Visiting DC . Whats the law? - Page 2

Visiting DC . Whats the law?

This is a discussion on Visiting DC . Whats the law? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Divebum47 .....unless you happen to be a criminal. Seriously, don't go there; more people killed in D.C. (District of Criminals) than in ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Visiting DC . Whats the law?

jfl
    Quote Originally Posted by Divebum47 View Post
    .....unless you happen to be a criminal.

Seriously, don't go there; more people killed in D.C. (District of Criminals) than in Iraq.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Here is a list of all the great things to see in D.C.:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The laws are even worse...don't take a gun anywhere near D.C.
    Enjoy the trip!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

DC, NY, Chicago, and any other place that does not accept Florida CCL are on my no visit places.

I figure they donít want my tourist dollars.

Jang,
    Thanks for that comprehensive review of DC & MD ................ faults.

To think, I had a passing fit of temporary insanity the other day when I considered accompanying a group of teens on a trip to DC.
    Itís so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

ďThe way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,Ē the Sheriff said.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatGonzo View Post
    Actually, out-of-state law enforcement officers are permitted to carry firearms in D.C. under LEOSA. It happens all of the time now, especially during the law enforcement memorial week...
    That is good news to hear and must be a really recent change in DC policy under Adrian Fenty.
    Thanks for the correction and update!

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar

Oh, no, no, no....

Quote Originally Posted by voler78 View Post
    Visiting DC next month. Does any one know if you can your take your handgun into DC as long as it is unloaded and kept in your car? .......
    Oh, please don't do that.....DC police have microphones set up to know where to send LEO when gun shots are heard.....why there are gunshots when there are no guns, I don't know...NYC is a safer city than DC...DC made me nervous......two days minimum for Smithsonian Aero......Lincoln Memorial will bring a tear to the eye how somber it is....enjoy and stay safe.
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

I think some of you are being a bit over dramatic about the consequences of visiting DC. I do live in Virginia, I do CC here and wish I could in DC as well, but I never refrain from going into the District simply because I cannot carry. DC is a wonderful, beautiful city full of things that every American can and should enjoy. As to staying safe safe there - as well as anywhere else - you need to depend upon street smarts and a refined sense of situational awareness. The fact of the matter is, you have a significantly higher chance of being killed or injured from an automobile accident driving in the District than of being killed or injured from a violent crime in the district that you could have averted if you were carrying. I am living proof that these things work. I lived through 30 years in NYC and 20 inside the beltway, regularly visiting the city and have not been shot or robbed in DC yet

So, go to DC, stay in the tourist areas and the Northwest quadrant where the tourist attractions are and exercise the common sense we all know about (don't flash money, don't visit the local drug corners, etc) Maintain the sense of situational awareness you would in any large city and you will be fine.

Agreed, somewhat. ^^ [bklynboy]

For folk who are not major city bred and raised such as Baltimore (not county), NYC (not NY state), Chicago, Philly, Atlanta, Miami, and Los Angeles (not county) those persons will have no problem and find DC to be safe if not safer than their home zones.

Why? Because it's largely smaller than those other places and those persons will also be street _and_ city savvy. Take a real city person and drop him or her into any other real and major city as named above and they will be fine and thrive. They know the score and have good common sense.

Elsewise suburban and rural (my wifes relatives) as well as farm folks, less so much.
    Where they come from people are a different breed on the whole and as well the streets of urban centers and major cities very much tend to be harder and more concrete.

Do those persons always have issues? Nope.
    Do they tend to be seen as marks by the 'locals'? You betcha.
    Why? Because they stand out as being 'not from around here' same as we city folk do in the suburbs or country. It's obvious in a number of ways and it's not just clothing style or type/brand either.

Last item, every major urban center city regardless of where it might be located has what I'll term as 'zones'. Some zones for some people are generally safe and fine just by playing the numbers game alone in odds.
    While other zones some folk should generally stay left and right of when the sunsets. And then there are the zones that unless you are a local and/or even specifically of that zone you would be best to avoid period as not even cops want to go or be there.

How do you best identify these zones as a new comer? Ask a cop or watch the local daily news for a week. It'll become obvious within days.
    But if you're just visiting for the weekend or a business trip or staying with friends/relatives for a few days then stick to the well known tourist areas and tour that. But don't travel looking like a complete moron tourist and if you don't know what that means then well you're already behind the curve without even departing yet...

I personally LOVE DC. It is my home town.
    I feel fine and very safe there and I have lived in every one of it's zones at one time or another with exception of the Capitol Hill area.
    I have and would run and play anywhere in DC too and have, day or night. My family and friends are there everywhere.
    But. Even for me there are a few blocks and streets and one apartment complex in specific that are no go 'zones'. Though being a native I have learned and know this as fact while non-natives largely do not have the same luxury of knowledge and environmental determination skill set. For example if you go to Adams Morgan at night stay within Adams Morgan. Do not venture out past Kalorama street even if there is more open parking out that way. You have been warned as predators know this and prey on know no better suckas there where there is little to no police patrols after dark.

As to non-natives and new comers they generally either get lucky and have no issues anywhere, or they stick to common sense and don't do stupid stuff like travel alone after hours amongst known trouble zones (i.e. walking amongst the DC Mall after dark is generally a bad idea). Or they get unlucky including walking around night or day with iPods in their ears and blinders on ignorant of trouble signs and not knowing how to read the ground and their surroundings.

Like the Kenny Rogers song goes;
    "You got to know when to hold'em. Know when to fold'em. Know when to walk away, and know when to run..."

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Janq,

I don't know if I agree with your assessment.

I'm so country that I know what it is to use a fireplace for heat, have an outhouse and cook on a wood burning stove. Electricity was by way of a generator that we shut off at 9:00 PM each night. I learned to fight by wrestling calves that didn't want to be branded.

So, I guess you could say that I'm as country as a bronc on the western plains. With that said, I never had a problem in Chicago or L.A.. I even stepped out of my rental car and asked a guy for directions in some crappy neighborhood by LAX. Problems?

Not a single problem. Maybe it has to do with how one carries him or her self? I do know what a "crappy" neighborhood looks like, and even lived in one in the city. The point to all this is, just because you're from the country don't mean you can't survive in the city. I highly doubt the same could be said of a city boy dropped in to the country.

Biker
    Last edited by BikerRN; March 25th, 2009 at 01:39 PM. Reason: spelling

The odds work in favor of everyone Biker amongst major cities thanks to the sheer amount of numbers of people.
    But, those same odds reduce greatly for outsiders who find themselves amongst insiders in applicable 'zones' as I'd mentioned.

Odds alone help, as well as other items including for yourself in specific being male, your physicality (wrestling steer is not a job for 98 lb. punks nor those who like to be as much) , outward vibe/attitude (!), and simply not being a doofus.
    Unfortunately for many folks though many people do not fit into the above square pegs individually much less in whole. Hence criminal victimization.

- Janq

Janq,

I think we are both going around the Barn to end up at the same place, just taking a different route.

It's about mindset and survival menatlity. I will get through whatever situation you place me in. That's my mindset, and your's is probably similar. I will hurt those that try to hurt me and mine, to keep it from happening again.

In short, I will do what I have to do.

Just because I may not like doing something does not mean that I can't do it, and do it well. You're probably much the same. Take care mate and stay safe.

Biker

Agreed on all points Biker, including the barn perimeter. +1

Unfortunately many people do not share our mindset and view of environments, and living life.
    Many see only the flower of the rose while others fixate in the thorn. And even more become concerned and fearful toward what lies within and amongst the bush.

You and I though, we see a thing of beauty that requires and should be respected.
    It is what it is. :)

- Janq

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links