Coming to Utah from NC!

Coming to Utah from NC!

This is a discussion on Coming to Utah from NC! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'll be coming to Utah for some meetings next month. I recently received my NC CHP, and have spent a great deal of time on ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coming to Utah from NC!

Coming to Utah from NC!

I'll be coming to Utah for some meetings next month. I recently received my NC CHP, and have spent a great deal of time on the handgunlaw.us site.

Since Utah seems very receptive to us cc-ers, I am going to use this trip as a shake-down cruise for learning to travel with a handgun and cc in another state. I'll be flying in with my Kimber CDP in a locked case, a separate box of Gold Dots, and a couple holsters.

I think I will be around a conference center and hotels mostly. The conference may be out-of-bounds, but the rest of time, I will cc. Utah looks much less restrictive than even NC. They not only allow you to cc at a restaurant that serves alcohol, they even say the airport (outside of the "secure" areas) is cool.

Any "gotchas" from you experienced travelers or Utah residents out there?

VIP Member
    Do you know if you are gointg to THE Coference Center? If so, you CAN NOT carry there, (houses of worship are a no no in Utah). Doesn't matter which religion, ALL are off limits. Other than that, Utah is quite un-restrictive.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    Do you know if you are gointg to THE Coference Center? If so, you CAN NOT carry there, (houses of worship are a no no in Utah). Doesn't matter which religion, ALL are off limits. Other than that, Utah is quite un-restrictive.
    Naw - this ain't a religious thang. I will be going to a smaller town a couple hours outside of Salt Lake City. I am speaking at a gathering of government officials. It may be in a (non-religious) conference center or perhaps even a government building - I am waiting to hear. I am assuming I will not carry that day.

VIP Member
    Which town?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Richfield

VIP Member
    You might also want to consider adding a Utah non-res permit to your resume. NC is widely accepted but you'll pick up Nevada, Wyoming and Minnesota. I believe you can't have too many permits, especially in this political climate.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

VIP Member
    That is a small mostly rural town, other than a Gov't building, you won't have (shouldn't have) any problems. Enjoy the beautiful mountains around and have a good and safe time in Utah.
    Thomas Jefferson

That is a small mostly rural town, other than a Gov't building, you won't have (shouldn't have) any problems. Enjoy the beautiful mountains around and have a good and safe time in Utah.
    Thank you. I have been to Utah only once before, but really liked the people and the scenery. I am looking to see more of the state on this visit. The missus would like to come to ski, but can't join me on this trip.

I appreicate the tip on the non-resident permit. I will have to see if my course completion in NC qualifies. If not, more traning for me, I guess.

The LDS church is the only church that has restricted CC and at the present time this is in question as they have not taken the steps to renew there no carry policy. Other then that no other churches have restricted CC. Utah is very CC friendly, one can carry any where but Federal buildings, Airports and State restricted areas such as a court house, mental facility or other type facility. Signs mean nothing in Utah. For a Utah resident there is no CC restrictions for schools or university's but I am not sure for an out of State permit what the rules are.

I invite both of you to visit UtahConcealedCarry.Com • Index page. This site might be better to answer your questions and kill the rumors and wrong information.

VIP Member
    Interesting, I was told by my CFP instructor, and have read that my statement is correct. I will definately check that link out. Thanks for posting it muddy.
    Thomas Jefferson

If you CC in utah you need the "Utah Gun Laws 3rd addition. It can be found on the web as well as Impact arms. This book is a great source of information for Utah carry laws.

Quote Originally Posted by muddy View Post
    The LDS church is the only church that has restricted CC and at the present time this is in question as they have not taken the steps to renew there no carry policy. Other then that no other churches have restricted CC. Utah is very CC friendly, one can carry any where but Federal buildings, Airports and State restricted areas such as a court house, mental facility or other type facility. Signs mean nothing in Utah. For a Utah resident there is no CC restrictions for schools or university's but I am not sure for an out of State permit what the rules are.

I invite both of you to visit UtahConcealedCarry.Com • Index page. This site might be better to answer your questions and kill the rumors and wrong information.
    Actually, according to handgunlaw.us (I know, not legally defensible), all airport areas and parking lots OK for cc, EXCEPT "secure" areas (the "TSA line").

Plus, I am hoping I don't need to read entire books simply to travel with my ccw. I realize the more education the better, however, I travel to LOTS of places frequently for my day job. I want to be safe and legal in as many places as possible. I simply don't have the brain capacity to read a book on every state where I travel. This week alone, I have been in four states and the District of Columbia.

That's just how I roll, baby.

You are correct about airports. I don't know what to tell you about keeping laws straight other then figure out how to make a cheat sheet with the important laws that pertain to where you will be carrying. I for one am trying to acquire the necessary State carry info through books or web sites to make a cheat sheet for my travels. Utah is very CC friendly and I carry everywhere all day long except for work. But for example say I am in Arizona and go into a dinner that serves alcohol, well in Utah this is a non issue but in AZ its illegal. Its the little things like this, school zones, and what signs mean in certain States that can get a guy into hot water.

Better to spend a little time reading then spend it in jail with money, and your CC permit on the line.

The LDS church updated their NO CARRY status on Feb 24, 2009. Other than that, you're good to go.

2 new laws were recently passed, but I'm not sure if they've been signed yet by the Governor. One says that you don't have to have a permit to have a loaded gun in your car.

The other says that you can leave your out of sight gun in a locked car even in a private parking lot. So your employer can't make you leave it at home when you come to work. Some restrictions apply.

Hope your visit is a good one.
    ~Coriantan~

"When seconds count, the police are only minutes away." * "Don't bring a knife to a gun fight."

I'd agree with Muddy with 99.9% certainty. LDS church grounds and state/federal buildings are the only off limits areas. I've also asked a couple cops about a 51% restriction and they say yes, but I've spent hours reading trying to find it and never did. Hope you enjoy your visit Mac.
    Strike First, Strike Fast, Strike Hard!

SA XD-40 Subcompact

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links