Going to Texas and have a couple of CCW questions.

This is a discussion on Going to Texas and have a couple of CCW questions. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi guys I'm going to Texas in the Beginning of May for my sister in law's graduation and have a couple of CCW questions. First ...

Thread: Going to Texas and have a couple of CCW questions.

Hi guys I'm going to Texas in the Beginning of May for my sister in law's graduation and have a couple of CCW questions. First off is I know Texas honors a my Florida carry license so I can carry concealed while there.

But my questions are about the Texas no gun signs "30.06" signs I think they are called,are these signs state law or just something someone who doesn't want guns in their place of business can put up? If I see one of these signs should I not carry in that place? I don't want to violate the law in any way. Also is it legal for me to keep a gun in my vehicle while there loaded and accessible say in the center console like it is in FL. for those with a license to carry? Thanks guys for any help.

VIP Member
    I haven't carried yet in Texas myself but when in doubt I always go to Handgunlaw.us .
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Besides checking the usual places, like handgunlaws.us, also check out TexasCHLforum.com and Texas3006.com - Your 30.06 Information Resource - Home, both of which have local CHL information and the straight scopp on the signs, etc. Te0xas 30.06 signs (the 3.06 refers to the statute that covers CC) ARE legal, as long as they are done according to the law (very specific, so you don't want to carry into places that have them. Also, be mindful of the "51%" signs, which designate places that derive more than 51% of their income from the sale of alcoholic beverages (for onsite consumption). Carry is not permitted in 51% locations. They are required to display this sign at the entrance.

Recent clarification of TX law allows handgun carry in a vehicle, with or without a Texas CHL. I am NOT sure if this covers nonresidents.

Favorites: "If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a soldier."
    Admiral Gary Roughead, CNO: "I never, ever, want to see my sailors or Marines in a fair fight."

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Go to the Tx DPS site. The 30.06,if lettered properly and the right size and color,is for real. Also there are signs in places that derive more than 50% of their sales from booze for on premise consumption. There should be pictures on the site.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnHenry View Post
    Besides checking the usual places, like handgunlaws.us, also check out TexasCHLforum.com and Texas3006.com - Your 30.06 Information Resource - Home, both of which have local CHL information and the straight scopp on the signs, etc. Te0xas 30.06 signs (the 3.06 refers to the statute that covers CC) ARE legal, as long as they are done according to the law (very specific, so you don't want to carry into places that have them. Also, be mindful of the "51%" signs, which designate places that derive more than 51% of their income from the sale of alcoholic beverages (for onsite consumption). Carry is not permitted in 51% locations. They are required to display this sign at the entrance.

Recent clarification of TX law allows handgun carry in a vehicle, with or without a Texas CHL. I am NOT sure if this covers nonresidents.
    As a Texas CHL holder, I agree with what JohnHenry stated. The 30.06 notices are pretty much on hospitals and government buildings, but not many other places from personal experience. Also remember that in Texas you cannot carry on any grounds where school sponsored (primary, secondary, or collegiate) events are taking place, or at professional sporting events (stadiums, arenas, etc.). I'm not sure about the non-resident car carry rules, but Texas residents are allowed vehicle carry regardless of concealed license status. Don't carry into bars (51% rule as previously stated), but you can carry into liquor stores (no consumption on site).
    Carry in Texas is pretty relax as long as you know the rules and are a responsible carrier.

Enjoy your visit to Texas!

VIP Member
    yes the 30.06 signs are state law, if you enter carrying you are committing a class A misdemeanor

as for car carry, you're good to go with it in your car, unless you enter property (that can be parking lots) that are posted with 30.06

make sure to check out the sites that others have listed in the previous posts in this thread, they will provide you with further details, etc, but if you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask again here

good luck, and a pre-emptive welcome to Texas
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Just pay attention to the 30.06 signs that meet the standard. Bars are off limits 51% sign will be at the door, inside school buildings, buildings with court offices, prisons or jails.

Churches are ok, and unless a meeting is posted, generally government buildings are not allowed to place a 30.06 sign on it.

Your good to go in your car, whether it is on you or hidden with it loaded. Just remember if you do happen to get pulled over or asked for ID by a LEO, you are required to give them your carry license with your drivers license.

Just be aware that once you get here, you might not want to return to your state of Florida.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

farronwolf said it all, have a good trip
    EDC's Colt Defender 45 acp and S&W 442 .38
    Springfield XD 45 acp
    Ruger SR9
    Ruger Super RedHawk .44 mag
    mossberg 590 12 gauge tactical
    bushmaster AR15-M4

thanks guys you've been a great help.