Illegal 30.06 Sign in Texas?? - Page 4

Illegal 30.06 Sign in Texas??

This is a discussion on Illegal 30.06 Sign in Texas?? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by 64zebra mcp, I agree, there could be some circumstances where the glass has reflections, etc and could be some problems this is ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Illegal 30.06 Sign in Texas??

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    mcp, I agree, there could be some circumstances where the glass has reflections, etc and could be some problems
    this is something that needs to be clarified in the code

both hospitals here have 30.06 posted, both did have some doors posted with letters on glass, correct size and all, but they've both made signs w/black background & white letters now, is a lot more visible
    one particular gov't bldg here has some letters on the windows at each public entrance saying: Pursuant to Penal code 30.06..........Notice of Gov't meeting
    the letters on glass are very easy to read, but 1) its a city bldg so 30.06 isn't applicable, 2)it doesn't meet the 30.06 requirement, and 3)its an off-limits place to begin with so no sign is necessary
    there are a lot of problems with what is/isn't valid signage and gov't entities (courts, LE agencies, city/county places) don't know the laws about what is valid/invalid or where CHLs can/can't carry
    It is really not that hard to understand, it is just that it has been revised 3 or 4 times in the last 14 years. A meeting of a government enity is a restricted place but a government building is not. Effective warning must be given (30.06) at the entrance of the government meeting. In the last legislative session they took control of the Lower Colorado River Authority out of the Parks and Wildlife code to allow CC on LCRA property. They also added that no subauthority could pass a code restricting CC licensed persons. The way DPS put it to me is "The Legislature is going to determine where CCL people can and cannot carry if a private individule is going to try to undermine that authority they are going to make it ruff on them" thus we have the 30.06 requirements. Four of the restricted places must give effective warning under 30.06; amusement parks, Hospitals and nursing homes, places of worship, and meetings of a government enity. It takes the DPS staff 40 hous to teach the instructors and then the instructors are expected to teach the same information to his class in ten hours. I taped the DPS presentations and condensed the information for my course to make it as complete as possible.
    NRA Life Member
    TSRA Life Member
    NAHC Life Member
    CHL Instructor
    TXCHIA Member
    BPOE Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCHI View Post
    It is really not that hard to understand, it is just that it has been revised 3 or 4 times in the last 14 years. A meeting of a government enity is a restricted place but a government building is not. Effective warning must be given (30.06) at the entrance of the government meeting. In the last legislative session they took control of the Lower Colorado River Authority out of the Parks and Wildlife code to allow CC on LCRA property. They also added that no subauthority could pass a code restricting CC licensed persons. The way DPS put it to me is "The Legislature is going to determine where CCL people can and cannot carry if a private individule is going to try to undermine that authority they are going to make it ruff on them" thus we have the 30.06 requirements. Four of the restricted places must give effective warning under 30.06; amusement parks, Hospitals and nursing homes, places of worship, and meetings of a government enity. It takes the DPS staff 40 hous to teach the instructors and then the instructors are expected to teach the same information to his class in ten hours. I taped the DPS presentations and condensed the information for my course to make it as complete as possible.
    I didn't say anything was hard to understand, I said that some things need to be clarified because they didn't address some things in the revisions....just what I was saying...some things need to be clarified...is letters on glass valid...this needs to be addressed since it is occurring all over the state...thats what I meant

I'm fully aware of what places are/are not off limits to CHLs

I'm aware that gov't bldgs are not necessarily off limits...however, this situation I was presenting in my post was a govt bldg that is utilized by a COURT,
    I'm aware of all the legislative changes and that a meeting of a govt entity requires 30.06 sign to prevent CHL carry
    my point was that this govt bldg was already an off limits place (municipal court and court offices in this bldg), didn't need 30.06 sign since it is already off limits place, the 30.06 sign attempt posted on the entrances (glass) is not anywhere near valid signage anyway, and that the letters on the glass are not the right height/not block letters,
    if places posting letters directly on glass would put up some background on the glass that is contrasting=problem solved,
    thats not required but maybe it should be
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    I didn't say anything was hard to understand, I said that some things need to be clarified because they didn't address some things in the revisions....just what I was saying...some things need to be clarified...is letters on glass valid...this needs to be addressed since it is occurring all over the state...thats what I meant

I'm fully aware of what places are/are not off limits to CHLs

I'm aware that gov't bldgs are not necessarily off limits...however, this situation I was presenting in my post was a govt bldg that is utilized by a COURT,
    I'm aware of all the legislative changes and that a meeting of a govt entity requires 30.06 sign to prevent CHL carry
    my point was that this govt bldg was already an off limits place (municipal court and court offices in this bldg), didn't need 30.06 sign since it is already off limits place, the 30.06 sign attempt posted on the entrances (glass) is not anywhere near valid signage anyway, and that the letters on the glass are not the right height/not block letters,
    if places posting letters directly on glass would put up some background on the glass that is contrasting=problem solved,
    thats not required but maybe it should be
    I did not mean to infer and individule did not understand the laws. What I was pointing out was just because government courts and their offices are located in the building the whole building may not be off limits and they needed the sign for the meeting of a government enity restriction. An Example; The Parker county building has courts in one end of building and license plates in the other. They have no signs just security desk at the center hall intersection. And I agree clear glass is not a background.
    NRA Life Member
    TSRA Life Member
    NAHC Life Member
    CHL Instructor
    TXCHIA Member
    BPOE Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCHI View Post
    I did not mean to infer and individule did not understand the laws. What I was pointing out was just because government courts and their offices are located in the building the whole building may not be off limits and they needed the sign for the meeting of a government enity restriction. An Example; The Parker county building has courts in one end of building and license plates in the other. They have no signs just security desk at the center hall intersection. And I agree clear glass is not a background.
    I'm not aware of any court cases regarding whats bolded above and (as other things) the law doesn't specify this, its says bldgs are off limits if its a court or has offices utilized by the court, the bldg I posted about has Municipal court on 1st floor on one side of the bldg with connecting hall/door to other part of bldg, front counter by entrance (not court entrance) is used to take payments for city jail bonds, make criminal reports, pay tickets, etc
    IMO this bldg would be off limits by either entrance according to the statute, I'm sure this isn't the only example of bldgs around the state that have "offices utilized by the court" subsection
    load of crap IMO, hopefully we can get some things changed for the better in this legislative session
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

VIP Member
    To my mind a sensible approach would be to: a) lift all statutory restriction unless a proper 30.06 sign is posted; b) design a standardized sign with some sort of appropriate seal to show it is valid.

Doing these two things would remove the complication and the confusion. There would either be a valid sign (notification) or there would not be.

Instead, as things stand, lots of times we have to remember and also guess.

Still, for the most part things work pretty well. Most people know where the off limits places are because it was covered in the chl course and most entities which wish to hang a valid sign have the ability to actually figure out how to do it.

I wish it were possible to extend the 30.06 sign requirement to other places which are Federal and off limits, but where the notice may not be as clear and obvious as 30.06.

Better yet, I wish Uncle would just drop the restrictions except in places where strong restrictions already exist--e.g., NYC; D.C. Let the rest of us do it our way.

In PC 46.035 f(3) it defines premises as a building or a portion of a building. Then in PC46.03a(3) it says government court or offices utilized by the court. IMO this indicates the portion of the building that is the court and offices utilized by the court is the restricted area.
    NRA Life Member
    TSRA Life Member
    NAHC Life Member
    CHL Instructor
    TXCHIA Member
    BPOE Member

I guess he won't be going to Jared's

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links