Ooops! Where is my gun?

This is a discussion on Ooops! Where is my gun? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well; it finally happened! As I was reading this and not paying much attention until reading about the routine... then it dawned on me that ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ooops! Where is my gun?

Well; it finally happened! As I was reading this and not paying much attention until reading about the routine... then it dawned on me that I hadn't checked my side for awhile. Reached back and (Oh no, now where did I leave it). Thought the bathroom but no avail then just remembered leaving it in a lockbox in my truck as I was responding to the last call we had (Firefighter) and was at a "no-go" area. I routinely lock it up when responding to area's that are gun-free zones as LEO's are supposed to secure the scene as in this call (University). Wish there was a way around this dilema but I have to id the location of the call so I know when to disarm. Anyone know of any exemptions to the rules?

2. Remove Ads

I've "forgotten" before. But the opposite this last time. I was driving to town and was about 2/3's there when I thought, damn, I left the gun on the coffee table!

I turned around and drove back and looked all over for it. Couldn't find it. I then reached where my holster/gun are now located (switched to an SOB with a 38special and only been wearing it for about a week) and lo and behold, gun was right where it was supposed to be.

Felt like an idiot.

I stayed home, didn't feel like driving back to town.

Wayne

VIP Member
    OK, I confess. I left out this info when I described my burglary in December 04, because I felt like a total stupid-head, and there's that Mr. Murphy involved.

I had my S&W 640 out, but I decided to tote something else for a main and backup that Friday. That dropped me out of my routine. Instead of immediately locking it in the safe, I decided I was going to wait until I opened the safe later in the day when I'd pack up my range gear.

I shoved the 640 up under the bed pillow, which I tend to do with a gun when I'm around the house or in the shower and that gun is not on me. (I do that for whatever SHTF home scenario - I want to know where my guns are, but I don't want them to be plainly seen by any intruders, especially if I'm in the bathroom and don't hear them coming.)

I was busy packing for the weekend; I was going to visit my family who live 1.5 hours away. I packed my clothes, I packed my range bag...and I completely forgot the 640 I left under the pillow.

And that was the weekend my house was burglarized and totally ransacked like a tossed salad. They even trashed my bedroom and I could tell they lifted up the covers and the mattress, but they didn't find the 640 hiding under the pillow, which was a totally stupid and obvious place to put it. They were that close to finding it. I was that close to having my 640 tucked in some thug's waistband, to be used for some future crime or ending up in a pawnshop. I don't want to know, and it makes me sick in the stomach to think about it.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Nothing terribly dramatic for me. I have found myself walking around with an empty holster, especially after picking my daughter up (no carry in the day care). Makes me feel like a knucklehead when I do the "check" and there's nothing there!

For a week or two after a deployment or long training exercise I will unconciously check my nonexistent thigh rig. Feels funny without it strapped to my leg.
    "Speed is fine, but accuracy is final." - Bill Jordan

Since we are sharing. I went through the period of carrying the 1911 at night or whenever I rode into the city to visit the folks, so one night I cleaned my pistols and put the 1911 up. Well, in the process I forgot where I put my .38. Well this is not too bad since we dont have kids yet unless my first child on the way counts. Anyway the wife was at work and had about 5 more hours to go. I tore the place up. I almost freaked out. Well, I found it under my bed. Jeeez....that never has or will happend again.

What I learned was to always think(bringing back my military days) and keep it simple. Now regardless, my primary is the 38 with two speed strips and my knife. If I need more than that then I am truly in the wrong place or dreaming.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

VIP Member
    I now carry all waking hours (where permitted) but a couple of times I've left the house with out the gun (still locked and unloaded at home). Boy, I've felt totally nekkid!!

Red face

I use a Comptac CTAC IWB holster and it's great except for one thing... It feels exactly the same whether there is a gun in it or not.
    Just this morning I ALMOST walked out the door with an empty holster.

I normally count my guns before leaving the house to make sure they're where they need to be. One on me, one in the under the bed, etc. One day I came up one short, and spent a while trying to figure it out. The missing gun was my Glock (the only one I had), I traded it in earlier that day.

I've also "lost" my taurus M85 on a few occasoins.

I think my biggest bonehead move was leaving the house with my 5" kimber, and two spare magazines for my compact. It was noticed at the range, and I got two new wilson 47s while I was there, with a lot of teasing from the guys working there.

Zach, I understand. Since I picked up a G19, I'm worried about just that. Leaving the house with my 19 and the mags for my 26. I need to just standardize on the 19's mags since they will work in the 26.

Bent, I've felt the same way. When I went to the theater and dinner with my GF in NPEs, I felt naked. I did have 4 folders but bringing a knife to a gun fight isn't my idea of fun.
    Dave

“The highest obligation and privilege of citizenship is that of bearing arms”. General George Patton—US Army

Vis et Veneratio

"So this is how democracy dies: to thunderous applause." Actress Natalie Portman as Padme in Star Wars Revenge of the Sith

Boy, I've felt totally nekkid!!
    I feel the same when I go bar hopping.

I thought I lost a mag once, but it was left at home.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links