Just another Hypo-Thetical

This is a discussion on Just another Hypo-Thetical within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So... Your wife has a tire issue and pulls over to call you. You get in the truck and head out just about 10 minutes ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just another Hypo-Thetical

Just another Hypo-Thetical

So...

Your wife has a tire issue and pulls over to call you. You get in the truck and head out just about 10 minutes behind her. When you get there, a county sheriff is helping her. You walk up CCW, introduce your self to the sheriff. Do you inform him your are CCW and if so how do you do it?

2. Remove Ads

I don't know if laws vary from state to state but most posts on this subject in the past have stated that if the LEO asks for your I.D. that would be when you are required to tell him you are carrying and show your CCW if required by law to do so.

I imagine most of the time a simple "Hey honey" to your significant other should end the confusion. Even if you are required to announce CCW to LE, this should not consitute a "detention" or "stop" or however local law phrases it. It's almost like telling every cop you walk by that you have a gun. I think "that's my wife" should do it. Sorry for the over kill here.

I don't think any situation like this requires notification, even if your state requires it. Now, I may be very wrong. But, do you notify when you pass an officer on a side-walk or eat in the same restaurant. I see this situations as basically the same.
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

Nope
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Quote Originally Posted by BamaSteve View Post
    I don't think any situation like this requires notification, even if your state requires it. Now, I may be very wrong. But, do you notify when you pass an officer on a side-walk or eat in the same restaurant. I see this situations as basically the same.
    I agree...not necessary here.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I agree...not necessary here.
    +1

I would say no. (I am also not an attorney) But, like others have said, you do not tell every LEO you walk by in public that you are carrying a gun. Or if you are sharing the same restaurant.

Now, if after you fix your wife's tire, the LEO turns to you and says, "I notice your license plates are expired. Can I see your license and registration?" Then he would be conducting "official business" and you would be required to inform him at that point if your State ccw statute requires you.

My State, does not require you to inform unless he asks you directly.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

You do not have to notify unless he asks for ID.

Are you gonna walk around and just tell every cop you pass that you're carrying? Might as well have a clip so you can pin the permit to your shirt LOL
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Quote Originally Posted by AllAmerican View Post
    You do not have to notify unless he asks for ID.

Are you gonna walk around and just tell every cop you pass that you're carrying? Might as well have a clip so you can pin the permit to your shirt LOL
    Or we could just get badges!!!

In the situation you described, I would not inform the officer. I would simply thank him for helping my wife. I see no need to bring up the subject of a firearm.
    NRA life member.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I think it depends. When you pull up he might get a little twitchy; I doubt it but you never know. Be friendly, because that will probably make him friendly as well. If he were antsy I might just so as not to cause more problems later; however, 99% of the time I agree with the consensus on here and say no.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

VIP Member
    I would say it is not required, even in a "must inform" state. You are not dealing with the LEO in an official capacity.

Problem with new CCW holders

This seems to be a recurring problem with those folks who have just gotten their CCW: Nervousness.

The longer you carry, the easier it gets for you. After awhile, you'll develop a 'poker face' and not get flustered about this issue.

Of course, you do not volunteer any information about your carrying. You give such information only when directly asked by the proper authority; otherwise, you'll likely provoke suspicion. Situations such as you describe should have been covered in your CCW training class.

I don't know what state you live in, but in Texas in that situation you are not obligated to inform the leo of your status.
    EDC's Colt Defender 45 acp and S&W 442 .38
    Springfield XD 45 acp
    Ruger SR9
    Ruger Super RedHawk .44 mag
    mossberg 590 12 gauge tactical
    bushmaster AR15-M4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links