Why I think the way I do.

This is a discussion on Why I think the way I do. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Got some stuff to say that I've wanted to clear up for a while now. I am from a rural area. When I say "rural" ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why I think the way I do.

Why I think the way I do.

Got some stuff to say that I've wanted to clear up for a while now.

I am from a rural area. When I say "rural" I mean it. Backwoods,The Sticks, Boondocks, Backcountry...what have you.

So when I asses a situation that I might encounter, I usually envision four legged problem before two legged ones. I prepare that way and I think that way. Don't get me wrong I prepare for human problems just as much. However, my chances are greater than any problem I do run into will be a critter problem.
    I do carry a 9mm pistol which to some seems counter intuitive to what I just said. I chose 9mm not because of "stopping power" or ballistic reasons. I chose it because i practice, a lot. And i ain't rich, lol. Is it the best choice for large critters, no. Will it work... yes.

I carry it alway's. I carry lots of ammo, alway's. ( lots of ammo) If I do go out into the woods, I take a rifle as well.
    I carry lots of ammo for the rifle as well.
    I carry a knife, nothing special just your regular old buck knife or leatherman. I dress warmer than i need to, and carry candies in my coat if i'm going any good distance away from my house. A flashlight as well (even if it's 8am)

Some of you will wonder what the point of all this is, most (on here anyway) will know the point already.

The point is that I like to be as prepared as possible. Some will say "why carry 3 xtra mags around" or "why carry a high cap 9mm around, you carry for self defense...not a gunfight"

Next time you hear those words, think about being out all alone, bleeding after just fending off some critter (2 or 4 legged..doesn't matter). You now have to try to get back to some safe area, be it your home, or what have you. How many rounds are left in your gun?
    Think real hard. Be Realistic.
    You probably fired more than half of whatever you have if not all, right? No matter if it is a 1911 or a 9mm XDM.

It's getting dark now, and you are still bleeding. It's a long way back. Help is not coming.

I still apply this thinking when I am down here in the city (very unwillingly I might add). Why change somthing that works? I don't know a soul down here (that I'd trust anyway) so again its just me and the wife, and now.. down here... the police.

So, that's why I alway err to the side of "overkill" in the way of extra ammo, knives, magazine capacity and whatever else i can.

Just because you neutralized your immediate threat doesn't mean you are "out of the woods" (pun intended) yet. Your gun is empty and you aren't home yet.

not sayin' its the right way or the best way.....it's just my way.

OK...I think i'm done now. lol!
    I thoroughly disapprove of duels.
    If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand
    and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
    -Mark Twain

2. Remove Ads

Sounds reasonable to me.

VIP Member
    +1, just being prepared, good for you.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

jfl
    The only time you carry too much ammo is when you have to swim
    Better have it and not need it than .......

I am with you.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Well there you go. Good to be prepared.
    NRA life member.

The more rounds you have, the better you can use for morse code

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Whatever works for you. There is a balance between weight/bulk and utility of what we carry. It is different for everyone.

I try to be prepared to spend at least 24 hours in a semi-comfortable state with what I have on my person. Appropriate clothes, good shoes, cash, bottle of water, a few snacks, charged phone, flashlight, Glock + mag, + lots of common sense. Most of that fits quite nicely in my jacket pockets.

I carry an extra mag on me and one in the van. Do I expect a long gun fight? Nope. Am I prepared for one? Yup.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it
    Expecting a carjacker or rapist or drug pusher to care that his possession or use of a gun is unlawful is like expecting a terrorist to care that his car bomb is taking up two parking spaces.-Joseph T. Chew

I'm a city boy, but those are good words. Thanks for sharing.
    Randy
    - - - - -
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

I also prefer to be over prepared. Having one less of anything when you need it sucks....

Amen

Some of my non-gunning, condition "white" friends think I am on the fringe.
    But like you, I think of the unexpected and try to be prepared.

Lord knows, I could do more in the way of preparedness.

Ever notice how the folks that make fun of you for being a "survivalist" are the first to show up at the door when SHTF?
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

and you thought that we would think awful of you??
    "Brains before Bullets"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links