Bad Mood

This is a discussion on Bad Mood within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm a little hesitant in posting this, but I just want to ask members if there were times when mentally you didn't feel up to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad Mood

I'm a little hesitant in posting this, but I just want to ask members if there were times when mentally you didn't feel up to snuff enough to carry.

Yesterday, I screwed up really bad at work, my fault, and there's things to do to straighten things out. No need for details.

Anyway, I've been spending a lot of time beating myself up, being preoccupied, "wish I did this or that instead". It'll pass, but I'm so "off" I said to myself, "The irons are staying in the safe for a little while", and that's where they are. I just don't like to carry when I'm so doggone edgy. Any body else ever make this decision?

By the way, carrying has absolutely nothing to do with my job, and the company has a 'no firearms' policy anyway.

2. Remove Ads

I can't recall that I've ever felt that way but I can imagine it. If you feel like carrying is a bad decision at the moment by all means don't.

While i haven't been in that particular position, i completely understand your point. If you don't feel comfortable carrying while in this "mood", the rest of us would feel even more uncomfortable if you did. Best to leave 'em home until it passes.

Been there, done that. IMO that is no reason to stop carrying, in fact I would venture to say that your demeanor can be "read" by others which would possibly make you a mark since it may be obvious you are preoccupied.

Hang in there bud.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

I'm sure you're making the right decision for yourself but if you get so "edgy" feeling that you don't trust yourself, perhaps you need to see a professional to help you deal with those kinds of feelings.

I do get angry from time to time, but at my age...in the sixth decade...I don't over react to much and take everything in stride.
    Perhaps in my much younger days, CCW may or may not have been a good idea, but I didn't carry then anyway.

There is power in calm...

Stay armed...stay calm...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    Everybody has good moods and bad moods and everybody gets angry sometimes but, there are certain lines that can never be crossed due to anger or emotion.

I have been angry and mad at my Wife on past occasions but, I never considered lashing out and physically striking her. That is an ingrained internal taboo.

Folks need to decide if they are in control of their anger emotion...or not in control of that emotion and if not then they need to get deep into thought and into their respective heads and work it out.

It never makes sense to allow a few seconds of uncontrolled anger drop an atomic bomb on the entire remainder of your life.

Many years in prison is a long time to have nothing to do but feel sorry for yourself for letting your uncontrolled rage and anger have a short free ride.

Yes , I have stepped away from guns for a short time
    in my life.

The old saying goes, Your first instinct is usually the right one.
    Many times when I look back on my life I find that to be too true.
    Just my .02
    Hang in there friend, after all it is Friday
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Life is full of ups and downs, and it’s good that you “manned up” and recognized you needed to lock your sidearm’s up for a while.

While I am sure most on DC are going to say no it never happen to them, I’ll tell you that if you carry long enough there is going to be that day, when you will feel the same way. Not suicidal mind you but depressed, and not in a good frame of mind.

I think it is very responsible of you as a fellow gun owner and carry advocate to make that decision. Have a good weekend, and go back and kick some you-know-what on monday. Everyone makes mistakes. Good luck, and hang in there.
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

I'm glad you know yourself well enough that you thought it best not to carry in your state of mind. But IMO if you are concerned enough that you couldn't control yourself then maybe some counseling is in order. I can't speak for you but if I was so angry that I would cross that "line" without thinking about it then I myself would seek some help.
    And as stated before with your current mood and such you probably do look like more of a target and I'm sure your SA isn't what it should be. So please be safe anyway you can!
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    Good solid decision, at lest you are self aware enough to realize that it a bad idea at certain times. Good Luck and hang in there.
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

Smart man!!! Better safe than sorry. That’s what a responsible gun owner / CCW person should do. Why to keep yourself in check. If more people would do that gun owners as a group would look better. Perfect Friday to have a beer (since you’re not carrying ) with friends after work and just laugh it off. Hang in there bro.
    CCW: Never get killed for lack of shooting back!

Been There

I've been there myself. Things will get better. I understand exactly how you feel, but things will get better. I'll be praying for you. God bless.
    ‘‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’
    — James Earl Jones

I once found some people in a parking lot in My son's stolen car. I locked my gun up called the police and went to talk to them. I wanted to kick their ___. And, did not want any guns involved if there was fight. I knew these guys didn't have guns, because any gun they got their hands on would've been immediatly have been traded for drugs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links