Check Your spare mag's!!!

Check Your spare mag's!!!

This is a discussion on Check Your spare mag's!!! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I finally broke down and ordered some new Factory mags to replace my aftermarket HK USP 12 round spares I carry. Aftermarket may look close ...

Exclamation Check Your spare mag's!!!

I finally broke down and ordered some new Factory mags to replace my aftermarket HK USP 12 round spares I carry. Aftermarket may look close but there is a difference on how smooth they work....

So when the new ones came today I quickly pulled the Spares from my mag pouch I carry and proceeded to unload them.

First one was OK other than being aftermarket...

Second one felt strange when I unloaded it, the inside was packed full of LINT!!! Yes it still Mt's OK but it could have been a serious issue, lint was packed on/in everything on this one mag!

I do a daily on my gun, and give the spares a look over and a tap on the hand to make sure the rounds are all seated properly, but I am at a loss as to why just to one mag did this... But to anyone else MT and check your spare mags!!!!
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

MT? Whats that?
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    I loaned my P3AT to a friend to try. He carried it in his pocket in a pocket holster.
    When he returned it after a month or so I broke it down for cleaning, and found it full of lint. Not sure why, but it was there enough to make me believe that it might malfunction.

By then he had his own, and when I told him about mine he found his own was full of lint.

Good to check your equipment periodically.

Regards,
    Jerry

+1 on that jerry
    EDC's Colt Defender 45 acp and S&W 442 .38
    Springfield XD 45 acp
    Ruger SR9
    Ruger Super RedHawk .44 mag
    mossberg 590 12 gauge tactical
    bushmaster AR15-M4

I unload the carry and spare mags and blow them out with some compressed air at the beginning of each month. I will get some lint but usually not enuf to cause a malfunction. The empty mags are put into the safe and the 2 spare mags are loaded and put into use. This keeps the springs from being compressed for extended periods and hopefully will help the mags last longer.

Sometimes, if I am bored while driving, I will take the spare mag out of my cargo pocket and unload/reload it. This cleans it, relaxes the spring and lets me practice loading the mag without looking at it. Sometimes I will do this left handed but this makes me feel like I should join BHO in the special olympics bowling.

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    I loaned my P3AT to a friend to try. He carried it in his pocket in a pocket holster.
    When he returned it after a month or so I broke it down for cleaning, and found it full of lint. Not sure why, but it was there enough to make me believe that it might malfunction.

By then he had his own, and when I told him about mine he found his own was full of lint.

Good to check your equipment periodically.

Regards,
    Jerry
    For those who carry in a pocket holster, it is a good idea to vacum out the holster from time to time, to get rid of the lint that builds up at the bottom of the holster.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

VIP Member
    I'm just guessing on MT but.....empty?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by AllAmerican View Post
    MT? Whats that?
    MT or empty
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

I to had a bad experience with aftermarket mags. In a IDPA shoot used my last mag in the last string in my HK P7 and it malfunctioned. After that-factory all the way.
    Expecting a carjacker or rapist or drug pusher to care that his possession or use of a gun is unlawful is like expecting a terrorist to care that his car bomb is taking up two parking spaces.-Joseph T. Chew

VIP Member
    Good reminder to always fully check our gear!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

A clean gun (or mag) is a happy gun (or mag)!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Yah, I blow out & clean daily.
    There is always a trace of lint buildup.
    I also make sure there is minimum of grease or oil. That makes a mess.

I believe that when I first got my Kimber Ultra carry II, and it FTF'd a few times, it was improper cleaning that lead to that. Since I clean better, I have had absolutely no problems.
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

I will never forget pulling out a spare Makarov mag that had been in my truck for months. The cartridge casings were green! Wow, they were hard to get out too. Big, big lesson for me.
    Maintain your stuff folks and keep your powder dry.

The HK gets lint from the shirt over the pancake carry method I use and it gets a daily inspection and general cleaning, but the spare mags since they were aftermarket, stayed in the mag pouch on my side, with the HK factory in the gun.
    Only one of the spare mags was crudded up with lint, the only thing I can think of is it was the rear mag, the one that would get rubbed the most by my winter coat...
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Links