Restaurant deliveries...

Restaurant deliveries...

This is a discussion on Restaurant deliveries... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; One of the reasons I'm getting my CCW permit is because I work for a small outfit, delivering produce to restaurants. My boss still has ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Restaurant deliveries...

Restaurant deliveries...

One of the reasons I'm getting my CCW permit is because I work for a small outfit, delivering produce to restaurants.
    My boss still has me do something that probably shouldn't be done this way... I collect from those that want to pay me rather than do it by mail, etc.
    Some pay each time & some make 6 or 8 (or more) payments at a time.
    Some pay by check, some pay cash.

Sometimes I end up carrying quite a bit of cash... behind buildings & in alleys.

Some of the guys (like in the mexican restaurants) are pretty rough in character.

I've taken the CCW class & applied, but it will probably be about the 1st of June before getting the permit.
    Even though I understood the law about carrying in a place were "alcohol is both sold & consumed", I only recently begin to wonder about carrying on my job.

Mostly I'm in the kitchen, but sometimes I go out front to collect.

No doubt I would technically be in violation of the law, even in the kitchen, much more so the front, but I wonder if there would be any understanding of my situation among LEOs?

I've been busy lately & haven't herd what became of the attempt to change laws about concealed carry in places that serve alcohol.

Stay armed...get training...keep eyes in the back of your head...stay safe!

(From what you are telling us about your job, the LEO's are the least of your worries.)
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    No doubt I would technically be in violation of the law, even in the kitchen, much more so the front, but I wonder if there would be any understanding of my situation among LEOs?
    Nothing technical about it, if you carry you are in violation of the law.
    I'm sure you will find probably some officers that will take it into consideration, but are you willing to lose your permit if you run across one who isn't?

You need to sit down with your boss and discuss it. Tell him your safety concerns and you don't feel comfortable carrying large amounts of cash. He needs to either collect the money himself, or tell the customers they need to mail their payments in.

You are working in the business not there for social reasons. Same as the Brinks guys. Carry.

Semper Fi

Have your boss state that it is a part of your work attire and a company policy that you carry.

You are there for business and not social reasons.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

jfl
    Worse case scenario, you'll lose your CCW; much better than losing your life.
    I don't know about your state; some have provisions for people who work with the business.
    You could also get a security guard permit, if you really want to cover all bases.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Quote Originally Posted by jfl View Post
    You could also get a security guard permit, if you really want to cover all bases.
    Good call!
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Some very good suggestions here. If it were me, I would carry, and make sure that the gun, while accessible, is well concealed. I have no intention of protecting the cash- I'll give that up in a heartbeat. But I have a much different attitude toward my life. Carry, and keep your weapon concealed. I would much rather take a chance on losing my CCW than losing my life. And. given the nature of the reason that you're in the restaurant in the first place may just make a difference. But at least you'll still be around to argue the point.

applying for permit.

good for you for applying for your permit. here's an early congrads to ya. stay safe out there.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

njr
    Like other posters have written, I would think that you'd be okay, on the clock, carrying for work.

Even here in Chicago, drivers can CC on duty. If a driver works delivery at a restaurant, they should be okay, even if the restaurant sells alcohol. Doesn't your state have the 50%+ sales rule?

To be safe, it would probably be a good idea to have your boss get a written opinion from a lawyer.
    By the forests, behind the guns/In the streets and in the houses/Between the tanks, by the roadside/At the hands of the men, of the women, of the children/In the cold, in the dark, in hunger....

Bertolt Brecht, "To The German Soldiers In The East", stanza 9.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by njr View Post
    Like other posters have written, I would think that you'd be okay, on the clock, carrying for work.

Even here in Chicago, drivers can CC on duty. If a driver works delivery at a restaurant, they should be okay, even if the restaurant sells alcohol. Doesn't your state have the 50%+ sales rule?

To be safe, it would probably be a good idea to have your boss get a written opinion from a lawyer.
    How do they manage to do that, since IL does not allow conceal carry?

Good suggestions. I do feel that under the circumstances, I'm better off keeping my protection & keeping it well concealed.
    I don't think my boss will be of much help in making changes w/ the payment arrangements, etc, but I'll give that some thought & maybe talk to him about it.
    I'll look into the possibility (pros & cons) of getting a security guard license too.
    I'm not familiar w/ the the "50%+ sales rule"? I'll have to look into that too.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    How do they manage to do that, since IL does not allow conceal carry?
    I started to ask the same, but you beat me to it. Illinois is one of the worst when it comes to these laws, and Chicago is the worst in the state.

I'm a driver in MO, 10 miles from IL, and that is the reason I normally won't carry at work. Never know when I'll end up behind communist lines.

Roger

In NM, if my memory serves, it is a 4th degree felony to carry in any establishment where alcohol is served for consumption on the premises. That is a bad consequence.
    Not worth it even if one does not worry about the ethics.

Regards,
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by njr View Post
    And the winner is...
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links