Traveling to Louisiana

This is a discussion on Traveling to Louisiana within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm headed to Louisiana this weekend for work and am wondering the laws down there. I'm from TN, and we do have reciprocity. That's the ...

Thread: Traveling to Louisiana

Traveling to Louisiana

I'm headed to Louisiana this weekend for work and am wondering the laws down there. I'm from TN, and we do have reciprocity. That's the extent of the knowledge I have about their laws.

Main concerns:

1. In TN, open carry is legal. Is this the case in LA?
    2. Restaraunt carry?
    3. Church Carry?
    4. Vehicle Carry?
    5. Anything else you would think I need to know.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Handgunlaw.us

Get to know this site inside and out. All the answers to all your questions are there.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

VIP Member
    I hope this helps:

LSP - Sections - Concealed Handgun Permit Unit

Prohibited Locations
    R.S. 40:1379.3 (N) states that no concealed handgun may be carried into and no concealed handgun permit issued pursuant to this Section shall authorize or entitle a permittee to carry a concealed handgun in any of the following:
    A law enforcement office, station, or building;
    A detention facility, prison, or jail;
    A courthouse or courtroom, provided that a judge may carry such a weapon in his own courtroom;
    A polling place;
    A meeting place of the governing authority of a political subdivision;
    The state capitol building;
    Any portion of an airport facility where the carrying of firearms is prohibited under federal law, except that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, if the firearm is encased for shipment, for the purpose of checking such firearm as lawful baggage;
    Any church, synagogue, mosque or similar place of worship;
    A parade or demonstration for which a permit is issued by a governmental entity;
    Any portion of the permitted area of an establishment that has been granted a Class A-General retail permit, as defined in Part II of Chapter 1 or Part II of Chapter 2 of Title 26 of the Louisiana Revised Statutes of 1950, to sell alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises.
    Any school "firearm free zone" as defined in R.S. 14:95.6.
    The provisions of R.S. 40:1379.3 (N) shall not limit the right of a property owner, lessee, or other lawful custodian to prohibit or restrict access of those persons possessing a concealed handgun pursuant to a permit issued under this Section. No individual to whom a concealed handgun permit is issued may carry such concealed handgun into the private residence of another without first receiving the consent of that person.

Duties of Permittees
    The permit shall be retained by the permittee who shall immediately produce it upon the request of any law enforcement officer. Anyone who fails to do so shall be fined not more than one hundred dollars. Additionally, when any peace officer approaches a permittee in an official manner or with an identified purpose, the permittee shall:
    Notify the officer that he has a weapon on his person;
    Submit to a pat down;
    Allow the officer to temporarily disarm him.
    A permittee may not carry and conceal a handgun while under the influence of alcohol or a controlled dangerous substance (CDS) as defined in R.S. 40:961 and 964. For purposes of the concealed handgun law, a permittee is considered under the influence of alcohol when a blood alcohol reading of .05% or greater by weight of alcohol in the blood is obtained, or a blood or urine test shows any confirmed presence of a CDS.

The permit to carry a concealed handgun shall be revoked by the deputy secretary when the permittee is carrying and concealing a handgun under any of the following circumstances:
    The blood alcohol reading of the permittee is .05% or greater by weight of alcohol in the blood;
    The permittee's blood test or urine test shows the confirmed presence of a CDS as defined in R.S. 40:961 and 964;
    The permittee refuses to submit to a department certified chemical test when requested to do so by a law enforcement officer.
    R.S. 40:1379.3(L) provides that anyone who carries and conceals a handgun in violation of any provision of this Section, unless authorized to do so by another provision of the law, shall be fined not more than five hundred dollars, or imprisoned for not more than six months, or both.

R.S. 40:1379.3(C)(1) requires the making of a sworn application to the deputy secretary of public safety services of the Department of Public Safety and Corrections. The providing of false or misleading information on the application or any documents submitted with the application shall be grounds for the denial or revocation of a concealed handgun permit. The application shall reflect training in pistols, revolvers, or both. Any permittee under this Section shall notify the department of any address or name change within thirty days of the change. Failure to timely notify the department of a name or address change may result in suspension of the permit for up to thirty days.

R.S. 40:1379.3(R)(1) requires each permittee, within fifteen days of a misdemeanor or a felony arrest, other than a minor traffic violation, in this state or any other state, to notify the deputy secretary of public safety services by certified mail. The deputy secretary may suspend, for up to ninety days, the permit of any permittee who fails to meet the notification requirements of this Section.

R.S. 40:1379.3(F)(1) mandates that the deputy secretary shall revoke the permit if at any time during the permit period the permittee fails to satisfy any one of the qualification requirements provided for in Subsection C of R.S. 40:1379.3.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    PPKheat, What is the interpretation of carrying in a restaurant that serves alcohol? I will be going back this summer for a visit and plan on bringing my gun.
    Thanks!

OPen carry is legal, Restaurant carry is legal. Church carry is not. Vehicle carry is legal and you dont even need a permit for that. Carrying in a bar is not legal.
    You do have to declare to law enforcement if approached on official business. You are also required to bring extra ammo and go shooting with us if given the chance. Enjoy yourself and stay safe.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
    PPKheat, What is the interpretation of carrying in a restaurant that serves alcohol? I will be going back this summer for a visit and plan on bringing my gun.
    Thanks!
    As I understand it you can go in a restaurant that serves alcohol while CCW, but you can't go in the restaurant's bar area while CCW.

A few years ago Louisiana passed a law against smoking in restaurants, but it's okay to smoke in a bar, even a bar that serves food, as long as the bar food is less than 50% of the sales. I mention all of that because someone told me a rule of thumb about "bars and restaurants", and that is if patrons are smoking tobacco in a certain area you shouldn't be there with a CCW. FWIW IANAL and that was a rule of thumb.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Charliee View Post
    OPen carry is legal, .

True enough, however be very careful or you may get a bit of police attention, it just depends on where you are. In New Orleans you'll likely get a LOT of police attention. FWIW I typically don't see anyone OC here, though I know it's done sometimes.

Links