Shot by a COP

Shot by a COP

This is a discussion on Shot by a COP within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I should be getting my CCW here in the next week or 2, and I feel very confident in my ability to safely carry my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shot by a COP

Question Shot by a COP

I should be getting my CCW here in the next week or 2, and I feel very confident in my ability to safely carry my G19. However, there is just one thing that scares me just a bit. Honestly, I don't know where I come up with these scenerios.

Say you have some sort of encounter with a LEO, traffic stop maybe. You do everything right. Hands on the wheel, notify him/her you are carrying, etc.

The LEO asks you to get out of your car and for "safety reasons" takes you to the front of their cruiser (hands first, of course) and proceeds to disarm you.

BANG! The LEO causes an AD/ND.

My question is this... Has anyone ever seen/heard any reports of this happening? Any idea how often something like this happens?
    Not my real name

In some cases the LEO has the right to disarm you. If he causes the AD, then it's his fault! Going to the gun shows here in our area, I have noticed that the LEO working the front table has some real problems with making safe some of the guns that come in. I'm sure it would be the same out in the field. Unless that particular LEO is a gun nut like some of us, then he might not know much about guns in general.
    Y'all be safe now, ya hear!

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
    Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Some scenarios are so unlikely they are not worth worrying about. Could it happen? Yes. Will it happen? Not in a million years. Don't sweat the small stuff! I've been pulled over twice while armed. Both times after I informed him the officer proceeded as normal without trying to disarm me. Trust me it's no big deal. :)
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

VIP Member
    There was a video of a female officer having a ND during a arrest, and of course the transit cop who killed the guy in CA a few months ago during an arrest, there have been several officers having ND while training. The thing you have to remember is, they are people just like you and I. They are going to screw up. The badge does not make them all knowing. If an officer decides to disarm you and make your weapon safe, watch him. Politely correct him if you see him doing something unsafe.
    Last edited by archer51; March 17th, 2009 at 12:02 PM. Reason: corrected grammer

Well a few things to think about while pondering this. Lets say this happens on one percent of traffic stops. How often do you get pulled over? I think I get pulled over on average once every five years or so. So that would mean I can expect to get disarmed and have the officer ND my weapon about once every five hundred years.
    I am not losing sleep over it.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Agreed MCP and others, the scenario as posited is by mathematical odds alone are pretty much a long shot. :p

But anything can and does happen...

LEO almost shoots arrestee by way of ND

LEO tasers himself by way of ND

Infamous ATF agent without a whole lot of time and who is the only one in the room professional enough to carry a gun NDs himself with a Glock .40, the same one that Fifty Cent and Too $hort talk about

Very rare incidents though as measured against time and the totality of non-incident exercises.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Relatively sure...it isn't going to happen.
    Drive the speed limit...
    Don't do stupid things...
    Don't hang around with stupid people...

If stopped, follow the officer's directions. If you feel unsafe, ask that a supervisor be called.

Stay armed...use common sense...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Moderator
    I think your worry is much ado about nothing...

Can it happen, yes but I probably have better chances of winning the lottery
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Can it happen, yes but I probably have better chances of winning the lottery
    That's a great point. When I see my wife I'm going to instruct her to purchase lottery tickets immediately upon hearing that I've been shot accidentally by a police officer. She'll want to buy two if it's with my own gun.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    That's a great point. When I see my wife I'm going to instruct her to purchase lottery tickets immediately upon hearing that I've been shot accidentally by a police officer. She'll want to buy two if it's with my own gun.

If she wins you have to give me 10% for the inspiration
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Operate within the law and be polite and courteous to any police officer.

I think the risk of getting shot for not following the officer's instructions is much higher then the risk of an accidental discharge.

My training was that when in a traffic stop hand the carry permit and drivers license to the officer together. If I were pulled over I'd hand the ID's and tell the officer I was armed.

I've heard from friends that they know of officers asking to see the weapon and others not asking to see it. If I'm not breaking the law I have no issue with providing discovery of my weapon. I employ a CYA tactic by having a video camera in my car at all times, if I'm pulled over I have it on laying in the seat so that it captures audio, it has XLR hook ups and the mic is very sensitive. With the engine off it would easily capture audio from outside the car. My cam has no indicator lights so there's no signal that it's on or off. If I was asked if it were on I'd be truthful and I think that's the bottom line. The LEO doesn't know you from Adam and I think being up front at all times is the best route.

As long as one party is aware of the recording [me] it's legal. I don't keep the camera in the car for that purpose but will use it as a recording device if I see fit to do so. There may be special eavesdropping provisions for LEO, if so I'll cross that bridge if I ever need to then.

The key to me is to be respectful and upfront about your carry weapon, 9 times out of 10 you'll have no problems at all if you are abiding the law.

Best of luck on your permit class, I used my G19 for class and got one of the two 100% scores out of 12 students. The last two shots were "luck", we had to bring our weapon up from our waist in a two handed grip and fire when it got to shoulder level twice into the head of our target from five yards. If we hesitated to aim we were counted off, both my shots went in. If you trained on the shot it may be a skill shot but otherwise you just squeezed at the right moment.
    Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. TR

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Don't hang around with stupid people...
    That would leave out most of my family!

Thanks to all for some good input!
    Not my real name

That would suck be safe h/d

When I first started carrying a H&K P7,I got pulled over for not signaling a lane change...on an empty state road at 10 pm..I presented my ID and CCW permit, informed the officer that I was carrying..the officer had to ask me how to clear the weapon and lock the slide to the rear....said he'd never seen or even heard of a P7 and also asked if was something new and just out......got a funny look when I stated they had been around since the early 80's....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links