Defensive Carry banner

Before taking CCH class...

3K views 25 replies 24 participants last post by  Tn Mitch 
#1 ·
Just a question, but you guys have been so great with advice on here, especially my "carry into someone's home" question. :smile:

So I've had to delay my CCH class until late April/Early May now. My hand is healing fine, I should be range-ready by next week, so that's no longer an issue.

My question is this: do you think it would be a wise idea to hire a private firearms instructor and get some firing practice in at the range BEFORE I start my CCH class? Or is it better to wait until after the class? Or is hiring an instructor a waste of money? It's been years since I was at the range, so I'm basically starting from scratch. Not just target practice, I need to learn everything from the ground up.

I do not own a gun yet, I was planning on shopping while waiting for the CCH permit to come in. I'm told it's taking 90-100 days or more now in NC, so that should be plenty of time to figure out what I want and then go get it. Is that the best way to go about it?

As always, thanks for all the advice!

#2 ·
I would suspect that the class will teach you everything you need to know and include range time to get proficient. I've been shooting for over 30 years, but I still need a certificate to get my CCL in some states. So, I've signed up for a class in April.

Should be fun, most of it will be review, but there will be some things I haven't run across before.

You said that you don't own a gun yet. By that statement I take it that you've never handled a gun before. If so, I would wait until the class. As I said above they'll be able to teach you everything you should know.

#5 ·
↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ :yup: ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ :yup: ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ :yup: ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ :yup: ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ :yup: ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

But look into group classes.

Also, try to find a range that permits draw from a holster.

#4 ·
I would go ahead and get with an instructor. While the CCH class will go over the basics to get you to pass the course, time for one on one with students is going to be limited. An instructor will be able to spend quality time teaching you the right way to shoot. He may also be able to help you decide on what gun is right for you. The sooner you can get your gun, the more familiar you will be with it, and become comfortable and proficient with it as well.

#6 ·
Training is never a bad idea, it will give you more confidence. Just try to not revert back to any old bad habits you may have had and practice what you are taught and it will not be a waste of money. Good luck.

#7 ·
Absolutely train as much as possible. You won't learn much about shooting at the typical CCL class. To shoot a weapon confidently and use it expertly will require more than you'll learn in that class. IMO, you'll just get enough to pass the test and hit a target ( one that one-eyed Jack with epilepsy wouldn't miss). The more you learn, and the better you shoot ,the better off you'll be if you ever need your weapon. Practice until it's automatic and fast, drawing,firing at least 2 (more is better IMO) at center of mass . Learn to shoot with both hands and each hand separately too. If you carry an auto learn to clear a jam and reload quickly . If the SHTF you won't have time to stop and think. You can never be too trained.

#8 ·
I have taken the NC CCH class and when you take it you have to
qualify with your own hand gun and be proficient with it. It is not a
hard qualification excercise, you have to put 28 out of 40 rounds in the
black on a silhouette target, in different timed sequences. I would
suggest that you have plenty of range time and be very familar with
your gun. Good Luck!

#9 ·
In Kentucky, the course consists of a very basic introduction to firearms, a primer on concealed carry and live fire qualification @ seven yards. It's helpful not to be all thumbs with your gun, but "training" in itself is unnecessary.

Bear in mind that I'm commenting on the need to buy professional training as prep for your CCH class. Like most (all, probably) folks here, I think training and practice are very important.

#10 ·
Please, get more training. Try to find a place that has a shoot house and force-on-force training. The basic instruction you will receive in the law, gun safety and proficiency in your CCW class will not come close to preparing you for a real-world conflict. The best thing about really good training is that it will prepare you for all of the situations that look to the untrained eye like they should be armed conflicts, but really aren't. Those are the situations you really need to understand.

#11 ·
There is always time to learn something else new...get training every chance you get...OMO.:hand10:

#12 ·
Mandatory concealed carry courses vary quite a bit from state to state. Find out the required curriculum for your state.

The course I had to take in MA required me to be able to hit the target at 15 yards. And my instructor had a slew of guns that I was able to try. We even field stripped every one. I was fortunate to take a one on one course.

The course I took in FL was completely different. Before I took the class I had to shoot at a target but it didn't matter what the distance was. They wanted safe gun handling skills. But they weren't there to teach that. They concentrated on the class room. More legal and mind set type instruction.

I learned something from both classes. And enjoyed them too!

At the very least try to get out and shoot with a buddy before you take your class. If you can get some training do so.

Good luck.

