CHL in Texas

This is a discussion on CHL in Texas within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Texas DPS web page still has my CHL status as Certificate/License Not Active. Anyone else experienced this?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CHL in Texas

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar

CHL in Texas

Texas DPS web page still has my CHL status as Certificate/License Not Active. Anyone else experienced this?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    How long since you sent in your paperwork?
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Oh, sorry. They received it 3/9/09. They sent me a pin# via email when I wrote to ask a question.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    I would say that is the norm.........when you see that it is being processed it will probably be only a week before you get it. Remember that have 60 days.....according to the book. It has been known to take longer.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

I will be over joyed if they only take 60 days! I am just ready to have it in hand so I can share my Wally Walk experience with everyone LOL.

good for you, just be patient, it will come
    EDC's Colt Defender 45 acp and S&W 442 .38
    Springfield XD 45 acp
    Ruger SR9
    Ruger Super RedHawk .44 mag
    mossberg 590 12 gauge tactical
    bushmaster AR15-M4

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Mine took about 90 days

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    I would say that is the norm.........when you see that it is being processed it will probably be only a week before you get it. Remember that have 60 days.....according to the book. It has been known to take longer.

You got me all excited with that statement! I got my pin March 6th and have been in processing since...Figured I'd check to see if they had issued it yet....nope! I heard of one guy from San Antonio getting his CHL issued in like 6 weeks.....I'm hoping mine doesn't take much longer. Submitted it on Feb 9th.

P.S.: Hey Ernie, I'm in Willis quite a bit over in PointAquarius! Inlaws have a place on the water. Any good places to shoot around there? Guess when you start carrying you'll have to stop going to that ritzy Willis Country Club off 1097, haha :)
    Yep, I'm a Male Nurse.....Focker

Kimber Ultra CDP II
    Beretta PX4 9mm
    Ruger LCP
    FN Herstal PBR .308

For Texas 60+ days is pretty much minimum (thats if your county is fast and all the counties you lived in for the last 5 years respond promptly to the background searches).

You can find more info as to others wait times for texas CHL in the "waiting room":

TexasCHLforum.com ; View forum - The "Waiting Room"

Texas waiting times vary widely. The DFW area has been much shorter, as few as 35 days, while the Gulf Coast is very long. The hurricane delayed the background checks, apparently because they are tied up with hurricane-related issues.

I live in Willis, and received my CHL in February. It took 150 days, so you probably shouldn't be sitting by the mailbox just yet. :)

Favorites: "If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a soldier."
    Admiral Gary Roughead, CNO: "I never, ever, want to see my sailors or Marines in a fair fight."

You got me all excited with that statement! I got my pin March 6th and have been in processing since...Figured I'd check to see if they had issued it yet....nope! I heard of one guy from San Antonio getting his CHL issued in like 6 weeks.....I'm hoping mine doesn't take much longer. Submitted it on Feb 9th.

P.S.: Hey Ernie, I'm in Willis quite a bit over in PointAquarius! Inlaws have a place on the water. Any good places to shoot around there? Guess when you start carrying you'll have to stop going to that ritzy Willis Country Club off 1097, haha :)
    Springfield XD40 SC bitone "SpringerPrecisioned"
    Beretta PX4 9mm w/ Robar Norton Special
    Ruger LCP "the noisy cricket"
    __________________________________________________ _
    I'm on Calvary Rd by the lake. I typically shoot at Shooters Station on HWY 105

Texas waiting times vary widely. The DFW area has been much shorter, as few as 35 days, while the Gulf Coast is very long. The hurricane delayed the background checks, apparently because they are tied up with hurricane-related issues.

I live in Willis, and received my CHL in February. It took 150 days, so you probably shouldn't be sitting by the mailbox just yet. :)

Favorite quote: "If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a soldier."
    Navy Admiral: "I never, ever, want to see my Marines in a fair fight."

Mine took a little over 90 days, there was a delay due to the hurricane that hit down here, at least thats what they said.
    NRA Member

Be sure to check the DL number on your CHL very carefully.

It took me 4 months to get my CHL initially, and when I got it I looked it over and everything looked good. Then 4 months later I noticed that they had made a 3 an 8 for my DL number on my CHL. So I called DPS, I had to pay $25 and send in the form to get it corrected. I did that over 3 weeks ago and am still waiting to get my corrected plastic. In the meantime I am not sure if I should carry or not.

I was never a real strong proponent of open carry states being able to just strap on a pistol with no permit or anything, but I am starting to see the light in that. Its a joke to have to wait 4 months to get a permit, then have to wait another who knows how long to get it corrected when they make a mistake..which I had to pay additional money for.

Granted I should have checked it more closely, so that is my fault, but either way its taken way to long to get that corrected.

Be sure to check the DL number on your CHL very carefully.

It took me 4 months to get my CHL initially, and when I got it I looked it over and everything looked good. Then 4 months later I noticed that they had made a 3 an 8 for my DL number on my CHL. So I called DPS, I had to pay $25 and send in the form to get it corrected. I did that over 3 weeks ago and am still waiting to get my corrected plastic. In the meantime I am not sure if I should carry or not.

I was never a real strong proponent of open carry states being able to just strap on a pistol with no permit or anything, but I am starting to see the light in that. Its a joke to have to wait 4 months to get a permit, then have to wait another who knows how long to get it corrected when they make a mistake..which I had to pay additional money for.

Granted I should have checked it more closely, so that is my fault, but either way its taken way to long to get that corrected.
    __________________________________________________ ________
    I too had a problem with my license #, but the person at DPS corrected it for me after I emailed to let them know I was unable to view my status. I guess I lucked out there. They also gave me a pin# via email. It has only been 15 days sinse they received my packet, but they apparently have not gotten to it yet because the web site still gives me the message "No License/ Certificate active. How long should I wait before I call them?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links