AL. GA. Folk… CCW Info?

AL. GA. Folk… CCW Info?

This is a discussion on AL. GA. Folk… CCW Info? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; To the very informed community here. After much research as I always do before traveling (yes I have thoroughly done searches as well as the ...

AL. GA. Folk… CCW Info?

To the very informed community here. After much research as I always do before traveling (yes I have thoroughly done searches as well as the Handgun Law site search) I’ll be in Alabama and Georgia for a couple of weeks, and regarding the AL. statement about varying County Sheriffs with some local slant towards restaurant carry where alcohol is served, non-resident permit etc. Or other potential “gotya’s”.

Any recent/local changes that should concern me in either state? As always I have called every state agency where I am traveling to confirm data, but the kind Sheriffs dept in the Birmingham area did not have a clue what I was talking about…they were vary nice, however could not confirm anything other than just obey the rules from the issued state.

Thanks for any info, sure is tough sometimes to be law abiding!

Living vicariously through all of you here in the “Peoples Republic of Wisconsin”

Paul

for GA info see here Welcome to GeorgiaPacking.org it has all the gun laws in plain english. if you dont have a permit with reciprocity you will have to carry unloaded and locked away while in GA(because you are not a resident, and therefore dont meet the requirements for our permit). But if you have a NH,FL etc non resident permit you will be good to go.

just have to be careful about public gatherings church,church function, organized sporting events,govt buildings but also not limited too. it was written very vague to disarm black men after the civil war, Georgia Carry is currently lobbying, trying to get the Jim Crow law off the books
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Alabama is a fairly gun friendly state even though it is "May Issue". For the most part you shouldn't have any trouble with everyday carry. Alabama has no specific prohibited places laws, it is mostly up to the local Sheriff. The no place of alcohol is there for the drunk in the bar that has a firearm. Restaurant carry that serves alcohol has never been a problem as long as you aren't stupid. The bigger cities still have their sheeple but concealed is concealed. Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by flyflyfun View Post
    To the very informed community here. After much research as I always do before traveling (yes I have thoroughly done searches as well as the Handgun Law site search) I’ll be in Alabama and Georgia for a couple of weeks, and regarding the AL. statement about varying County Sheriffs with some local slant towards restaurant carry where alcohol is served, non-resident permit etc. Or other potential “gotya’s”.

Any recent/local changes that should concern me in either state? As always I have called every state agency where I am traveling to confirm data, but the kind Sheriffs dept in the Birmingham area did not have a clue what I was talking about…they were vary nice, however could not confirm anything other than just obey the rules from the issued state.

Thanks for any info, sure is tough sometimes to be law abiding!

Living vicariously through all of you here in the “Peoples Republic of Wisconsin”

Paul
    As I'm sure you are aware, Alabama does not have reciprocity with Wisconsin. You cannot carry a loaded handgun in your vehicle or carry concealed on your person anywhere in Alabama without a concealed carry permit. While Alabama is considered gun friendly, that would not apply to carrying without a permit. My advice to you would be to not carry while you are in Alabama. I would hate to see you get into serious trouble while visiting here. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
    Anyway, enjoy your trip and I hope the people of Alabama make you feel welcome.
    NRA life member.

For future use, get a Florida carry permit and you would have reciprocity with GA and AL. I've heard it takes about 90 days.
    Last edited by Roy McC; March 23rd, 2009 at 10:47 PM. Reason: correction
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government".
    Patrick Henry

Sorry for the missunderstanding...I do have multiple CCw permits w/reciprocity. I was just concerned about some of the "local" potential concerns from your experiences.

Thanks for all the help! Information is king.

Paul

WRT Georgia, rmodel65's posted link to Georgiapacking.org's website is the best place to research our state's firearm laws "...in plain english".

AFA "local concerns", where are you going? Just like any state, some cities/counties are more 'friendly' than others.

Open carry is legal in Ga. but that opens you up to the scrunity of local LEO's and the 'scared citizens' among us.

You should be alright as long as you stay away from schools(on property), bars (restruants that serve are OK as long as your not drinking or 'under the influence'), and the dreaded 'Public Gatherings'. This is our states 'little catch-all' clause......ie, carry in a mall is OK, but if ,for example, there is a 'concert' (church group or a school chours class singing) being held at said mall, it's now considered a 'Public Gathering' and off limits. Also any place you have to pay to get into is considered 'off-limits' as well.

For the most part carry in Ga. is good-to-go. I'd recommend you review the GPO "plain english" laws and post any questions after. It really depends on where your going and what your going to be doing.

Welcome to the Peach State!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Thanks much, in Al I will be over at the Barber track for several days, then from there over to Road Atlanta for several more days, and kind of all around in between. It is my understanding that it is a no-go at both of those venues, but wanted again to always check any local nuances. Our local rules are easy...they suck!

Take care, be safe.
    Paul

Alabama and Georgia are both very friendly carry states. I’ve lived in both.

Been out to dinner-lunch with a good friend who was Sherriff of a southern Alabama county many times, and we always ordered a beer or two.

Alabaa does not have specific laws, because as long as you’re not a drunk or DUI you’ll have no problem.

My understanding of the way it works here in Alabama is that local sheriffs can place restrictions on permits they issue that go beyond the restrictions of State law, but those don't apply to someone with a valid permit issued elsewhere. I've held permits from two different counties in Alabama which had different restrictions printed on them... but I don't have to know what those might be for whatever county I'm traveling through. I always have to obey the ones on my permit.

Regards,
    faithmyeyes

Quote Originally Posted by faithmyeyes View Post
    My understanding of the way it works here in Alabama is that local sheriffs can place restrictions on permits they issue that go beyond the restrictions of State law, but those don't apply to someone with a valid permit issued elsewhere. I've held permits from two different counties in Alabama which had different restrictions printed on them... but I don't have to know what those might be for whatever county I'm traveling through. I always have to obey the ones on my permit.

Regards,
    faithmyeyes
    That clears up what I was confused about.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Roy McC View Post
    For future use, get a Florida carry permit and you would have reciprocity with GA and AL. I've heard it takes about 90 days.
    Try like 5 months if you're lucky.

the NH permit is good in GA and only like 20$
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Links