#13 ·
I have to go with everybody and say get training. Also remember, there are two types of training: The basic firearms handling training and Defensive training. The first one teaches you how to safely manipulate and fire a gun and the other teaches you how to conduct yourself in case of an attack where a weapon may come into play. GET BOTH. For your class, start with a good instructor in basic firearms safety and then practice for your class. As soon as you can then go for the defensive training which is the reason you are getting the permit to begin with. Get a good instructor for both.

#14 ·
Bunny, as others have said, CCW classes vary quite a bit from State to State as well as from different CCW instructors within a State.

My State requires 4 hours class time and 4 hours shooting on the range. We also had to pass the shooting portion with both a semi-automatic pistol and a revolver as per Mo. State CCW statutes.

Our instructor furnished all the guns and ammo, as he explained to us to reduce liability and also because some students do not own both types of guns. He had control of the guns and knew they were operationally sound, and not dangerous. However, some CCW instructors in the State require you to bring your own weapons and ammo. (In my class we shot .38 spl. snub nose revolvers and .380 acp semi-automatics. Fairly easy guns to handle by most, but not everybody. I've heard some classes even use .22 LR for the guns) We got to shoot 50 rounds in each type of gun for practice and then 25 rounds in each gun for the test score. 150 rounds total. We only had 5 people in my class so the instructor had time to work with those who needed help but these days, classes really get full and you may not get a lot of individual assistance in your class.

So first off, I would call and ask what is required for you to attend the class you will be taking.

Secondly, while you are waiting to take your CCW class, I would certainly try to take a Basic Pistol Class. Whether you are able to find an NRA Basic Pistol class or from some other group, I know it will help immensely.

If you can not find a Basic Pistol Class in the time before you attend your class, then seek out a public shooting range in your area and go talk with them. See if one of the range people will work with you in preparation for your CCW class.

Once you obtain your CCW permit, you would benefit greatly from taking as much training as you can afford to. You will certainly be able to afford more range time by yourself or friends than you can afford to go to organized training classes so shoot as often as you can and do try to take specialized classes when you can. Like Miggy said, there are two different types of firearms training. Shooting & gun handling classes and Defensive training.

It will also help you to visit this forum as much as you can. You will learn a lot and be able to get a lot of your questions answered here. Just remember, this is an internet forum so you get opinions and information that you will have to judge for yourself whether it is valid or applicable for you. However, as gun forums go, I believe this is one of the best anywhere.

If you spend any time here at all, you will quickly realize that when it comes to using deadly force against an attacker, you can not have too much knowledge of the subject matter. As a matter of fact, the less you have, the more trouble you can get into.

Carrying a gun is as serious as serious can get. We talk about killing people here, and how to do it expeditiously, and how not to get killed ourselves, and you owe it to yourself, and your loved ones to do it right and learn as much as you can.

A lot of us here look at carrying a gun as a way of life and we are committed to be lifelong students in the art of lethal force and self defense. If you treat it as just a hobby, it can have disastrous consequences.

So, by all means... If you have time before your CCW class, I sure would get some shooting time and training in ahead of time, if possible.

Again, welcome to our little home and hope you find this a place you'd like to hang out. :comeandgetsome:

+1 on everything in Miggy's post! :hand10:

#15 ·
I was a target shooter for years, then had a shoulder injury that prevented me from shooting for several years. Adding a crimson trace to my handgun has allowed me to start shooting again.

I took my CCW class at a very large, well known gun store/range. It was quite a drive from my home - but very well worth it. I had excellent, very knowledgeable teachers.

I met a woman there who is an instructor, and I am starting to take individual lessons from her, once a month.

I would take the lessons -- hands down.

BUT -- do some research. Go to the training part of this site, ask who teaches in N. Carolina. Find out if there is a N. Carolina firearms forum. If there is, join it. Again, find out who the good teachers are, where the best range is. You may find out about a weekend training class to attend, or a specific instructor that you would never have known about.

A large facility with a good instructor is going to have a lot of weapons for you to try out... and will have good advice on what to purchace. When I took my class, they passed out certificates for 10% off any one time purchase of anything in the store -- I saved a bundle on a new revolver, and all the stuff to go with it that I was wanting and didn't have...

Good luck, and welcome to the ladies who carry club!

#17 ·
I know when they teach CCW at Isothermal Community College in Spindale, the student is required to show up for class number two (as I recall) with their firearm of choice in hand. For the last class, both firearm and bullets will be required.

I agree with the others, get as much training and shooting time under your belt as possible. That way, when you go to qualify, your hand won't shake and you'll actually be able to load (and unload) and fire your pistol with confidence.

