, there is one law that is pretty consistent across the country. That is, if you are pulled over by a LEO for a routine traffic violation, you are to keep your hands on the steering wheel, advise the LEO that you have a concealed carry license and indicate whether or not you are carrying. I’m curious about the passengers that are in my car. Common sense would dictate that you advise your passengers to keep their hands in plain sight as well, so as not to at any time make the LEO nervous.

I’m not at all concerned about notifying my friends and family of this practice. What I’m more concerned about are my coworkers. I travel a great deal for a living, both in my home state as well as across the country. Since I make a lousy passenger, I often find myself in the driver’s seat with a host of different coworkers depending on where I’m traveling. Should I ever get pulled over, what’s the best approach whether I’m carrying or not? I don’t want to be over cautious by having any of my passengers “assume the position” if it’s not necessary. But, I also don’t want them to be subjected to the working end of an LEO’s firearm.

When I posed this question at my local sheriff’s office, to my surprise, no one could give me a straight answer.

I would greatly appreciate any advice, insight or experiences regarding this topic.

I'd recommend, if you get pulled over, having your friends assume a non-threatening position. I'd put it to them that way, then hand over your credentials to the LEO along with your license and registration. You'd like to think your co-workers would assume a non-threatening posture on their own, but, by directing them to do so, you're hopefully gaining a little peace of mind for you and for the officer. Just my $.02
    NRA member
    GrassRoots GunRights SC member
    Walther PPS .40 / KelTec P3AT

LEOs

That is actually not consistant state to state. Some require you to notify the LEO with any contact, others don't require you to notify at all. In some places your CCW is linked to your DL info and the officer gets it instantly, other places the officer may have no idea. Some states are somewhere in between. You've got to know your state's laws.

Opinions vary wether or not to notify if you are not required and some folks have strong opinions for and against. I believe in notifying personally, even though I'm not required to. If you are not required to, and you have passengers, I'd shut up unless they know or have a need to know that you carry.

If the gun is not visible to the LEO AND not in a MUST INFORM State - you are under no obligation to say anything regarding your carry license/permit - and nor would I say anything.

Got stopped once while carrying, and we are required to inform. Officer flat had no interest in where I had the firearm. Oh, all I got was a warning.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    Got stopped once while carrying, and we are required to inform. Officer flat had no interest in where I had the firearm. Oh, all I got was a warning.
    I've been pulled over twice and the leo's have been very uninterested in my weapon but unlike obxned i got a ticket twice.
    EDC's Colt Defender 45 acp and S&W 442 .38
    Springfield XD 45 acp
    Ruger SR9
    Ruger Super RedHawk .44 mag
    mossberg 590 12 gauge tactical
    bushmaster AR15-M4

I've had a couple of encounters with LEO over problems in the neighborhood (car thefts). In FL one does not have to inform...I do.
    It's never been a problem...they didn't seem to care, but I was not being investigated, ticketed, or anything else...perhaps that made a difference.
    I was simply thanked for offering the info.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Of the 32 States that I have reciprocity with only 9 require informing an officer that you have a weapon. Of course if you are asked you must inform.

If your wallet and info is handy (without digging around and possibly exposing your pistol ) I see no need to mention it. But that is up to you. I have only been stopped 3 times and informed only once since my pistol was in a crossdraw and might have been seen as I dug for my wallet.

Know the laws of the States you visit.
    bosco

Colo is a Not Required To Inform state but, the majority of the county sheriffs enter our CCWs into a database of persons of interest which contains mostly suspicious characters. e.g. Criminals, Persons w/ TROs etc. I'm told that LEOs are also in that database.

The thing that makes it bad is that no indication is given to the LEO who runs your info as to just why you are in the persons of interest database in the first place. If I were a LEO and somebody came back marked as being in the that database, I would prepare for the worst.

Therefore, I will give any Colo LEO my CHL along w/my DL, Reg & Ins Proof, just so they don't get antsy when my name cames back highlighted in RED.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by KenInColo View Post
    Colo is a Not Required To Inform state but, the majority of the county sheriffs enter our CCWs into a database of persons of interest which contains mostly suspicious characters. e.g. Criminals, Persons w/ TROs etc. I'm told that LEOs are also in that database.

The thing that makes it bad is that no indication is given to the LEO who runs your info as to just why you are in the persons of interest database in the first place. If I were a LEO and somebody came back marked as being in the that database, I would prepare for the worst.

Therefore, I will give any Colo LEO my CHL along w/my DL, Reg & Ins Proof, just so they don't get antsy when my name cames back highlighted in RED.
    Same state here and exactly my thoughts.

mkh
    Quote Originally Posted by enfd250 View Post
    there is one law that is pretty consistent across the country. That is, if you are pulled over by a LEO for a routine traffic violation, you are to keep your hands on the steering wheel, advise the LEO that you have a concealed carry license and indicate whether or not you are carrying.
    There is no law that states you have to place your hands on the steering wheel. However you should keep your hands visible and assume a non provocative position so as not to escalate the situation. You should also fol ow all of the officer's instructions - do as he tells you. You want to keep yourself safe and not appear as a threat to the officer.

As for telling the officer that varies form state to state.l

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    If you're not in a must inform state I would tell your passengers to be polite and non-threatening, then not inform unless asked. That avoids all the awkwardness with your coworkers later.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by KenInColo View Post

Isn't it a shame they didn't spend 2 minutes when they started their person of interest data base to add a column for LEO and a column for CCW holder, or seperate databases all together. Geesh thats a bad way to lump everyone together!

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    That is actually not consistant state to state. Some require you to notify the LEO with any contact, others don't require you to notify at all. In some places your CCW is linked to your DL info and the officer gets it instantly, other places the officer may have no idea. Some states are somewhere in between. You've got to know your state's laws.

Opinions vary wether or not to notify if you are not required and some folks have strong opinions for and against. I believe in notifying personally, even though I'm not required to. If you are not required to, and you have passengers, I'd shut up unless they know or have a need to know that you carry.

Here in Michigan we are required to inform, yet talking to a fellow CCW holder a few weeks ago he mentioned that the last time he was stopped for a traffic violation (or maybe it was involved in an accident, because he said there were several sherrif deputies present) he told the one he was interacting with that he had a CCW, but was not carrying. The other officers heard part of this and asked "What did he just say?" and when told asked "Why is he telling us this?" apparently they did not know the law or felt that the situation did not require disclosure.

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    Here in Michigan we are required to inform, yet talking to a fellow CCW holder a few weeks ago he mentioned that the last time he was stopped for a traffic violation (or maybe it was involved in an accident, because he said there were several sherrif deputies present) he told the one he was interacting with that he had a CCW, but was not carrying. The other officers heard part of this and asked "What did he just say?" and when told asked "Why is he telling us this?" apparently they did not know the law or felt that the situation did not require disclosure.
    Are you sure you are reading the law correctly? If you are not carrying a gun why on earth do you need to mention your license to carry to law enforcement?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links