Stereotypes against me (Permit holder)

This is a discussion on Stereotypes against me (Permit holder) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; USMC3169 You are right, I will take those personality classes and wish I can take your wife's because you seem to be educated in foreign ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stereotypes against me (Permit holder)

USMC3169 You are right, I will take those personality classes and wish I can take your wife's because you seem to be educated in foreign language interpretation. I have noticed in my life numerous times that when I translate something from Somali to English it was not best to do so.

Edited because I've received enough responses and understood things more.
    Last edited by mnconceal; March 29th, 2009 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Received enough responses.

Dont know what to say. With out being able to hear the tones being use in the conversations, what you posted reads like a cultural misunderstanding. When the guys said to you "You look reeaally eager for it", I interpret that as "wow we have an very excited customer". When the next words out appear to be conflictive in nature "You dont know me" I would imagine I would have a hard time selling a gun to some one that comes off as combative. Like I said it is hard to understand what happened without actually seeing/hearing what was going on.

On a side note, If you are planning on becoming a police officer, then plan on getting A LOT of racist comments, plan on it daily. Ufortunately that is what alot of people degenerate to when they are upset.

Good luck with the Degree and dont give that store any more of your business. Racism has no place in society today.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Quote Originally Posted by usmc3169 View Post
    Good luck with the Degree and dont give that store any more of your business. Racism has no place in society today.
    I agree with this part.
    Don't give them anymore business, make sure all your friends don't give them anymore of their business. If there is such a thing as Karma then pretty soon they will have a going out of business sale. Then you should shop there for some great deals!
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

A year earlier when I first went to frontiersman they didn't call me for a month and when I called them I got the shock of my life. The guy said "They are coming to get you they know what you did" and I said "Who is? who is?" he then said over the phone "The FEDS" and I told him, that is impossible, I just got my conceal carry permit from the Sheriff's a week ago and they do thorough background check and he said "The sheriff's isn't the same as the FEDS"

I drove down there and he gave me a NICS phone number to call and a reference number and then NICS mailed me fingerprint cards to get fingerprinted because I matched someone else in there system.
    Last edited by mnconceal; March 29th, 2009 at 08:47 AM.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    It seems weird to me that you have done business with them in past and all of a sudden they are treating you like crap. I have been to several gun stores in my area that were reluctant to help me just because I look like I belong in High School and not at a gun store at 10AM on a Monday morning. I have had gun store clerks flat out ignore me and help customers that walk in AFTER I been standing there for fifteen minutes. I would rather pay a little bit more at a gun store where I am treated with respect and courtesy than a gun store with lower prices and service that I am not happy with.

I think its time you find another gun store to do business with, but that is my opinion.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

"I told him I have the right to do so and I've taken bigger lossses in the past and if it helps you, a few blocks away is Metro Pawn and Gun that will buy my gun."

This once again sounds combative - It probably was not meant to be, but it comes across that way. In your shoes I would hire a tutor to go over conversational skills.

My wife does that for business people coming in from different countries where they may not realize that the way they are putting their sentences together may be considered politically incorrect or socially insulting. Most of the people she works with are very intelligent proffesionals who know from experience that dealing with people who's first language is different from your own can lead to embarassing verbal misteps.

My opinion, and once again it is difficult to get a good picture of what happeend with out actually having been there.

While I don't live in the metro area, twice I've been in Bill's in Robbinsdale. I'm a 60 year old white guy, look professional in my dress and grooming, and both times I was subject to bad treatment.

The first time, I was pretty much ignored, in spite of the fact that I was in there with a strong possibility of buying a Beretta. Left disappointed in the lack of service.

The next time I stopped when I was in the area, wanting to buy some carry ammo for a .38 snubby. What I got was some old guy acting macho and telling me all kinds of "war stories" about ballistics of gunshot wounds, blah blah blah. Absolutely no interest in my needs, but just an opportunity for him to expound on all of his experiences and how bright he was. Unfortunately my wife was really soured by the experience, and it was increased her resistance to ever step into a gun shop.

I'd describe the overall climate at Bill's to be "non customer oriented"--they seem to think they are "God's gift to the shooting public" when in fact they regularly turn folks off with their attitude.

