Business trip- what gun to take?

This is a discussion on Business trip- what gun to take? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have to go to Michigan to meet with one of my clients in a few days... I've been reading threads about flying with firearms, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Business trip- what gun to take?

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar

Business trip- what gun to take?

I have to go to Michigan to meet with one of my clients in a few days... I've been reading threads about flying with firearms, I've printed out the airline's guidelines for packing it, etc... now I am wondering what to take.

I'll be picked up at the Detroit airport, and then I will spend 4-5 days in a pretty rural part of Michigan... I expect this will be an uneventful trip.

I have 2 pistols... a Sig P220 and a Taurus PT745. The Sig is definitely my favorite. I am much more accurate with it, and for that reason alone, I "trust" it more.

The Taurus is smaller and cheaper, and should it get lost or stolen in transit, I won't be as upset...

What would you take...? Take the gun you like more, or the one you would be less upset to lose...?
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

2. Remove Ads

You're coming here to Detroit?

Bring all you can!

Seriously, if you are more comfortable and accurate with the Sig, why would you leave it home?

Take the tool that works the best.
    "Don't be afraid to see what you see.
    -Ronald Reagan-

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PointnClick View Post
    I have 2 pistols... a Sig P220 and a Taurus PT745. The Sig is definitely my favorite. I am much more accurate with it, and for that reason alone, I "trust" it more.
    You shoot the Sig better and trust it more, that is what you should take.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I agree.

With that said, I often take a Glock because I wouldn't miss it if it was lost or stolen instead of one of my finer guns. I'd rather carry my GP100 that's been "worked on" or one of my Hi-Powers or 1911's, but they would cost a lot more to replace, if I could replace them.

To me a Glock is a "disposable" gun, easily replaced. Sorry Glock fans, but that's how I feel.

Biker

I kinda feel the same way about my Taurus, Biker... hence my question... should the Taurus get lost or stolen, I can get another at wholesale cost (I got a connection on that).

Not that the Sig is "irreplaceable", but I do love it... it's a 1990 vintage, with West Germany stamped on the slide... it has "character"... I just think it is cool to have a gun from a country that doesn't exist anymore, and were it to be lost, it would hurt...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

I'd take the Sig.

I take less expensive camera lenses for the reasons you stated: I wouldn't feel bad if they got destroyed or lost. But I don't use my camera lenses to protect my life.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

VIP Member
    If you are concerned about loss, and you are competent with the Taurus, bring the Taurus. Remember, it's a tool. Don't get hung up on which one you "like".

If you are concerned about your ability to defend yourself with it, put in some range time before you travel.

That's just the way I look at things. You make your own decision.

P.S. Whichever one you bring, make sure you bring ammo - there AIN'T any here. I've checked! LOL
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Administrator
    So you have you Sig for collector value?

I hope not.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Take whatever gun you normally carry.

I've flown many times with a gun(s) both handgun(s) and rifle(s).

Make sure you use a LOCKABLE hard plastic case of the appropriate size for your weapon. Use a good combonation lock so you won't lose a key. Remove all ammo from the weapon. Transport your ammo in a factory ammo box (the one it came from in the store, or another calibers will work if the rounds fit properly). You do not have to remove ammo from magazines, but I do it anyway. You can place the locked case inside your check-in luggage, so pack accordingly.

When you approach the counter, first tell the ticket agent you are checking in a firearm, BEFORE placing it in front of him/her. Present the un-locked case on the counter and open it for inspection. They will ask if it is unloaded, and then will place a red/white card inside and then tell you to lock it.

When you go to the check-in baggage screening/x-ray area inform the TSA official that you have a checked firearm in that specific bag. WAIT there until it passes through to make sure there are no further questions/problems. Board your plane.

Upon arrival at the destination airport make sure to get to the luggage carousel ASAP, as that is the place most bags are stolen from. Luggage handlers may steal things from bags, but I don't think any of them are stupid enough to try to steal, and smuggle out of an airport, a handgun/rifle.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    100% agree!!

If it does go bye-bye, it can be replaced. Your life can't!
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Pack the SIG!
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

No, not for "collector value"... it's a silly emotional attachment to an old gun, and my first gun...

I used to play guitar when I was a teenager... I had several back then. The plan was to be a rock star... I only lacked one thing: talent.

So I gave it up and sold my guitars... Imagine my disappointment when I realized talent is optional...

Even so, I have an emotional attachment to my first guitar, and still have it... a 1957 Fender Stratocaster, with the original cord, case, a 5 digit serial number, and the original sales receipt... THAT'S a collector's item.

That might not mean anything to you if you don't play, but I guarantee that any guitar players we might have here just got wood...

Which do you trust to defend your life? I'd take the Sig.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Bring the Sig. And while you're at it, bring LOTS of money to spend! (Our economy sucks!).

That '57 Strat has got to be sweet, yeah I'm sure you know it's worth.... many of these guys don't. FWIW, if original it could well be upwards of thirty grand (and worth every penny!). Had a '62 I sold (too cheap) when I went broke some time back (along with most others in a large collection)....
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

I normally carry a custom 1911. I never fly with it because I don't want it stollen. Baggage theft happens a lot. I bring one of my cheaper, but still perfectly reliable guns.

In the past I've flown with a S&W99c 9mm and a S&W442 snubbie. Usually the snubbie gets the nod.

If you love the Sig, I'd leave it at home.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links