How many avoid flying, drive instead?

This is a discussion on How many avoid flying, drive instead? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have not been on a plane in 22 years. I've taken many vacations, but I always drive. I've driven 12-13 hours one way (about ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many avoid flying, drive instead?

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar

Question How many avoid flying, drive instead?

I have not been on a plane in 22 years. I've taken many vacations, but I always drive. I've driven 12-13 hours one way (about 750 miles) several times and taken a couple of trips "cross country".
    I don't like the thought of being unarmed in the airport upon arrival, unarmed on the plane, and unarmed after getting off the plane while waiting for luggage.
    I really don't like the thought of getting to my destination and the luggage not arriving, thus being unarmed for additional time (possibly the whole trip).
    I've only looked at flying from a concealed carry perspective, when I think about how fast airplanes hit if / when they crash, well that's another issue.

Anyone else prefer driving?

I'll add: I've not been in a position where I had to fly and it's not likely I will, but I've seen excellent tips on other threads in the Defensive Carry forums about how to check firearms at the airport.

2. Remove Ads

I wish I had that option, but getting to/from California from the east coast for a one-day business trip, and to/from Europe is a real pain unless you fly.

My last trip to Hong Kong would have been challenging without a big, old triple-seven and a business class seat.

That would be me...I've only flown I think maybe twice since all the TSA BS started after Sept 11th. Thankfully, I haven't had to travel cross country yet, but I have gone up and down the east coast several times.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Definately prefer to drive...
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    If you really need it, you will need it really fast. ALWAYS one in the chamber.
    Nuf said!

VIP Member
    I much prefer to fly, however I'm not looking at it from a CC standpoint. I LOVE to fly, I have my Private Pilots licence with an Intrument rating, and Multi-engine rating. There are VERY FEW things I'd rather do than fly.

From a CC view, I drive more, but I don't usually travel too far where driving is much of an inconvenience.
    Last edited by sigmanluke; March 16th, 2009 at 04:20 PM. Reason: More info
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

I hate flying since the TSA and the Muslims have made it such a hassle. I will drive almost every time now.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

I drive unless it's for business... And if it's for business I can't be armed anyways...

It sucks, but it's a job.

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    I LOVE to fly, I have my Private Pilots licence with an Intrument rating, and Multi-engine rating. There are VERY FEW things I'd rather do than fly.
    What kind of equipment are you current on?

These days, I wish I had not let my medical lapse as punching holes in the sky sounds like a good escape from this mess we have on the ground. Before my little brother passed, he was going to help me get my glider endorsement as he had his commercial rating. Another reason I miss him.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    I much prefer to fly. I do not feel that I am any danger from terrorists in the plane or airport.
    I don't have the stamina to drive long distances anymore either.

Regards,
    Jerry

VIP Member
    My current plane is a Diamond TwinStar with a Garmin 1000. It is sooooo much fun to fly. Not the fastest twin by any means, but It runs on JetA and sips at only 5 galons per hour per side! What was the last thing you flew?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

I really do like to fly but I do not travel extremely long distances muc anymore. Most trips I have made can be done easily in a day. I think I would still consider flying again if the trip involved two or more days of driving. There really is not fear factor in flying. I am more likely to get killed by a drunk driver on the roads then having something happen while flying. All I know is that if I fly I want that pilot flying my plane, the guy who managed the landing in the Hudson.
    JimH
    Kentucky
    S&W 442, Bersa 380, S&W 9mm M&P, Springfield XD40c
    Member: NRA, USCCA

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    My current plane is a Diamond TwinStar with a Garmin 1000. It is sooooo much fun to fly. Not the fastest twin by any means, but It runs on JetA and sips at only 5 galons per hour per side! What was the last thing you flew?
    You're lucky I don't live close to you or I would be working myself up to ask for a ride. I've never seen one up close, but I'm impressed with what I have read.

The last plane I flew as PIC (Pilot In Command for you non pilots) was a Grumman American Tiger. One trip I called into Erie tower "Grumman American Tiger, ten miles out, landing." A minute or so later he came back to me with, "That's not quite the size or speed Grumman equipment I imagined."

Used to fly a Cessna 320 for business, just not as PIC. No instrument rating, no multi-engine rating.

Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

VIP Member
    I definitely prefer to drive as well. I know one is supposed to be statistically safer flying in an airplane than driving, but that doesn't factor in being disarmed at one's destination.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

I only fly when I have a Dash 1 Charlie parachute strapped on my back.

Or when I absolutely have to.
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

I fly when it makes sense from a time and cost perspective to fly and I drive when it makes sense to drive. My ability to cc has nothing to do with my decision which to do.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links