What's Proper To Say Or To Do?

This is a discussion on What's Proper To Say Or To Do? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Decided to go out to have fun. Your friends / family members and you are going to a place for some kind of fun entertainment. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's Proper To Say Or To Do?

Decided to go out to have fun. Your friends / family members and you are going to a place for some kind of fun entertainment. You scanned for 30.06 or 51% see nothing. As you entered a building, you see people going through metal detector. Once you go through, its went off. Someone (a manager or security) asked you to empty your pockets and you did. Go through metal detector again, stilll went off. Used Wand detector and it beeps where your firearm is at. Asked you what's in there. What would you do ? Whats properly way to say or do ?

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    See metal detector, go to different place or put weapon in vehicle.
    I'll spend my money elsewhere if at all possible.

VIP Member
    Just tell them the truth, that it is a lawfully carried weapon. There is only 2 things they can do, either admit you, or return your money (if already paid) and turn you away.

VIP Member
    If there are no signs, perhaps just show CWP to security? Most here won't like this, I'm not going to do this, but if you are intent on going there (and it's legal) tell them when they ask. Or ask to speak to security manager privately, perhaps it's ok to go in with CCW, but they want to know about it. Ask to speak to security manager BEFORE you go through the metal detector. They will let you know wheather it's ok there or not.

Just an idea
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Well, a metal detector is a pretty good clue that they are trying to prevent weapons on the property. Sorry if this sounds sarcastic but,
    "they didn't spend the money for a metal detector to see if you had coins in your pocket"
    NRA life member.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Before I even got there I would show my license. The may be looking for unlicensed weapons.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Quote Originally Posted by Dakota97 View Post
    Well, a metal detector is a pretty good clue that they are trying to prevent weapons on the property. Sorry if this sounds sarcastic but,
    "they didn't spend the money for a metal detector to see if you had coins in your pocket"
    pretty good point.
    It was obvious they did not want guns in there.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Before I even got there I would show my license. The may be looking for unlicensed weapons.
    +1...My point in my first reply.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

I do vehicle evaluations every so often and there they have a strict policy of "no recording or communication equipment of any sorts". Guess what that means? A wand..... So what do I do? I tell the guy quietly that it will beep at my right side, I give him a short explanation that I'm have it legally and if need be, show him the proof. Never had an issue.

More and more people are turning pro gun.I would ask to speak to the manager.

VIP Member
    I would speak to security before going through. Explain I had a license and am carrying a legal weapon. If they want to refuse me then I'll tell 'em I've gone through background checks and am 100% legal to carry, and that I'd make sure I spread the word that legally armed people are refused at their business.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

talk to the security personnel before you get to the metal detector.
    EDC's Colt Defender 45 acp and S&W 442 .38
    Springfield XD 45 acp
    Ruger SR9
    Ruger Super RedHawk .44 mag
    mossberg 590 12 gauge tactical
    bushmaster AR15-M4

I am real curious as to why the two attempts to go through the metal detector in the first place? Did you really think you would make it through either time?

I would take everything metal out of my pockets and my gun out of it's holster and plop it all down in the little tray and go through the detector, then retrieve my metal stuff, put my gun back in the holster and be on my way...

Just kidding! Talk to security before even going through it the first time, you know you aren't going to make it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakota97 View Post
    Exactly. Not inspecting for loose change.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    I am real curious as to why the two attempts to go through the metal detector in the first place? Did you really think you would make it through either time?

I would take everything metal out of my pockets and my gun out of it's holster and plop it all down in the little tray and go through the detector, then retrieve my metal stuff, put my gun back in the holster and be on my way...

Just kidding! Talk to security before even going through it the first time, you know you aren't going to make it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links