I'd not go back there again for any reason would recommend the same to others!
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Hmm sounds like this particular gunshop is the lower 48 equivalant of Wild West Guns up here in AK. WWG is the last place in town I would spend any money - they are staffed by a couple of bad eggs who ruin the shop for every one else.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mnconceal View Post
    I think there is good reason to believe that Bill's Gun shop and range has racially profiled me and refused to sell me a gun even though they did not openly admit to refusing me. Here is what happened. I walked into the gun store and I've been to many in the past and bought many with my permit to carry. Even though I am a student studying criminal justice in order to become a police officer I believe because I was black/Somalian I sensed some injustice done against me. When I told the guy at the front "what is the price of this one" he said "You look reeaally eager for it" and I told him "Excuse me? you don't know me" and then the former military guy came from the back and the guy at the front register told the other guy "I can't find the serial number, that means we can't sell it right?" and the other guy didn't say anything but didn't speak to me either or greet me which shows that he wasn't all too happy about trying to sell me a firearm. The one at the register finally said I found it after he called his manager and then I heard him calling to do a NICS check but I highly doubt it was a real call because I ended up waiting over a month and when I called Bills Gun shop and range and told them my name and why I haven't heard back because I've always heard back or was called and this never happened. I heard a voice in the background saying "Noppe" very loudly after the guy on the phone mentioned my name to him.

This is a weird situation because when I was physically at the store when the guy got done doing the NICS check and told me additional checks are required and you will be called, he asked me if I wanted to make a deposit or else someone else may buy it. I told him "No thanks, I can always find another one any place".

Before I left He was speaking to 2 other persons and he was mentioning the carry permit he and I have. Somehow conversation went to Wisconsin and he told us there is no Carry Permit or Permit to Purchase firearms in Wisconsin, and I asked him what about armed guards like Wackenhut which I work for and he said "There is no armed guards" and I don't know if that is true because I am pretty sure companies like Dunbar and Garda have to be armed to delivery cash.

A week later I went to Frontiersman and bought myself a nice Kel-Tec P3AT and I was approved on the same spot without waiting for a call.
    I suppose if you have a beef, take it up with the Justice department rather the the gun shop.

If you are as you say, studying criminal justice you will notice that by law, firearms dealers can and will refuse sales based on your ID's. credit or any number of other problems. This is no different than a bar owner who tells you he will not sell you liqueur and will not serve you, that is his choice.

You can play the race card if you want to press the issue.
    Understand though that the store owner that sells you a gun is completely liable for his actions and is bound by federal law to uphold what he is licensed for.

If you do not present proper credentials, I would not not sell to you either.

Security guard means nothing, in fact sounds like wannabee. Unless your are a LEO it is probably best not to mention it at all.

Since 1911, things are much different in this country.That is just the way it is.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

since when has a gun dealer ran a credit check??/\ that is absurd

To the Op sorry you feel discriminated against :( Show support with your dollars ;) buy somewhere else pay for the proper treatment and dignity, to the seller of the first forget them.
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

I've been in gun shops twice when owners made "excuses" not to sell a gun. Both times to white guys who were acting a bit funny. The shop owners may just be being cautious and not pulling the race card on you. If you aren't comfortable in that shop, vote with your wallet and do business elsewhere.

I've had problems after they look at the paper work and see that I was born in Guam. Some ignorant salesmen don't know that it's part of the U.S. and wanted me to check the "foreign country" box on the form. I can only imagine what people born in the Virgin Islands or Puerto Rico must go through.
    Eat a moose... 50,000 wolves can't be wrong.

Let it go...shop somewhere else...money talks!

You will never erase stupidity in our society, so move on...if there is a problem with your race, make it their problem, no yours.

Stay armed...stand tall, at times you have to give people the respect they do not deserve...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I've posted about this before, but every once in a while you're going run into a gun-store employee who's not very good with people. Was he a racist? Maybe. However, even a racist can be a good salesman. He could just be a guy on a power trip.
    Yes, the world has gotten smaller, but it will always be too big to be ruled by unelected bureaucrats.

Quote Originally Posted by usmc3169 View Post
    On a side note, If you are planning on becoming a police officer, then plan on getting A LOT of racist comments, plan on it daily. Ufortunately that is what alot of people degenerate to when they are upset.
    Very true, the comments are not restricted to race either. You will no doubt get a barrage of insults that will make the gun salesman seem like a saint. You will need a thicker skin no matter what color that skin is.

I would just go to another gun shop and not give them a penny of my money. Good luck
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links