NH - CCW - Past 14 Days... Giving Me Trouble

This is a discussion on NH - CCW - Past 14 Days... Giving Me Trouble within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi every one, I'm new to this site and recently applied for my CCW (About 3 weeks ago now). In New Hampshire they are required ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hi every one,
    I'm new to this site and recently applied for my CCW (About 3 weeks ago now). In New Hampshire they are required to either accept or decline your CCW application within or on the 14th day. So I called the department and they said a officer must come to my house at a random time and meet with me.. I said okay well what time did they come by? They sent an officer to my house at 10 a.m.... on a Tuesday.. I replied that time is no good since no one will be home, and told them my schedule they said okay well thats why we can't give it to you yet. I never saw any thing in the paper work saying that NH requires an officer to show up and come into your house randomly before you can be issued a CCW. Another week has past since they said they would let them know my schedule and no officer has shown up and I have still not recieved my CCW. Does this sound like they can do this? NH has a policy that they must accept your CCW or have good reason to decline (Felony, Criminal record, Mental Disability...)

Input Please,
    Thanks

In your case I would use one word when it came to dealing with your local police department. That word is "diplomacy".

I would diplomatically call the local PD and request to arrange a time when you WILL be at home. I know that this is a stretch, but this shows the local PD you are available for this "interview". It does sound somewhat odd from my point of view. I've never heard of the local PD sending someone to my home to interview me about a CCW permit application.

When, and if, a local PD officer arrived at your home I would diplomatically ask when this step was added to the CCW application process. If this is something that is new it would be helpful to have this info for future CCW applicants.

Again, be very diplomatic when dealing with the local PD. Since they are an integral part of the application process, so tread lightly! I would also ask where you can obtain this new policy of a visit to your home. It still sounds somewhat odd to say the least.
    Last edited by Pikachu711; March 25th, 2009 at 04:01 AM. Reason: spelling
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Aye I was very understanding over the phone and told them why I was not home and what time would be better. Her respone was that unfortunetly we cannot organize a time because it has to be random... (They obviously want to see if I am doing any thing or in possesion of any thing illegal)

I'm am 21 and have a great job and income I believe the cops around my town think I deal drugs or some thing... I am pretty straight edge except for the occasional drink.

Is it possible you could sent one day aside to be home regardless of the time the local PD can visit you? If you can give them a LOT of latitude they would have very little reason to say you were not home.

I don't know your schedule, but giving them one entire day might give them the opportunity to visit you.

BTW, I was born & raised in RI. We used to visit the "Old Man of the Mountain" every summer.

Live Free or Die!
    Glock 26

Pure BS.

Q: Who can get a concealed carry license?

A: With some rare exceptions, anyone who isn’t prohibited by law from possessing a gun is generally issued a License to Carry. State law (RSA 159:6 and 159:6-c) provides that if you’re denied a license, the issuing authority must give you the reason(s) for denial in writing within 14 days of the application; you have 30 days to ask the local district or municipal court for a hearing; the court must hold a hearing within 14 days after that; and “during this hearing the burden shall be upon the issuing authority to demonstrate by clear and convincing proof why any denial, suspension, or revocation was justified, failing which the court shall enter an order directing the issuing authority to grant or reinstate the petitioner's license.”

Q: My local police department says that they will take more than 14 days to process my application for a concealed carry license; they gave me a second form (besides the standard one-page application form); they require more than three references; they require my references to send letters to the police department; they require documented proof of firearms training; and they want fingerprints and photographs. Which of these actions are legal?

A: None of them. RSA 159:6 requires that licenses shall be issued or denied within 14 days of application, that “no other forms [other than the state-standard one-page form for NH residents, DSSP 85] shall be used,” and that no fingerprints or photographs may be demanded. RSA 159:6-f provides that issuing authorities who violate the law may be personally liable to you for court costs and attorney’s fees, provided that “the court finds that the entity or person knew or should have known that the conduct engaged in was a violation of this chapter” — which you can ensure by printing out a copy of all 26 sections of RSA 159 and delivering it to your police department.

Most police departments follow the law, but since the most common violation is delay beyond 14 days, I recommend that you send your completed application form (plus the print-out of the law) by certified mail, return receipt requested. That provides evidence of the date your application was delivered.
    Frequently Asked Questions about NH Gun Laws | Pro-Gun New Hampshire

You can go to PGNH or GONH or NHLA and ask for advice, no doubt this is not the first time this has happened. Failing a solution to your problem they will certainly cause a stink, calling attention to the rotten department making up regulation as they go and possibly making them rethink their ways.

