CCW in New Mexico

CCW in New Mexico

This is a discussion on CCW in New Mexico within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Been 30 days since putting in my paperwork for my permit and I'm wondering how many of you out there have your NM permit and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CCW in New Mexico

CCW in New Mexico

Been 30 days since putting in my paperwork for my permit and I'm wondering how many of you out there have your NM permit and how long did it take and how long have you had it?

Man... I'm jones'n here.
    Jeff
    NRA Member
    Kimber Ultra Carry II, Glock G23 & G36, Kahr PM9, Winchester 1300 Defender 12gauge pump
    (my favorite but hard to hide)

applied early jun-08, received mid sep-08

I'm here in Colorado. Before the election, probably back in 2003 actually. My buddy got his in 2 weeks. When I applied they told me the volume of people applying was so high it could take up to 90 days.
    AT3 (O-Level) United States Navy - NRA Life Member
    "Molan labe! Just try... I'll show you the strength of my conviction... and I'll sleep well that night..."

Quote Originally Posted by johnsonabq View Post
    Been 30 days since putting in my paperwork for my permit and I'm wondering how many of you out there have your NM permit and how long did it take and how long have you had it?

Man... I'm jones'n here.
    I'm a little off-topic, but does NM law still limit you to 1 CCW weapon on your body?

I read that part of the law last year, but I didn't save the reference. It was buried in the reading and wasn't easy for me to find it.

Were you required to have a class? If so, did they cover that aspect?

VIP Member
    I will be driving through NM in about a week. I am a resident of Louisiana, but I have a FLA permit (it has reciprocity with more states). Regarding my trip I checked with some websites and NM does not have reciprocity with LA, but they do with FLA, so it looks like I'm okay?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    I'm a little off-topic, but does NM law still limit you to 1 CCW weapon on your body?

I read that part of the law last year, but I didn't save the reference. It was buried in the reading and wasn't easy for me to find it.

Were you required to have a class? If so, did they cover that aspect?
    That's right Grady. Only one concealed gun at a time. No BUGS. 15 hours of instruction required and you need to qualify on the range in order to determine what guns you can carry. SemiAuto/Revolver and you can only carry the caliber you shot or smaller. I qualified with my Glock .45 and Taurus .357. Funny thing, I shot .38spl through the Taurus and that was OK. Even though the .357mag and .38spl are the same diamater bullet, the law "sees" the .38 as a larger caliber and need to qualify with that. Go figure!?!
    Jeff
    NRA Member
    Kimber Ultra Carry II, Glock G23 & G36, Kahr PM9, Winchester 1300 Defender 12gauge pump

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    I will be driving through NM in about a week. I am a resident of Louisiana, but I have a FLA permit (it has reciprocity with more states). Regarding my trip I checked with some websites and NM does not have reciprocity with LA, but they do with FLA, so it looks like I'm okay?
    You're good to go as I see it. As far as your car is concerned you don't even need a permit and we are open carry.
    Jeff
    NRA Member

bump
    Jeff
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnsonabq View Post

Man... I'm jones'n here.
    Last I heard they were expecting about 90 days. Don't be surprised if it is even longer.

Yes you can carry agun in your car concealed or unconcealed and loaded or unloaded. Once you get out of your car it is another story, but NM is an OC state. Realize, however, that you cannot OC in any place that sells alcohol, including the quick stop gas stations if you go inside or Walmarts or such places. It is OK CC.

Regards,
    Jerry

Yeah, 90 days is the standard response. I was just hoping for some real life numbers from people who've received their CWP in the last 6-9 months.
    Jeff
    NRA Member

Post Nm ccw

I've had mine since 2004. It took more than the 90 days it was supposed to take.

NM honors non-resident licenses from several states. Check with Handgunlaw.us for which states are allowed.

Nm is an open carry state and you can carry in you vehicle without a CCW if necessary.

BUG's are still not allowed, unfortunately.

Enjoy your visit!

The Second Amendment is NOT about hunting!

Bump
    Jeff
    NRA Member

Hey johnsonabq,

Just wanted to give you some real time information. I took my CCW class on 2/14/09 and sent off my fingerprints and other info on 2/23/09. I have been checking the mail everday since then (also waiting on my beltman belt, should be here today hopefully) and yesterday 4/11/09 there was my permit in the mailbox.

I actually carried yesterday evening after we got done putting in our paver patio. We had to run into town, so I wore it to Church's Chicken, then over to Wal-mart. No ammo there though (wal-mart).

Good luck on your wait. At least it is not taking the 90 days.

took 90 days on the nose when I got mine 3 years ago.

I kind of got the feeling they waited the whole 90 days on purpose.

Getting the two years was easy though........just went to Calibers and shot paper......they handled all the PW.

62 days for me a year & a half ago.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links