In South Carolina, the student is required to fire only five cartridges at a time. There's the first shoot at a distance of 15 feet and all five bullets have to be fired in a matter of seconds. Next volley of five requires stepping back so many feet (can't quite remember... as it's been some time) and letting go, again, within a time perior. For the remaining volleys, the student is instructed to step further back and fire at longer timed intervals. This process continues until a total of 50 rounds have been fired. The instructor then takes the target and marks off the good hits. That score accompanies the instructor's signed testimony that you actually did do the shooting and qualified.

As I recall, NC requires a firing of 100 rounds.

#18 ·
NC requires you to fire 40 rounds, not 100. More barracks lawyers - sheesh....

It only took me 51 days to get my CHP in Wake County after submitting all the required forms and fingerprints.

Missus Mac and I trained at the range before the class and befriended a couple former LEOs who work there. We also spent big bucks on our Kimbers and my Sig P226 with them.

They saw us shooting well and handling our weapons properly, so they had us qualify the day before the classroom training to avoid the formal range qualification day that is always crowded with newbies. In my experience, one would have to try to fail the practical shooting part. I am far from a seasoned pistol shooter, and didn't even have one hole outside a six-inch circle.

We have .22s and could have qualified with those, but decided to use our carry guns just on the principle of it. I qualified with my P226 and the missus with her Kimber.

The classroom session was an eight hour Saturday affair. They guy who taught it was very good - someone from the Department of Justice. There were 108 other people in the class with us that day. Fortunately, we had already qualified on the range. We got our certificates at the end of the classroom day after each hitting 100% in the written exam.

You'll do fine.

However, the one-day "training" you get in an NC state-required course is not going to be all one could desire. We are taking a tactical three-day course next month to continue our education in order to be safe and experienced gun owners.

#19 ·
I don't know what the requirements are in your state, but in Texas you qualify from 3, 7 and 15 yds with a LARGE silhouette target. It is pretty hard not to pass the range profficiency part. The written is even easier since the instructor gives you the answers. Good luck though.

#20 ·
Bunny, listen to crewchief. Here in NC, unless you have an arrangement w/your CCW instructor, they will anticipate that you bring your own weapon and ammo and that you have some basic level of competency, if not more than basic. As for purchasing, you need to have your CCW permit to buy or you need to submit for a permit to purchase prior to getting your CCW permit. And, per others comments, you can never have enough training and range time. Maybe you should go ahead and get shopping (and get your purchase permit from your sheriff's office) and see if you can't get some training/range time prior to the course. Those instructors really don't want to train you on the basics. They'd prefer training you on legals aspects, safety aspects, self defense, carry options, etc. The shooting part of the course is to confirm that you can already handle the basics of safety and shooting at 3, 7 and 10 yards. And finally, you'll be taking up time and energy of the others in the class by being unprepared.

All that said, many will also be fairly new so don't be nervous. Just be prepared.

#21 ·
I took the NC class and there were several people in the class that had not fired a handgun before. Of course it is good to get training and be proficient before you are carrying a gun, but you don't necessarily need to get training just for the class. Best thing would be to talk with your instructor beforehand.

#22 ·
Thanks, everyone!

I spoke to the instructors last week, and they furnish guns and ammo for us, or we can bring our own. We are required to have our own eye and ear protection, that's all. (And I think they sell it, too.)

I believe in NC you have to qualify with only 40 bullets. I have handled a gun before, several in fact, but not since Freshman Year of college, and I'm...well it was years ago. :embarassed:

The instructor said I can stay after class if I'd like to and get additional time in at the range, and he'll bring several different types of guns that he recommends for CC. That way, I can find out what works best for me before I buy one of my own.

I am going to ask about all the other stuff you guys talked about, thank you again so much for all the great advice! Soon, I won't feel like such a clueless noob.

#24 ·
Nothing beats one-on-one training from a pro. I got my first firearm instruction from one of the best, my Drill Sergeant in basic training 25 years before I got my ccp.

Go for it. :yup:

Now, 100-day waiting period in Mecklenberg County is ridiculous.:confused:

#25 ·
Nothing beats one-on-one training from a pro. I got my first firearm instruction from one of the best, my Drill Sergeant in basic training 25 years before I got my ccp.
FWIIW -- In the 50 years since my boot camp training a lot has changes in professional opinion re: stance and grip. :smile:

The down side is that I sometimes find the "old ways" slipping back in -- esp. grip. :embarassed:

But that is just a good excuse for more practice/range time. :smile: :smile:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.