CCP class expectations?

This is a discussion on CCP class expectations? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There is a gun & knife show on 4/4/09 at the Melbourne Auditorium in Brevard County Florida that offers the class, and I am looking ...

Thread: CCP class expectations?

CCP class expectations?

There is a gun & knife show on 4/4/09 at the Melbourne Auditorium in Brevard County Florida that offers the class, and I am looking forward to attending but have no idea how to prepare or what to expect. Should I bring my firearm, range bag, an already deveoped passport sized photo, or will all of that be provided for me. In a perfect world, the class should provide a student the ability complete all of the legal documents and have a completed application, including fingerprints and photos, ready to be dropped into the mail, all before leaving the facility. Is that expecting too much?

2. Remove Ads

You probably won't need to bring anything except yourself...drag along the wife (if you have one), and any interested friends.
    The class will provide everything you will need...and when you finish, you should have the packet to mail. You will still need to be fingerprinted, have the passport photo and probably find a notary (if my memory serves me correctly)...this can all be done after you finish the class.

Good luck...not a big deal if you have a clean background.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Perfect. I think I am going to like this forum. Thanks.

Senior Moderator
    In a perfect world, the class should provide a student the ability complete all of the legal documents and have a completed application, including fingerprints and photos, ready to be dropped into the mail, all before leaving the facility. Is that expecting too much?
    Yep.
    You forgot the part about qualifing at the range.
    Gotta have that.

BTW, welcome to the forum.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

If you are already signed up for the course, your name/address/phone number will be on the application. I'd think whoever is putting the class on will be contacting you, with information on what to bring to the class. If no contact is made on their part, I think I would be contacting them, for further instructions. It'd be a bummer to show up, and not have a weapon to qualify with, for example. Just my thoughts.

Concealed Carry Class

Best advice is contact the people running the class.

Do not transport a loaded firearm to class with no CC permit. For example, in Tennessee if you have no CCP then the unloaded firearm must be in one area of vehicle (like the passenger area) and the ammo in another (like the trunk).

You can call local law enforcement with questions but the person you speak with may not know the answers. So again, contacting people running the class is best bet.

Show Up Early!

I was at the last show in Melbourne and both the morning and afternoon classes were full. I would show up early and sign in right away. Good Luck and Welcome to the forum.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by selvaman View Post
    There is a gun & knife show on 4/4/09 at the Melbourne Auditorium in Brevard County Florida that offers the class, and I am looking forward to attending but have no idea how to prepare or what to expect. Should I bring my firearm, range bag, an already deveoped passport sized photo, or will all of that be provided for me. In a perfect world, the class should provide a student the ability complete all of the legal documents and have a completed application, including fingerprints and photos, ready to be dropped into the mail, all before leaving the facility. Is that expecting too much?
    I don't really know too much about Florida requirements. I got my CCW in Missouri. It is good in 35 states including Florida. Missouri requires you to qualify by shooting 15 of 20 rounds into the limits of a standard man size target. All guns are provided by the instructor. You are not allowed to use your own. Qualification is with .22 LR and can be with either a semi-auto pistol or a revolver. I chose the Browning semi-auto. You shoot from a standard 7 yard distance. It is not difficult to qualify unless you are blind. Missouri law requires this to be a minimum 8 hour course consisting of safety training but this includes the time on the range to qualify so class is really only about 6 hours depending on the instructor.

Where I qualified, the was a class was 40 persons. Each person had their turn at the range as others watched more video safety training clips. We were done with this by noon. Break for lunch, then listen to some more safety video, Instructor speaks, Guest cop instructor speaks, Missouri law is explained. etc.

All in all, an interesting experience.

Normally about 1 in 10 do not range qualify. They are allowed to come back at a later date to re qualify without forfeiting their fee or classroom time.

Once the instructor signs the paperwork. You take the signed document to your local sheriff's department where you are electronically finger-printed. The prints are sent off directly to the Missouri Highway Patrol and also to the FBI.

I was notified in one week that my endorsement papers were ready to pick up and that I had thirty days to register with the Missouri department of Revenue. This requires some additional paperwork, Soc, a passport and personal property tax receipts. On a good day it takes usually about an hour. I walked out with my CCW permit in less than two weeks after I took the course.