It doesn't matter what they want to see, whatever their reasons it is ILLEGAL. You should not accept regulations and rules they've made up on their own whim.

Can you not go to the station and meet them instead? This seems very odd to me. The sheriff here said they would call me and let me know when to come in and get mine. And my buddy got a letter in the mail saying to come get his. Is strange to me they have to come to you, very strange indeed. IMHO they have no business coming by your residence in this case. I would ask about maybe scheduling a time you can go to them.
    AT3 (O-Level) United States Navy - NRA Life Member
    "Molan labe! Just try... I'll show you the strength of my conviction... and I'll sleep well that night..."

Going to the local PD makes more sense. From a scheduling perspective, this makes much more sense under the circumstances.

All in all, I'd be curious as to why this PD isn't quite following the letter of the law with regard to CCW permit applications.
    Glock 26

Quote Originally Posted by Pikachu711 View Post
    All in all, I'd be curious as to why this PD isn't quite following the letter of the law with regard to CCW permit applications.
    Let me have a guess..

Someone there believed they came up with a clever scheme to 'check up' on applicants, probably because they 'don't trust them', 'don't want to issue to just anyone in our name', 'we are the authorities and we should be looking into everyone's business', or something like that. Although they would probably weasel their way out of it with gentler words than mine.

When people get handed uniforms, badges or desks with authority, some of them go on power trips. Pure and simple.

I know one thing, over here it is written down in law that the authorities can go on random 'inspections' to registered gun owners to see to that they are storing their registered weapons according to regulation. This kind of nonsense happens in Euroland. Not in the Live Free Or Die state, where no such insane gun control laws exist. Don't accept it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pikachu711 View Post

Because until someone makes a big stink about it, they can.

Just another way for the politicos to keep the "sheep" in line. Same idea as poll taxes or any other impediment to a lawful action. Fight it. Fight it politely, but fight it.

If by some chance you know a lawyer or can find a lawyer that would send the PD a nice letter I bet that would clear everything up in jiffy.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow662 View Post
    If by some chance you know a lawyer or can find a lawyer that would send the PD a nice letter I bet that would clear everything up in jiffy.
    Yes, a polite, but firm lawyer!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I am also new to this site, also in NH and will be soon applying for my concealed carry permit (had one some years ago in TX). I agree with the other poster that said this is BS. New Hampshire law does not provide for an "interview". However, state law prevents cities and other localities from enacting laws concerning the regulation of firearms, components, ammunition and supplies, which are not in conformity with state law. By going beyond what NH law specifies, they're breaking the law! Here's what my small rural town has to say on their web site:
    Pistol Permit Application:
    Pistol Permit applications can be mailed, dropped off or faxed to the department. It can take up to two weeks to process the application. Original applicants must have 3 references with good mailing addresses. It is helpful to let people know they will be getting a letter, using their name as a reference on the application. If we do not receive all the letters back within the two week period, the application will be denied, and you must submit a new application to start the process again.
    You will be notified by phone or by mail that your application has been processed and approved. You may pick up and sign for your permit at the Town Hall during regular business hours. The fee is $10.00 for a 4 year permit. This is to be paid when you pick up your permit.

Notice there's no "interview" nonsense. Good luck.
    Glock 20
    Glock 27
    NRA member
    "If you look like food, you will be eaten." - Clint Smith

Can't say I like the fact that, that town you have to have a LEO give you an interview in your home. But I do love that the fee is only $10. I just dished out $110 and that didn't include the picture fee!

This is he first time that I have ever heard of anyone being required to have a "random visit" to their home, or any visit to their home for that matter. In my area, you must apply for the permit in person and pick it up in person. After the initial permit is issued, it can be renewed by mail. With the huge increase nationally on permit applications, I can't imagine any law enforcement agency having the manpower to visit CCW applicants in their homes. Strange indeed.

Please keep us informed on the purpose and outcome of the visit.
    NRA life member.

Well I have currently been working night shifts, and today I woke up to my dog barking and I took him outside and a police man was sitting in my drive way and he said to me "So you do exist". I guess he had been coming by every now and then during the day even though I told them I sleep 10-3. Lol. I was half asleep still so wasn't really all there in the head, I just told him to come in but I felt like a lousy host because I remember he hinted that he had to pee and my reply was "that sucks".. Lol. I will appologize for being rude but I'm sure he understood I still had lines on my face from my pillow heh. But all he wanted was to look at my ID and a piece of mail to confirm my residence.. Okay I don't get why he had to come into my house for that since they have my ID number and i'm listed as a resident in the town as well. Any ways he said now they have to do a criminal check and then it gets approved by the police chief so if this takes more than a week i'm going back down to the station.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links