Illegal 30.06 Sign in Texas??

This is a discussion on Illegal 30.06 Sign in Texas?? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, not sure if this is the place to ask this, if not, feel free to move it. I am currently waiting on my ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Illegal 30.06 Sign in Texas??

Illegal 30.06 Sign in Texas??

Hey guys, not sure if this is the place to ask this, if not, feel free to move it.

I am currently waiting on my plastic and have been checking out the places I go regularly to see if they have 30.06 signs here in Texas. I found this...I'll attach an image. It is a jewelry store here in San Antonio, I believe all the stores have signs this way, Houston, etc. But they have the "Penal code 30.06, yadda yadda" on one side of the entrance in english, and on the other side in spanish, all in white, and they definitely did not look to be 1" tall characters. I just noticed it didn't look like THE sign I saw in my CHL class, wasn't sure if this sign counts as legal or not....sorry the picture is blurry, took it on my phone as I was pulling out of the parking lot.

Is this one to ignore? Or would I be in a whole heap of trouble if I carried inside there. I've spent quite a bit of money in these stores over the last few years of getting married.....but If I can't carry there I'm done with them.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    My understanding is that these are not legal signs. So what. You know that the owner doesn't want you in there armed; shop somewhere else.

Why risk getting into a big deal with owner, cops, DA, and having to litigate the issue and defend your actions? It isn't worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    My understanding is that these are not legal signs. So what. You know that the owner doesn't want you in there armed; shop somewhere else.

Why risk getting into a big deal with owner, cops, DA, and having to litigate the issue and defend your actions? It isn't worth it.
    I agree, I most of the time will simply go somewhere else unless this is the ONLY place that sells something I want.

You may get one of those no guns no cash cards and take one in, unarmed of course since it is known this place doesn't want us in there.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

If you are not willing to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

-Paco

Without being able to see the actual lettering and size, I don't know how anybody can tell you if they are legal or not. If the words are exactly per code and the letters are 1" in size, its legal.

It does appear to be block letters and it is on a contrasting background...My guess is it is completely legal. I guess next time you go by, you need to bring a ruler.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

After doing some more digging, I found this:
    Texas3006.com - Your 30.06 Information Resource - Home

There it is on the top in the Wall of Shame! Jared Jewelers. Guess my wife will be going by herself from now on to get our jewerly inspected twice a year (have warranty plans on all the stuff).

VIP Member

Spanish and English on same sign? No?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    Without being able to see the actual lettering and size, I don't know how anybody can tell you if they are legal or not. If the words are exactly per code and the letters are 1" in size, its legal.

It does appear to be block letters and it is on a contrasting background...My guess is it is completely legal. I guess next time you go by, you need to bring a ruler.
    I thought the English and Spanish had to be on the same sign, not two different signs, one on each side of the door. That is why I thought the sign was not a legal 30.06.

If I am wrong, my apologies and someone let me know.

I didn't think it had to be on the same sign, but I suppose it could be read that way...

Penal Code Section 30.06(c)(3)(B) further states that a sign must meet the following requirements:

includes the language described by Paragraph (A) in both English and Spanish;
    appears in contrasting colors with block letters at least one inch in height; and
    is displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public.
    The statute does say sign in a singular form, so I'm not sure. I wouldn't want to be the test case.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by MaleNursePX4 View Post
    Hey guys, not sure if this is the place to ask this, if not, feel free to move it.

I am currently waiting on my plastic and have been checking out the places I go regularly to see if they have 30.06 signs here in Texas. I found this...I'll attach an image. It is a jewelry store here in San Antonio, I believe all the stores have signs this way, Houston, etc. But they have the "Penal code 30.06, yadda yadda" on one side of the entrance in english, and on the other side in spanish, all in white, and they definitely did not look to be 1" tall characters. I just noticed it didn't look like THE sign I saw in my CHL class, wasn't sure if this sign counts as legal or not....sorry the picture is blurry, took it on my phone as I was pulling out of the parking lot.

Is this one to ignore? Or would I be in a whole heap of trouble if I carried inside there. I've spent quite a bit of money in these stores over the last few years of getting married.....but If I can't carry there I'm done with them.

malenursepx4 go to this web sight, it has a load of info about 3006 signs in texas -www.texas3006.com
    EDC's Colt Defender 45 acp and S&W 442 .38
    Springfield XD 45 acp
    Ruger SR9
    Ruger Super RedHawk .44 mag
    mossberg 590 12 gauge tactical
    bushmaster AR15-M4

When I see those signs I make it a point to let the owner/manager know they have lost a customer...and why.
    You'll rock, with a 357 Glock

Thumbs down

I'm waiting for plastic also. I wouldn't shop there if it have 30.06 signs. Not worth it. Maybe write letter to them to remove the sign.

Member Array Intentional Flincher's Avatar

Illegal?

As far as I'm concerned, they're ALL illegal.
    A witty saying proves nothing.

Voltaire

VIP Member
    if the signs have all the required wording but letters aren't 1 inch block then it doesn't meet all the requirements under law

but shop elsewhere, they obviously don't want legally armed people in there, I'd go in and let the manager know you're looking for xxxxx jewelry, let them know you see something in the display case you'd like to get, then tell them that since they don't let people exercise their right to self-defense you won't be coming in their store anymore and point to the signs on the door and walk out
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer
    not enough space for list, main gear: duty-G17, S&W 642 bug, 870, RRA AR-15; G30 off-duty
    Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MaleNursePX4 View Post
    After doing some more digging, I found this:
    Texas3006.com - Your 30.06 Information Resource - Home

There it is on the top in the Wall of Shame! Jared Jewelers. Guess my wife will be going by herself from now on to get our jewerly inspected twice a year (have warranty plans on all the stuff).
    Is it unsafe to go without a gun? If you think so why let your wife go and alone at that?

Regards,
    Jerry

The law says that if after you are given effective notice and "you fail to depart" then you are in violation of PC 30.06. They have 3 ways of giving you effective notice. They can give you personal oral or written notice. They can personally read you the wording, or give you personally a flyer or card with the correct wording on it, or they post a sign. The sign must be on contrasting background, 1" block letters and have the exact wording and be posted at all entrances. If you were properly consealed how would they know to give you personal oral or written notice? Is clear glass a contrasting background? I don't think so. I have seen white letters on clear glass in front of a white wall that was invisable from the outside on the building. I was already inside before I saw it. Mistakes in signage are defenses that could get you out of trouble if needed I don't tell them their sign isn't right. You still have to fail to depart to be violation of 30.06.
    NRA Life Member
    TSRA Life Member
    NAHC Life Member
    CHL Instructor
    TXCHIA Member
    BPOE Member

Thanks for the 3006 site, I had found that earlier and posted what I found.

No it is not "unsafe" for my wife to go in while I wait in the car for her. I will no longer spend money at Jared's, but do have to get our rings inspected twice a year to keep the service plan I have on them. If my wife's $6k center stone falls out of her ring, they replace it for free. But I won't spend any more money there.

And I gather that telling the peeon's that work there why I won't do business with them anymore wouldn't be all that effective. On another website I found someone who wrote a letter to their corporate lefties and pretty much got an email back saying "guns are bad mmmmkkay".

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links