How do you carry with your child around?

This is a discussion on How do you carry with your child around? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had an incident the other day when my five year old son went to head butt (maybe just leaning) my waist and his head ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do you carry with your child around?

How do you carry with your child around?

I had an incident the other day when my five year old son went to head butt (maybe just leaning) my waist and his head hit the butt of my pistol. He asked what I had under there and I simply told him it was my cell phone. I do NOT want him to know what it is, since he is do young to understand the value of silence. Just curious if any other parents have run into this.
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

My 4 and 8 year olds now i carry i usually open carry owb in the evening. Personally i didn't want to hide it from then and we have worked hard teaching them what it is all about. Neither of them have ever talked about Mommy's or Daddy's gun.

I think they just see it as normal it really isn't any big deal to them.

Quote Originally Posted by halfcrazy View Post
    My 4 and 8 year olds now i carry i usually open carry owb in the evening. Personally i didn't want to hide it from then and we have worked hard teaching them what it is all about. Neither of them have ever talked about Mommy's or Daddy's gun.

I think they just see it as normal it really isn't any big deal to them.
    Exact same here for me and my 10 year old and 4 year old Daughter, they think its all normal.

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    I saw the same thing happen to a little guy at church, he put a hand on his head, dad gave him a look and the little guy said sorry.

As I watched the interchange I concluded that the son knew his dad had gun under his jacket.

I know the dad carries because I have seen the print, I believe he carries a full size 1911. He wears light weight light color sport coats often. I recommend dark colors seems like they hide the shape better. I know a little off topic.

Everyone is different, but I recommend you have a discussion with the kids and they understand no one is to know under any circumstances that you carry.

The safest place to have a gun around children is on your waist IMHO
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    ----------------------------------
    "Let a man never stir on his road a step
    without his weapons of war;
    for unsure is the knowing when need shall arise
    of a spear on the way without."

I carry at 4 O' Clock in my IWB SuperTuck. My 2 oldest know I carry (12 adn 9 yo) and my 2 youngest don't yet (6 and 4 yo).
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

VIP Member
    I carry as I normally do, but I'm a cop, my son knows I carry all the time 24/7, BUT before I was LEO I didn't hide it from him, I didn't worry about it. I'm gonna teach him that he doesn't need to tell people that I'm a cop, or carry a gun all the time, etc. Its something we should all tell our kids...its just something they need to keep secret.

I understand keeping it from the kid, don't want him to talk about it out in public letting everyone know you're carrying

might want to holster up in private and keep doing what you're doing keeping it quiet if you think they don't need to know yet

good move on saying it was your cell phone, I had my HK in a smartcarry at church one time and a kid came running up to me and head butted the slide, bounced off rubbing his head but didn't say anything, gotta stay on your toes!
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

VIP Member
    I don't have young kids, so don't have the problem. If your son is 5 years old he is old enough for you to begin teaching what to do if he encounters a gun, whether it be yours or someone else. I'd recommend the NRA Eddie Eagle program. Depending on his maturity level you can also explain to him, that like the policeman, Daddy wants to keep him safe and that is a tool to help do it. Let him know that some things are only for him and Daddy to know.

My 5 and 12 yr old know. They know the value of silence and why we don't tell anybody about me carrying. They also know what to do if they ever encounter a firearm. I purposely left a "gun shaped" lighter (child-proof!) out on the front porch where my five year old and her friend would find it. She grabbed her friends hand to keep her from touching it and came running to tell me there was a gun on the porch. I'm so proud of her!
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

No, I haven't crossed that bridge but I think you did the right thing.
    Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. TR

I chose early on to not lie to my kids about anything, but instead to teach them about the seriousness of how to keep a secret. (I knew it was dangerous, but that was my method of choice.)
    It is based on my memories of when I was young and being told things that I later learned was not true, and wondered why my parents did not think I could have understood.
    Anyhow, I made sure my kids knew when they were young that I carried, why I carried, and the importance of keeping that a family secret.
    Now that my kids are older and know how to handle guns and shoot, it's all good.
    That's my 2 cents.
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

My 4yo grandson is a gun nut already but I go out of my may to keep him from knowing I carry...IMO, he's too young & immature to know about grandpa's gun.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Both my kids know I carry. Son, 14 always forgets when he hugs me and he squeezes me with the weapon between us, then he realizes and loosens up. Daughter, 16 knows but probably forgets more than she remembers.

If you don't make a big deal out of it, I don't think the kids will either. It's like having your wallet on you. It's just there.

I have an 8 year old daughter. I started teaching her early. She went with me at three years old into the woods, hunting. She is always asking to go now. I started carrying about two years ago. As soon as I did, I showed her what I had, and where and why I was going to carry it. One time only, she said something about it. We were on our way out the door, and she asked if I had it. I told her yes. That was it. I carry it right out in the open in and around the house. She is so completely desensitized to it, she has never mentioned another word. She shoots her own .22 now. I think being open and honest about it, and teaching kids what they are, what they are for, and what they can/will do is the best thing you can do for them. Education is by far the best and only effective gun control.

kpw
    My kids would probably think it was odd that the other dads didn't carry. There has been a gun on my hip longer than I've had kids. They pay about as much attention to it as the shoes I'm wearing.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links