Finally Took The Class

This is a discussion on Finally Took The Class within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, after almost a year of being 21, I finally got around to taking my CWP class yesterday. I took the class from a local ...

Thread: Finally Took The Class

Finally Took The Class

Well, after almost a year of being 21, I finally got around to taking my CWP class yesterday. I took the class from a local instructor at a local indoor range/gun shop. The class went from 9 to 6 with a lunch break and several smaller breaks. I was really afraid that I would be bored most of the time, but the instructor was really funny and a great speaker. He kept us entertained while still teaching what we needed to know. We got all the paperwork, pictures, and fingerprinting done first, which was nice.

Towards the end of the class, we took the 50 question, multiple choice test. It also had two short answer questions. The test was pretty easy (I ended up making a 100 ). You had to get 35 out of 50 problems correct. Next we took the shooting test. We shot 10 rounds from 3, 5, 7, and 10 yards. We also shot 5 rounds from 12 and 15 yards. You only had to get 35 out of 50 shots into the black, human sized silhouette. Sadly I had one stray shot outside of the black at 15 yards. In my defense, I was shooting a subcompact.

All in all it was a fun learning experience. There were 25 people in the class, including 4 women, which I was glad to see. He said that since last September, all of his classes have been full. He teaches 4 or 5 classes each month. The cost was $160, which included the $50 SLED fee. I thought this was reasonable since they do your fingerprints and take your picture for you. They also send off your application and whatnot for you. I hope my novel wasn't too long. I have to stay busy while I wait my roughly 120 days to get my permit.
    "But blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD, whose confidence is in him."-Jeremiah 17:7

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Congrats, the best way to stay busy (and safe) during your wait is to shoot...A LOT! Helps you feel more comfortable with your weapon, and it's a lot of fun!
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

I guess SC is a more "perfect world" than FL as far as CC classes go. I am a big fan of the "all in one place" training facility. In my area I have found only one gun shop that provides the class, but even with a premium price, they don't offer the photo, fingerprint, and delivery of your application to the state.
    Tactical Officer

VIP Member

Well done!!

Now starts the longest 120 days of your life!!
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Thanks for the run down of how the day went. I signed up yesterday for the same class at the same place. I was also worried that the day would drag on and not be worth staying awake for. I am glad to hear that it is.

The easy part for you is over, the hard part now is the long wait.

Congrats...on getting it done!
    Your permit will be here in no time.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I had my class a couple weeks ago ($135) - but didn't get much shooting...I think maybe 50 - 60 rounds at what might have been 12-15 feet. Only had to get 6 of 6 on the target (a full-sized paper plate).

I wish we would have had more practice shooting at different distances.

- Then had to go get my own pictures done (Wal-Mart, Meijer, etc.)

- Then have to go to county clerk to turn in app (and pay $105); then have to go to county sherriff for fingerprints.

I like your way better (one-stop shop, and more shooting )

- Although I think our wait time is only 30-60 days (not sure which, I've heard both...)

selvaman, check your other post re: Melbourne they do it all.

Congrats on completion of the course. I guess I'm really lucky to live in Wa. State.. No classes needed. No range time needed.. Just go to the local courthouse, fill out the form, give fingerprints. 30 days or less you get the permit in the mail.. Took one of my house-mates 4 days to get his. But he also worked for Customs years ago..Got mine in 3 weeks..
    It takes over 40 muscles to frown. But yet less than 10 to smack the hell outta who makes you frown. Work smarter, not harder......

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    congrats and i thought they had only 90 days
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

They say it should take no longer than 90 days, but it's gotten so backed up lately. Our instructor said he knew a guy whose took 143 days. He also said that he heard from people in one of his classes from November who are just now getting theirs.
    "But blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD, whose confidence is in him."-Jeremiah 17:7

Holy crap! $160? My local guy does the class for $60 which included the prints, then $50 to SLED.

Good to see some of the the instructors are making some extra money.

FWIW, My class consisted of the same things yours did.

90 days from the time they cash the check. That my friend is the law.

A few folks have already contacted their legislators about longer than 90 wait times. I say cut SLED a break and be prepared to wait 120 days.

I bet you'll see it around the 90 day time frame. There have been occasions for some folks to take longer. Most of whom this has happened to have had some military experience which may or may not have included some special clearances.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Links