Hospital Sign

Hospital Sign

This is a discussion on Hospital Sign within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yesterday I took my father to a major hospital in Little Rock. We entered via a handicap auto door into the main lobby, with me ...

Thread: Hospital Sign

Hospital Sign

Yesterday I took my father to a major hospital in Little Rock. We entered via a handicap auto door into the main lobby, with me pushing his wheel chair. Upon leaving six hrs later thru the same door, I noticed a "no ccw" sign on the main revolving door next to the door I had used. There was no sign other than auto-handicap on the door I had used and there were cameras on both doors. I was carrying two handguns in both front pocket's of my pants. I've had my ccw since 1997 and have always complyed with reg's. So, would I have had any legal defence with this situation? ( I didnt see any sign!)
    What you think you know.... Can kill you!

VIP Member
    this came from handgunlaw.us:

(19) (A) Any place at the discretion of the person or entity exercising control over the physical location of
    the place by placing at each entrance to the place a written notice clearly readable at a distance of not less
    than ten feet (10′) that “carrying a handgun is prohibited”.

(B) (i) If the place does not have a roadway entrance, there shall be a written notice placed
    anywhere upon the premises of the place.
    (ii) In addition to the requirement of subdivision (19)(B)(i) of this section, there shall be at least one
    (1) written notice posted within every three (3) acres of a place with no roadway entrance.
    (C) A written notice as described in subdivision (19)(A) of this section is not required for a private
    home.
    (D) Any licensee entering a private home shall notify the occupant that the licensee is carrying a
    concealed handgun.
    I would say it would depend on the placement of the sign, if it falls within the 10' rule you violated the rule.

If the sign said "no ccw" as opposed to "carrying a handgun is prohibited" then you were still good to go.

I believe in Arkansas the wording needs to be as the statute states inside the "s" as word in the post by archer51.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I work in a hospital with signs at all the doors that say "no weapons allowed"....as most public buildings in Oklahoma, statues require that the signs be posted for insurance purposes to protect the hospital or institution......you shouldn't have any problems as long as every thing is concealed......

Geez, it's different in virtually every state.

Fortunately, in COLO, signs mean nothing. You can't get into trouble unless you are personally asked to leave (and subsequently ignore that request) by a person in charge of the establishment.

Here we can carry in:

• Churches
    • Hospitals
    • Banks
    • Bars & Restaurants which serve alcohol - we can even drink there if we want
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

You should ask the people in charge of these buildings if they know criminals don't care about there signs. They need to wake up.
    Expecting a carjacker or rapist or drug pusher to care that his possession or use of a gun is unlawful is like expecting a terrorist to care that his car bomb is taking up two parking spaces.-Joseph T. Chew

The state laws are pretty clear about posted signs. They should follow the letter of the law to the 'tee' in my opinion, or they are null and void. Of course there may be some risk involved for the individual wishing to assert his or her rights under the laws and proving a point.
    (19) (A) Any place at the discretion of the person or entity exercising control over the physical location of the place by placing at each entrance to the place a written notice clearly readable at a distance of not less than ten (10) feet that “carrying a handgun is prohibited”.
    From the Arkansas State Police website: Arkansas State Police | Regulatory Services

didn't think you were allowed to carry in a hospital anyways
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."
    -Thomas Jefferson

2 Chronicles 7:14

Hospitals are not listed in Arkansas as being off limits. I don't know about other states.

If you are a concealed license holder, you should know the laws that govern your state. And, if you visit another state, you should know the laws of that state. While I'm new to this CHL thing (Texas) I know what to look for in Texas. I know what I'm allowed to do when I travel to other states. And I know which states have reciprocity with Texas. But, I also make a quick glance at the laws of the state that I'm going to be in. And, if there ever is a question about it, the gun stays in the car or at the hotel.

Texas legislature meets every two years on odd numbered years. I know that on those years, I better get on to the appropriate web site to look for any changes that could and would affect my carry. While I can't speak for Ark., Texas hospitals (and I work at one) have a tendency to post things like "the carry of a concealed handgun is prohibited on this property." According to Texas statute, the wording for such prohibition is very specific. (30.06 statute) If it isn't stated exactly, it don't mean squat. The only drawback to that is, as someone stated earlier, if I'm told by someone in charge that the gun isn't allowed, that's it, it's not allowed no matter what the wording on the door says.

Sponsored Links