Eyes not as good as they used to be

This is a discussion on Eyes not as good as they used to be within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am 57 years old, and had great eyesight until several years ago. Now I have a very useful pair of eyeglasses that allow me ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eyes not as good as they used to be

Eyes not as good as they used to be

I am 57 years old, and had great eyesight until several years ago. Now I have a very useful pair of eyeglasses that allow me to read and also have a slight distance correction that helps alot. The safety plastic they are made of allows me to use them on the range, instead of protective eyewear.
    I always focus on the front sight before shooting, and now I find that my head is tilted way back in order to see the front sight, whereas before, I held my head down to sight. Increases time to fire.
    Maybe the way it goes with us old guys, I'll never give up, just wondering if any other old guy wants to offer how he deals with this issue.
    Thanks,
    Shoguneddie

2. Remove Ads

I put Meprolight nighht sights,and Crimsion Trace Laser Grips on both my EDC guns,Glock 27.40 cal.S&W M&P 40 cal. now I just point and shoot,all I have to do at night is wake up,reach over to my night stand,,pick up the M&P40,15 round mag,and as soon as I have a grip on it the Laser comes on automaticly, surelight flashlight right beside it.no time to put on glasses....better say the right pasword....applepie....

I took an unsighted fire course from Brownie. I'm not doing any bullseye shooting, but my confidence went up 500% for defensive shooting out to 15-20 yards. There are a couple new threads in the training section about one of his courses.
    Threat Focused Forums - Powered by vBulletin
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I'm going tru the same thing ,I also put a set of crimson trace lasers on my EDC's
    EDC's Colt Defender 45 acp and S&W 442 .38
    Springfield XD 45 acp
    Ruger SR9
    Ruger Super RedHawk .44 mag
    mossberg 590 12 gauge tactical
    bushmaster AR15-M4

I use Trijicon Night Sights and Crimson Trace Laser Grips to help with sighting issues.

Prior to that I was using a Hi-Viz type sight that my Gunsmith made specifically for my gun/load combo's. I'm referring to the Fixed Sight Revolvers that I favor.

My High Power has the Night Sights and the Laser Grip and I plan to eventually put the laser on all my defensive guns.

Biker

kpw
    I have a buddy that turns his bifocals upside-down at the range. Not real practical but he can shoot. My dad is warming up to the Big Dot. He's 66, won't wear his glasses and it's about the only sight he can make out anymore. Hopefully, I still have a few years.

Burris FastFire™

Trijicon

EOTech

My 62 year-old eyes depend upon either Meps or Trij's, and it makes darkness or dim light much easier to shoot in...
    The large white dots aren't too bad during the day.

Stay armed...in the 60's...what doesn't hurt, doesn't work...it's either too tight or it leaks...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Here's what I'm seeing
    -traditional 3 dot get harder and harder to acquire quickly as the sight goes bad. The trench sight on my Colt New Agent is easer

-Point Shooting, Point Shooting, Point Shooting; it's practical, easy to learn (even on your own) and it's very sutiable to defensive situations and poor eye sight

-larger front; forget about the rear (leads into point shooting)

-I haven't done this yet but I'm starting to think that now might be the time when a laser grips serves a purpose! Even with my eyes I can see the dot well

Another issue we have to be thinking about is seeing the target clearly. When my glasses are off I can see my sights perfectly but the target is blurry at 10 yards. We'll have to be careful in identifying the target or probably what's in their hand.

And you're right, we don't give up! I still love to shoot but it has saddened me that I simply can't shoot like I used to . Used to take out bumble bee's hovering over clover with a BB gun. Now a tennis ball sized grouping at 7 yards is great and thank God for scopes!!

I have an Eotech 512 on my AR-15. With glasses it's a really cool red circle with a red dot inside. Without my glasses it's a shower of red splinters. Quite pretty actually. Could still uses it but wow

For all of you young guns out there....just wait, your time's a com'in

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan4x4 View Post
    I'm going tru the same thing ,I also put a set of crimson trace lasers on my EDC's
    Thats what I did,Im hoping if I ever have to put that red dot on someones chest,that will ne enough to show them thay I mean it ,without having to shoot them,I would rather they ran away,If I was in a situation,where I had the chance to give them that chance,meaning,they didnt have a gun trained on me,and I had some distance between me and them,to move...If you have a $600.00 gun,its gonna cost you have of the guns price,but what price can you put on a life????

Glock 27 40 cal. S&W M&P fs 40 cal.

I tried to seach around, but couldnt find the name of the company on the net...

There is a company I have seen at the last few gun shows specifically designed to help train/retrain the eyes to focus in on and see targets far away.

It was a simple device, just looked like a contact lens that is put onto glasses and you focus through a small openeing in that lense to a target, inturn training your eye(s) to see further away...

Cost at the show was around $25 for a pair.... dont really know if they work, but it made sense that they would (just like training any muscle I guess)

Thought Id throw it out there, and maybe someone knows the name of the company and if they actually work...

I use TFO's and had a perscription made so my shooting glasses vision is 1 yd to 20+yds to focus on the sights and the target. For up close / defensive practice, a flash picture with my daily eye wear works OK!
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Quote Originally Posted by shoguneddie View Post
    I am 57 years old, and had great eyesight until several years ago. Now I have a very useful pair of eyeglasses that allow me to read and also have a slight distance correction that helps alot. The safety plastic they are made of allows me to use them on the range, instead of protective eyewear.
    I always focus on the front sight before shooting, and now I find that my head is tilted way back in order to see the front sight, whereas before, I held my head down to sight. Increases time to fire.
    Maybe the way it goes with us old guys, I'll never give up, just wondering if any other old guy wants to offer how he deals with this issue.
    Thanks,
    Shoguneddie
    I'm a little older than you, but have a simular problem. I have always practiced point shooting, so SD parctice isn't a problem. However, I do hunt with a hand gun, and in my case, shots of no more than 50yds., I can still get away with the glasses I wear. For rifles I have gone to scopes, and Red Dot type sights.
    Y'all be safe now, ya hear!

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
    Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Night sights should help. You might also want to look at a new prescription on your glasses. You didn't say if your glasses were single focus or bi focal lenses. If single focal, you might be able to resolve the problem with bi focal lenses. I know it will vary with individuals, but transitional lenses didn't work for me, lined bi focal lenses work the best in my case.

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    I've got to wear my glasses as well to get the front sight into focus. I looked at 2 different S&W's recently that have a HiViz front sight. WOW....I was surprised. I feel confident that I could shoot pretty accurately with either of those Smiths without glasses. I do practice some without my glasses at SD distances. But that HiViz option was very nice. Nothing that I currently have (fiber in orange, Trijicon night, etc) offers anything as clear as this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links