Declare at an ID check / DWI checkpoint?

This is a discussion on Declare at an ID check / DWI checkpoint? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, I'm in NC - does anybody know if we need to declare CCW at a checkpoint set up to catch DWI drivers? I usually ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Declare at an ID check / DWI checkpoint?

Declare at an ID check / DWI checkpoint?

Hi,

I'm in NC - does anybody know if we need to declare CCW at a checkpoint set up to catch DWI drivers? I usually just show my license and get on with life.

Thanks,
    Tom

2. Remove Ads

The way I interpret the NC law is that if you are approached by a LEO in the performance of his/her duties, you need to disclose. I understand that they often don't run your tag at such a stop (unless they find you suspect), but I would do it.

In NC, they tie your CHP to your driver's license. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

VIP Member
    I'm not sure what you have to do legally, but in this scenario, I'd disclose every time.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

I would be tempted to ask about the 4th amendment or even the 5th at a DWL check point.

Then as I'm being arrested for getting smart with the Police I'd disclose my CHL status.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

My NC CCW Instructor told us that upon a stop by LEO, Place both hands on the steering wheel and as soon as the officer reaches your window disclose the fact that "you have a CCW license and that you are armed and the location of your weapon. How would you like to proceed from here"? Do not make any moves unless directed to by the LEO.
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

Quote Originally Posted by NCTom View Post
    Hi,

I'm in NC - does anybody know if we need to declare CCW at a checkpoint set up to catch DWI drivers? I usually just show my license and get on with life.

Thanks,
    Tom
    Did you take a concealed carry class? I'm surprised you would need to ask if you did take the class. Our instructor (NC) said you must always inform an officer if they approach you in their line of duty.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    If it were here in Michigan, we'd be required, because the verbiage of our law requires us to inform "when stopped" by a LEO. But here in Michigan, I'd be shocked to see a "checkpoint" as described. Doesn't happen.

I do understand that they've somehow been ruled as "not un Constitutional", but for the life of me I don't see how...

For the OP question, I found this when searching NC sites linked from Handgunlaw.US.
    You must tell any approaching law enforcement officer that you are carrying a concealed handgun.
    If the actual law reads substantially the same, then yes, you must notify. If they're looking for DUI/DWI, they are likely to wave you on quickly once you mention a concealed carry license I suspect.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Haven't you read the back of your permit?

I'm screaming from DURHAM.. YES YES YES YES

Quote Originally Posted by ncglock View Post
    I'm screaming from DURHAM.. YES YES YES YES
    Well said.........

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    I'm not sure what you have to do legally, but in this scenario, I'd disclose every time.
    I think sigmamluke is right
    EDC's Colt Defender 45 acp and S&W 442 .38
    Springfield XD 45 acp
    Ruger SR9
    Ruger Super RedHawk .44 mag
    mossberg 590 12 gauge tactical
    bushmaster AR15-M4

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    Even if you're not carrying, it is correct that the permit its tied to your license. The LEO checks you out and finds out "oh, you didn't tell me something". When he approaches you again, it won't be friendly. Just tell 'em; Yep I'm carrying or no I'm not. My instructor thought it wasn't worth mention if you weren't carrying but I've since decided that he might have spent too much time not thinking very clearly.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
    If it were here in Michigan, we'd be required, because the verbiage of our law requires us to inform "when stopped" by a LEO. But here in Michigan, I'd be shocked to see a "checkpoint" as described. Doesn't happen.

I do understand that they've somehow been ruled as "not un Constitutional", but for the life of me I don't see how...

For the OP question, I found this when searching NC sites linked from Handgunlaw.US.

If the actual law reads substantially the same, then yes, you must notify. If they're looking for DUI/DWI, they are likely to wave you on quickly once you mention a concealed carry license I suspect.
    I think this tends to be more of a southern thing. My in laws from Ohio were absolutely shocked when we went through one once when they were visiting us. I would say that in the last decade I have been through at least 6 roadblocks where I have had to present my "papers". I don't inform because I don't have to in Ga. If your laws say you do, then you must.

I remember a thread on here a long time ago from another Ga. member that did inform during a roadblock and wound up with a crazy rookie state trooper pushing a G22 in his face with his finger on the trigger!

I support LEOs but these seem to be nothing more than potential fishing expeditions that violate my 4th amendment rights.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

In FL, you do not have to notify, but I would for a regular stop.
    Going through a "Papers please?" processing checkpoint...I don't think I would mention it...no need to!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Not to get off of subject but in north FL. they notify the public as where these check points are. NEWS/Paper /ect.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links