Illegal 30.06 Sign in Texas??

This is a discussion on Illegal 30.06 Sign in Texas?? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Kerbouchard Me thinks you might have gotten a little bit ahead of yourself. Maybe.....like I said. I'm willing to be corrected/proven wrong....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Illegal 30.06 Sign in Texas??

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post

Me thinks you might have gotten a little bit ahead of yourself.

Maybe.....like I said. I'm willing to be corrected/proven wrong.

2. Remove Ads

Just spoke with Steve at DPS. He was checking on a few items he was unsure of and put me on hold and we got disconnected instead. I called back and left a voicemail. We'll see if they get back to me.

What he was sure of:
    DPS does not sell 30.06 signs. You have to go to Kenkos or a sign making company.
    Plus what we all already know about 1" block lettering and the verbage.

What he thought, but was not sure of and was checking on:
    Must be on an actual sign
    English and Spanish must be on same sign

I'll update if/when I get a call back, but then again, if he had trouble with the hold button, who knows how accurate his info is.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Well thanks for the fact finding......I guess we all can't get strait answers or correct signage...what does that tell ya. Use your best judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike32 View Post
    When I see those signs I make it a point to let the owner/manager know they have lost a customer...and why.

+1...
    If they don't want my business I'd surely go somewhere else, legal sign or not.
    That said "Concealed is Concealed"...
    USMC 1984-1992
    To err is human.
    To forgive is divine.
    Neither of which is Marine Corps policy.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

Hopefully, the Gov will get his way and remove all the legality from all the signs in the first place.

My personal stance on it is, if it has the words in English and Spanish plainly visible, I don't go in.

Gunbuster or other 'no weapons allowed' signs, I consider suggestions, and treat them accordingly.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

VIP Member

Don't favor making the signs illegal

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    Hopefully, the Gov will get his way and remove all the legality from all the signs in the first place.

My personal stance on it is, if it has the words in English and Spanish plainly visible, I don't go in.

Gunbuster or other 'no weapons allowed' signs, I consider suggestions, and treat them accordingly.
    I don't favor abolishing the 30.06 sign. I like the concept of a consistent legally prescribed sign. The language in the code just needs to be cleared up a bit, and also the DPS needs to produce a prototype sign that everyone can use.

Right now, as we see from this discussion, things are quite far from clear as to what is and is not a valid sign. If DPS put out an example, or sold them with some DPS seal that would make it clear it was the statutory sign, that would clear up lots of confusion.

If the 30.06 sign is abolished we will start seeing all manner of ghost buster and related nonsense appearing on store fronts. It won't go to more stores allowing cc; it will go to proprietors writing something in yellow crayon or magic marker like, "no guns allowed."

I don't want that. I want a consistent design to the notification so it is either clearly valid or clearly invalid. * And, I do think the owner deserves the right to say no, and I deserve the right to decide to go elsewhere.
    __________________________________________________ _

* I would choose to respect an invalid sign, but that is just my personal sense of how to show respect for the owner as I take my money elsewhere.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Frogbones View Post
    Ordered from the DPS as most do, to avoid invalid signage.
    is this info from your area of the state? I've never seen signs like that anywhere I've been in Texas

Plus it HAS to be a sign with borders and such....not lettering on transparent glass.
    ummm, nowhere in the law does it say anything about borders and such, just contrasting backgrounds, I agree that the letters on glass probably isn't the most distinctive but AFAIK there hasn't been any clarification from DPS or any court cases on someone "challenging" letters directly on clear glass; I'd say that if the letters are clearly legible then the argument may go in favor of the business owner

if a sign [isn't legal] I'm not legally bound to it...they can kiss it.
    agreed
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

64Zebra,
    Just playing devil's advocate here..... If you just use lettering on the glass without the contrasting background, how do you know it is contrasting? If you have white letters and someone is walking towards the door with a white shirt on, your letters may vanish. Same with black letters and a black shirt.

I don't think they should be putting signs on the glass anyway. Depending on the angle of the sun I might not even see their sign until it is back lit and I am on my way out!
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

VIP Member
    mcp, I agree, there could be some circumstances where the glass has reflections, etc and could be some problems
    this is something that needs to be clarified in the code

both hospitals here have 30.06 posted, both did have some doors posted with letters on glass, correct size and all, but they've both made signs w/black background & white letters now, is a lot more visible
    one particular gov't bldg here has some letters on the windows at each public entrance saying: Pursuant to Penal code 30.06..........Notice of Gov't meeting
    the letters on glass are very easy to read, but 1) its a city bldg so 30.06 isn't applicable, 2)it doesn't meet the 30.06 requirement, and 3)its an off-limits place to begin with so no sign is necessary
    there are a lot of problems with what is/isn't valid signage and gov't entities (courts, LE agencies, city/county places) don't know the laws about what is valid/invalid or where CHLs can/can't carry
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

--G.W. McClintock

Hmmm, well, sorry to cause such an argument here.

I was just curious. I'll get a better picture when my wife gets back from Houston with BOTH our cameras...why does she have both, who knows. I may take a closer picture with my phone next time I go to bass pro since its right nearby. Oddly enough, I went to Bass Pro today to see if I could find some .380 ammo since I picked up a Ruger LCP from Cabela's today. Of course they didn't have anything but .22, but thats besides the point.

When I drove by Jareds, it had the sign like the one in the photo, but on top of the white lettering was a huge "51" (without the %) in red. Haha, now, maybe I'm confused, but I've never seen alcohol being served there, and I'm fairly sure they make more than half their money on jewelry....haha. Anyway, it looks like they're just trying to hit all the bases to keep people to carry inside even though they have it all wrong. I'm pretty sure though that the text does include the "Pursuant to penal code 30.06....blah blah" on it.

I throw in a pic of the LCP for grins.

VIP Member
    Is Jareds a jewelry store?

Wow, a 51 sign on the place is weird. I wonder what TABC would say about a 51 sign on a place where it doesn't belong.

Maybe that is why they left the % off- so TABC won't get involved. I think it is illegal (or against TABC rules, policy, whatever) to have a 51 sign that isn't legit.

Yep, strictly jewelry/watches. Although, when I purchased my wife's wedding/engagement ring they offered me something to drink and I wanna say they might've had wine or champagne.....but, I'm fairly sure you have to make more than half of your profits from alcohol to flash the 51% sign...hence the 51%.

Yeah, the photo I posted was from the location in Humble, TX (Houston), and the 51 I saw today is in San Antonio. You would think that with it being a "corporate policy", all of the signs would be the same.....mind boggling isn't it
    Yep, I'm a Male Nurse.....Focker

Kimber Ultra CDP II
    Beretta PX4 9mm
    Ruger LCP
    FN Herstal PBR .308

Now I am confused or I missed a post. I thought this was all about the 30.06 not the 51%?? You saw a 30.06 sign on one Jared's and a 51% on another Jared's? Wow. I won't be shopping for jewelry at Jared's anymore.

Yep! Jared's in NE Houston (humble) has the 30.06 sign and the one here in san antonio at The Rim, has the same sign with a big red 51 above it. From what I understand, all Jared Jewelry stores have the signs.
    Yep, I'm a Male Nurse.....Focker

Kimber Ultra CDP II
    Beretta PX4 9mm
    Ruger LCP
    FN Herstal PBR .308

VIP Member
    (parody of TV commercials)

Jill: oh look, there's Tom
    Sarah: oh yeah, whats that on his chest
    Jill: OH MY GOSH, its a gunshot wound!
    Cindy: yeah, he went to Jared's
    ALL: Awwwwww, he went to Jared's!
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

--G.W. McClintock

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links