Wal Mart Experience

This is a discussion on Wal Mart Experience within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Have any of you had this experience? I was in one of my local Wal Marts yesterday. I was looking for some 9mm ammo. Of ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wal Mart Experience

Wal Mart Experience

Have any of you had this experience? I was in one of my local Wal Marts yesterday. I was looking for some 9mm ammo. Of course there was none to be found.

While I was making "small talk" with the associate another guy approached the ammunition counter. He proceeded to tell the associate he needed some rifle ammo that WAS in stock. Lucky him!

The WM associate requested to see his legal identification. When asked why the associate advised the man that it was policy to provide this prior to buying ammo.

Once the man provided the WM associate his Nevada driver's license he was asked to provide the following information. He did so very reluctantly.

(1) How long have you lived at this address?
    (2) How long have you lived in Las Vegas, Nevada?

The entire time the WM associate was entering this information into a notebook computer! What the heck is this all about??? Is this another way of tracking who is buying ammunition?

At this point I walked away at the personal questions that was being required to just purchase ammunition.

Long story short, I just left the WM website requesting the reason for this procedure. I sent the corporate customer service representatives the legal right for asking such personal questions when buying ammunition from WM.

Have any of you had this same experience? Have any of you been required to provide a legal ID when buying ammo from WM?
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

2. Remove Ads

I forgot to mention one aspect of this incident. The guy buying the rifle ammunition was around 60-65 years old. There was not an issue of being underage here! That is a factor to take into consideration.
    Glock 26

No, not in Georgia, Louisiana, Ark, Fl, Tex, or Wa. I'm a Ga resident andhave heard of WM asking for that info, but never hadit happen to me.

Possiably a State or Local Law requirement?
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I hope that is the case. I requested to know the precise NRS (Nevada Revised Statute) in my email to WM corp. I will keep you updated as to what they tell me when they reply to my email.
    Glock 26

This is the first I have heard of anything like that. I wonder if they ask the for the same info when buying baseball bats, tire irons, or butcher knives.

Let us know if you get a response from corporate.
    Springfeld XD (m) .40 S&W
    Why argue with the 9mm vs. .45 issue? Carry the best of both worlds with some 40 cal !

Stay safe out there - the Constitution needs you!

I will keep all of you updated as to when & if I get a reply from WM corporate.
    Glock 26

This seems very odd to me. Personally I think the WM employee may have been running some kind of scam or something trying to steal identities. Was it a WM notebook? Seems odd WM would have a notebook while they have registers. Only time I get carded is when I am freshly shaved because I look younger than 21 at times. Never been carded buying rifle ammo... only handgun ammo.
    AT3 (O-Level) United States Navy - NRA Life Member
    "Molan labe! Just try... I'll show you the strength of my conviction... and I'll sleep well that night..."

This notebook was readily acceptable at the ammunition counter. It was "hard wired" to some type of network within the store. I recall seeing a power cord & network cable connected. As to if it was a WM notebook, it was a normal notebook computer. Will tell you more as this story develops!
    Glock 26

Quote Originally Posted by Pikachu711 View Post
    It was "hard wired" to some type of network within the store. I recall seeing a power cord & network cable connected.
    It is very easy to plug in an Ethernet cable. I could walk into the local WM and probably plug in and "hack" into their internet, not as hard as it sounds. Perhaps he was sending information to his home computer or something. Not trying to bust your balls or anything. This just seems very irregular to me and I think you did the right thing walking away. If they did this to me I would walk away and never come back. I would probably find the store manager and give him my 2 cents as well.
    AT3 (O-Level) United States Navy - NRA Life Member
    "Molan labe! Just try... I'll show you the strength of my conviction... and I'll sleep well that night..."

That's why I decided to contact corporate first. I want to start from the "top down!" I don't want to assume that this decision to "track" who's buying what ammunition. I'm assuming in this corporate environment that there is a valid reason from their point of view.

If I get an email response that it's a "corporate policy" type email reply with NO NRS (Nevada Revised Statute) with this new policy I'm finished shopping for ammunition at WM. I'm not going to allow my ammo purchases to be tracked by WM!
    Last edited by Pikachu711; March 27th, 2009 at 07:08 AM. Reason: spelling
    Glock 26

thanks for keeping us updated...

VIP Member
    I wonder if the same thing is going on in a different WM in the same city?

It'll be interesting to hear corporate's response. Thanks for posting.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I may try buying some other ammunition later today as a test. If I'm still required to provide my legal ID I'll let you know later.
    Glock 26

I've never experienced any of the things cited here or on other boards about WM. Without specifics let's just say I've bought all the ammo I wanted to buy in rifle and handgun rounds over the last six months. As recently as a week ago.

I've never been asked for ID or asked any questions for that matter, my WM folk don't talk alot.

If I were asked for ID, I'd ask to see a manager, I'd ask to see the policy in writing and request a copy. If they balked on my request I'd leave and decide if it meant enough to me to investigate the legality of the request with my resources.

Every state is different but in TN they ask nothing and have plenty of stock all the time. I buy, .223, .40, and 9mm
    Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. TR

The WM associate requested to see his legal identification. When asked why the associate advised the man that it was policy to provide this prior to buying ammo.

Once the man provided the WM associate his Nevada driver's license he was asked to provide the following information. He did so very reluctantly.

(1) How long have you lived at this address?
    (2) How long have you lived in Las Vegas, Nevada?
    Things that make you go hmmmmmm. I believe I would have asked for a copy of the "policy" or at least had this "associate" call the manager and have them do it.

Or be real sarcastic and ask the WM associate how long he's been selling ammo and have HIM provide identification, because it's MY policy.

I haven't been asked for ID, yet. WM never has the kind of ammo I want anyhow, and Dick's Sporting Goods where I live, just handed the box of 9mm over to me without a second glance. This does sound a bit fishy. Keep us posted.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links