Prior to this I had applied for and obtained a Missouri Non-Drivers License ID so my CCW is not printed on my drivers license. This measure is a way to insure that should you need to present your driver's licensee for a transaction at a store, airport or such as the Nuclear Power Plant I'm designing, I won't be held for questioning while they determine if you are carrying or not where carrying is prohibited.

Since we have two residences, my wife registered in the County. I registered in the City. She is still waiting.
    In Missouri, the State law mandates the sheriff department to approve or disapprove within 45 days.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

"All guns are provided by the instructor. You are not allowed to use your own. Qualification is with .22 LR and can be with either a semi-auto pistol or a revolver."

Maybe for that instructor, but that is not the law in MO. I know a few instructors and they may provide weapons for those that do not have one yet or are having trouble with theirs, but they usually require that you bring your own + ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by reptyls View Post
    I was at the last show in Melbourne and both the morning and afternoon classes were full. I would show up early and sign in right away. Good Luck and Welcome to the forum.
    I was also at the last show, arrived ten minutes before the first class was to start, and paid the cover to enter the show only to find that the stage was blocked off as the class was already full. Lesson learned. On 4/4 I will be outside of the Melbourne Auditorium at 7:30am waiting patiently.
    Tactical Officer

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    "All guns are provided by the instructor. You are not allowed to use your own. Qualification is with .22 LR and can be with either a semi-auto pistol or a revolver."

Maybe for that instructor, but that is not the law in MO. I know a few instructors and they may provide weapons for those that do not have one yet or are having trouble with theirs, but they usually require that you bring your own + ammo.
    Well, you are absolutely right about this. There is no law in Missouri that prohibits you from using your own gun for CCW qualification.

Where I took my CCW I was told not to bring any of my own weapons into the classroom on that day. All guns and ammo were provided.

Other instructors structure their courses differently. Some do the classroom training over two weeknight sessions and then go to a range on a Saturday to qualify.

Some instructors provide lunch, others do not.

I know a couple of excellent instructors that will provide you a gun if you don't have one but now charge for ammo.

Even the community college system in Missouri offers CCW courses. I'm not sure what ranges they use. I know they are not one session courses, my preference.

I was recently honored with a special "invitation only" four hour advanced tactical pistol training session in May. This will be at the Berkley Police range. The instructors are all advanced tactical police instructors. This will be an experience for me that I am looking forward to. Most civilians never get to shoot at police ranges and at moving targets on a range.

It is possible to be trained Missouri for a Utah CCW by some instructors. No range qualification is required, only 8 hours of classroom safety training. Not recommended IMO.

By far, Missouri qualifies your CCW to be honored for reciprocity in more states than any other. 35 states.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post

+1 on that.... Missouri here too. We had to qualify with BOTH semi-auto and revolver in my county. Guns & ammo was provided by the instructor and none of them was a .22

We all shot .38 Taurus snubnose (mod 85) and a Sig .380 The instructor had 5 of each gun for the students to share and trade off.

Bottom line is each State has their own requirements and peculiarities. So I am leaving the info you request up to those from Florida
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

selvaman
    No you are not expecting too much.

Took that class in MLB back in December with my wife. They furnish a qualifying gun for you. You will shoot at a indoor range on Aurora blvd in MLB a few minutes from the class after you pass the test.

You have the option of getting ink prints there or electronic prints done at a Sheriffs office. I went ink. Some SOs do not take electronic prints so check with SO where you live.

Suggest you purchase the Florida law reference book by gutmacher.

Get there early or class will fill up. Morning class was sold out but in the PM there were a couple seats.

They step you through each step of the application and tell you the app hangups from past students.

Photo is taken there or you can bring yours. You may want to bring yours.

hint: sit in the back

mkh
    Quote Originally Posted by selvaman View Post
    I was also at the last show, arrived ten minutes before the first class was to start, and paid the cover to enter the show only to find that the stage was blocked off as the class was already full. Lesson learned. On 4/4 I will be outside of the Melbourne Auditorium at 7:30am waiting patiently.
    Selvaman - check out this site - http://floridaconcealedcarry.

Lots of new Florida members. I like it...
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Links