Question for LEO's about CCW Permit

This is a discussion on Question for LEO's about CCW Permit within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First off, I am a dispatcher for the local Police Department. I have read a few stories on here from LEO's talking about when you ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question for LEO's about CCW Permit

Question for LEO's about CCW Permit

First off, I am a dispatcher for the local Police Department. I have read a few stories on here from LEO's talking about when you pull someone over, dispatch tells you that the registered vehicle owner has a CCW.

Was just wondering how that works? In our department, me as the dispatcher, I handle giving out the calls and processing traffic/subject stops for the officer, but I dont run the tags or social sec numbers. We dont even have access to do that. The officer has to switch to another channel to get a records clerk to do that, and by that point they have already approached the vehicle and went back to their car. Heck as much radio traffic as I deal with on a nightly basis, I couldnt imagine having to do that. But based on some of the stories I have read, I take it that some of yall get this info before you approach the car? If so, how? Because that is awesome in the aspect of officer safety.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Well Budrbean in Alabama your pistol permit is not tied to you DL or tag like it is in some states.

I think the record is kept at the issueing sheriffs office and the State's Archieves
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

VIP Member
    In Utah the CFP is tied to your DL, but not your vehicle's tags. In Utah, a LEO doesn't know 'til you inform him/her. I believe that's why we have a "duty to inform". That lets the LEO know as soon as possible during the stop.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Well the second radio freq. explains why the State Trooper came back to my car angry that I'd not informed him I had a CPL (he mistakenly thought I was required to inform him of the license even if not carrying, which was incorrect as he later conceded- this a VERY rare time that I wasn't carrying).

But based on some of the stories I have read, I take it that some of yall get this info before you approach the car? If so, how? Because that is awesome in the aspect of officer safety.
    May I ask how this is awesome for the officer's safety? (I wrote a rebuttal, then realized you may have meant in a positive way, so now am asking clarification).
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

VIP Member
    I'm not LEO, but from what I have been told by LEO's here in Virginia, it is tied to your tags. When they run them it will kick out that the person the vehicle is registered to has a permit. I have been stopped twice in the 10 years I've lived here and both times the first thing the officer asked was if I were carrying.

Quote Originally Posted by Budrbean View Post
    But based on some of the stories I have read, I take it that some of yall get this info before you approach the car? If so, how? Because that is awesome in the aspect of officer safety.
    As a retired LEO, I agree with T-bone. Why is it awesome? Why is it even relevant. It doesn't matter if it is a legal gun owner (LEO or civilian) is having a bad day (wanting to shoot somebody) or a BG having a good day. As an officer you should not trust ANYBODY, you should assume EVERYONE is carrying a weapon of some sort, and could be planning on hurting you.

I don't understand why this requirement is even in place for some states, other than to track the CCW and revoke his/her rights if they do something wrong.

As a dispatcher and a responder myself I don't see how knowing you are dealing with a legally armed civilian would improve officer safety. But that is another story.

However here in Kentucky your CDW permit isn't tied to your drivers license but when I run the tag of a KY car the state system automatically pulls your info and runs a check for warrants and CDW. The system we use to log calls and traffic stops also will pull the tag number entered by the dispatcher and run it via NCIC and all the other checks.

But if you are from out of state those checks have to be run manually usually after the officer gets the license number or name and date of birth.
    The key to the whole thing is as a dispatcher you need to have access to NCIC or NLETS otherwise you are working blind with one hand tied behind your back.
    What part of "shall not be infringed" do you not understand.
    Kimber CDP fullsize Kimber CDP Ultra
    Colt Combat Commander Colt Goverment 1991
    Springfield Armory 1911-a1 Sig Sauer GSR 1911

I'm a 1911 guy.

Here in Colorado it is tied to your DL, but ONLY if the Sherriff enters the information into the database. Not all counties enter it in.

So, unless you inform the LEO when they approach you (not mandatory here) they may or may not find out about it when they run you DL, but not when they run your tags.

Administrator
    I depends on the system used, it will differ from location to location. Some will get instant computer response, and others still use the old fashioned system like you have described.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Archer51 ...you are correct.

I took a civilian law enforcement course here in my home town, and they showed us the dispatch area. When the officer calls in a tag, the dispatcher inputs it to the computer and a second later a screen with all the owner of that vehicle's vitals show up. Address, SSN, violation record, outstanding warrents, AND if he/she has a carry permit. As I recall, this last item was highlighted in a red box adjacent to the other info. It catches the dispatchers eye, alright.
    Of course, if I am driving my wife's car, it doesn't show up, as she does not hold a permit.

mkh
    Quote Originally Posted by Zsnake View Post
    Of course, if I am driving my wife's car, it doesn't show up, as she does not hold a permit.
    That's why every traffic stop should be handled as if the driver is armed.

I'm not talking about snatching the driver out and frisking him or anything like that. I just mean that the LEO should have a heightened sense of awareness.

In VA and MA your handgun permit is tied to your motor vehicle operators license information as databased and available to police within their car.
    As well in both states your non-commercial vehicular registration is tied to your motor vehicle operators license as well, to which ones license plate is an adjunct of along with your state inspection sticker identifier (windshield mounted).

So when a LEO in these states, and the very many other states like them with similar and same in car setups, pulls you over and again you are in a non-commercial registered vehicle if they choose to look you up at that time prior to contact then yes they will know you have a gun permit. But in states like M and VA that means nothing as a permit is involved to simply purchase a firearm (in VA to avoid mandatory minimums). Having such a permit does not necessarily indicate you may be carrying or are even allowed to do so per the way things go in MA.
    Further as Archer mentioned above the officer in localities without such in car setups can call in to secure exact same reporting by way of third person police support personnel.
    None of this shows up on a normal dispatch operators screen asit'snot relevant to them doing their own specific job.

I know this as fact per the Citizens Police Academy course I am participating in currently (week 6 of 14) as instructed by local to me city police to which we covered amongst other related items how the officers in car database vehicle operator look up functions in general. We have first hand visited with and watchhed dispatch as well as 911/Fire servicing (in this city all functions are handled by the same singular group including the dispatch of police) and again this type of information is not shown on their screens nor do they have access to the specific DMV related database to allow as much.

- Janq's personal use vehicles are registered to a corporation rather than individual persons
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

theres no database in GA, only way for a LEO to find out if a permit is valid is to call the Probate that issued the license during normal hours
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    I

I know this as fact per the Citizens Police Academy course I am participating in currently...
    What is this Citizens Police Academy thing? Sounds interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by MP45Man View Post
    What is this Citizens Police Academy thing? Sounds interesting.
    It very much is so as based on the experience...

http://www.nationalcpaa.org

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links