Visiting DC . Whats the law?

This is a discussion on Visiting DC . Whats the law? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Visiting DC next month. Does any one know if you can your take your handgun into DC as long as it is unloaded and kept ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Visiting DC . Whats the law?

Visiting DC . Whats the law?

Visiting DC next month. Does any one know if you can your take your handgun into DC as long as it is unloaded and kept in your car? I'm a TN HCP holder. Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

If your destination is DC, I believe peaceful journey does not apply to you and you'll be subject to their possession laws.

I have not read through the latest version of their gun laws, but I doubt you can have your gun there at all, without registering it.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Senior Moderator
    Unless you want to be a guest of the DC police do not take a gun to DC
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

Lead Moderator
    I wouldn't risk it! DC and NYC, two places guns don't go!

(Now if your hotel is in Virginia, and you can leave the gun there....)
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Don't take the gun into the district.
    VA is okay, MD ..... check the regs there, MD is not all that gun friendly as I recall.
    (I used to live in NOVA.)
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

When visiting DC your only self defense option is prayer. You are almost required to simply roll over and take it, trusting the BG to only want your stuff and not your life.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

If you are not willing to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

-Paco

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    When visiting DC your only self defense option is prayer.
    You got that right!
    Whatever you do, DON'T trust the Gubmt there.
    Last edited by elkhunter; March 24th, 2009 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Spell check!
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

Don't cross the beltway. You can probably stay on it and go around but don't go inside it. I believe you can't even have ammunition either. I to go to a gun shop in Bethesda to get ammo. D.C. was a pain to get around after my purchases.

Stay in VA...

What will you be doing in DC?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

The law in DC is very simple.

You may not bring into Washington, DC as a non-resident (nor as an unlicensed resident post Heller) any firearms nor ammunition regardless of how it might be kept, stored, or carried (citizen carry is expressly disallowed of all persons resident or non-resident, again see Heller) even as same may be lawful in bordering states of VA and MD or else wise amongst the nation. Period no exceptions even for out of state law enforcement officers or agents and military too.
    If you are not a Federal LEO and do not have such credentials on your person, then forget about it.
    Further there are signs along the major highway into DC from VA that states exact same and details the punishment as being jail time.

Considering all the talk about DC during the Heller case this should be by now common general knowledge.
    I strongly urge you to not even think about trying to bring firearms or ammo into DC for if you are by some way caught (getting into a fender bender in DC is stupid easy for out of towners is stupid easy and common for those unfamiliar with driving through traffic circles) with a firearm they will throw the book at you, upside the head.
    Even as it is very well known by everybody who is a native that DC is rife with firearms be it by BGs and GGs too acting counter to the law.

Washington, D.C. is not a state. It is and has always been a Federal city that is managed by a mayor. Like any other Federal grounds and installation no firearms are allowed period, including not even on NPS grounds that are within the boundaries of the city.
    Oh and another thing. Do not drink _any_ alcohol and get pulled over in DC. Do so and you will be jailed. There have been numerous cases of same against men and women including persons of moderate fame and community respect that have been owned by DCs alcohol laws in regard to operating a motor vehicle. They effectively have no minimum limit. Stay 0.0 or else suffer consequences of being jailed.

Wit my own friends and my wifes family members who mention tome they might be traveling to DC for work or fun I typically will ask first; 'Why?!', followed second by a suggestion to stay and play in VA on the Arlington and Alexandria side of the Potomac. Cherry blossoms and what not as well as hotels and Reagan National Airport can all be viewed or accessed from VA with ease.
    For more information on these and associated legal items and penalties go to the DC police website.

- Janq is a DC native raised while birthed and schooled in MD who last lived in NoVA before recently moving to MA

P.S. - If you plan to stay in VA then you had better be sure to find out and know ahead of time where the VA state line ends for both the ground roads as well as the highways too. As for staying in MD you may not carry at all. But they do allow for peaceful journey (straight through with no stops but for fuel) as well as transport to the state but be double sure the firearm and ammunition are properly and securely locked up per Federal law standards of transportation. Maryland is infamous like NYC, MA and NJ when it comes to enforcement of their firearm laws toward otherwise non-criminal by intent GGs...like you and me. You have been warned as ignorance is not an excuse in a DC or MD court of law.
    More on this can also be found via the VA and MD state police websites which is what anyone traveling outside their home zone with firearms should reference first and foremost.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by elkhunter View Post
    Don't take the gun into the district.
    VA is okay, MD ..... check the regs there, MD is not all that gun friendly as I recall.
    (I used to live in NOVA.)
    That's why I didn't mention Maryland in my earlier post! You don't have a big problem transporting through Maryland as long as you do it correctly (weapon unloaded - locked up, ammo separate and not in mags), but you'd better not stop!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

DC and NYC, two places guns don't go!
    .....unless you happen to be a criminal.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    The law in DC is very simple.

You may not bring into Washington, DC as a non-resident (nor as an unlicensed resident post Heller) any firearms nor ammunition regardless of how it might be kept, stored, or carried (citizen carry is expressly disallowed of all persons resident or non-resident, again see Heller) even as same may be lawful in bordering states of VA and MD or else wise amongst the nation. Period no exceptions even for out of state law enforcement officers or agents and military too.
    Actually, out-of-state law enforcement officers are permitted to carry firearms in D.C. under LEOSA. It happens all of the time now, especially during the law enforcement memorial week. No problem at all and D.C. Metro is in complete understanding of the law. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for a law abiding citizen wishing to carry on a permit from out-of-state. D.C. will fight that until the bitter end, Constitution be darned.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

carry a big stick.

sad but true.

Northern Piedmont of Va. & Middle of Nowhere, W.Va.
    DC is a third world country and Maryland is a pro-crime state. Both have about the same laws regarding possession; unless you fit into some fairly tightly written exceptions, it's a felony, even boxed and locked.

My advice, Don't cross the Potomac.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

Nothing I say as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice. Legal questions should be presented to a competent attorney licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links