Off to the gym and some weight training

This is a discussion on Off to the gym and some weight training within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay......so......say you're off to the gym in your sweat pants and skimpy t-shirt to do some weight lifting and such. Any of you do this? ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Off to the gym and some weight training

Okay......so......say you're off to the gym in your sweat pants and skimpy t-shirt to do some weight lifting and such. Any of you do this? What sort of holster/carry options you all have for this? SmartCarry immediately comes to my mind, but I'd like your opinions. I'll be doing this in the next week or so. P.S. anyone who would like to part with a right handed SmartCarry for a G27 let me know.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Not sure what you are getting at...working out while carrying??? Don't think LEOs even do this...lots of issues I see...least of all, weapon security.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    Not sure what you are getting at...working out while carrying??? Don't think LEOs even do this...lots of issues I see...least of all, weapon security.

Rick
    Actually carrying while working out. In sweat pants and a skimpy old t-shirt. I have access to the gym until 10pm at the apartment complex clubhouse. Weapon security? It's going to be on me. This would probably be close to jogging while carrying in the appropriate attire.

I used to just leave my weapon in my car when I go to the gym, but there have been several break-in in the parking lot so I just dont take it any more
    EDC's Colt Defender 45 acp and S&W 442 .38
    Springfield XD 45 acp
    Ruger SR9
    Ruger Super RedHawk .44 mag
    mossberg 590 12 gauge tactical
    bushmaster AR15-M4

Rick
    I know many people that carry while working out.

When my P3AT returns from Kel-Tec, I will be putting a belt clip on it and clipping it to a belly band.

When I carry at the gym, it's my P3AT pocket. anything on or in the waistband will show as the shirt rides up regularly enough. I actually have a smartcarry that 've never used and haven't gotten around to listing for sale...my xd9sc doesn't quite fit (trigger guard exposed)...how big is the '27?
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BeefyBeefo View Post
    I know many people that carry while working out.

When my P3AT returns from Kel-Tec, I will be putting a belt clip on it and clipping it to a belly band.
    I guess it depends on what kind of workout...riding the bike, eliptical training, rowing...I could see carry ease. Weight training, sit-ups, stretches etc. are not ones that I would put in that category.

Rick

VIP Member
    Yeah, this is one of those occasions where I simply don’t carry. Your physical movements are more likely to print or display in a threat level that may be quite low. Still, to each their own.

BTW: Is Thunder Ware the same as SmartCarry? I ask because I ordered a TW version for my P7.

P.S. Ok, after reading some more current posts, I guess it's a different company but they sure do look the same with color/fabric being the same and all. Anywho, I’ll post a review once I try it out. I will say that I was surprised by the recommended size for my gun and waist. i.e. large pocket with small waist. Oh well…
    Regards,

I guess it depends on what kind of workout...riding the bike, eliptical training, rowing...I could see carry ease. Weight training, sit-ups, stretches etc. are not ones that I would put in that category.

Rick
    Cardio and weight workouts, just to clarify. As mentioned above, to each their own.

A KelTec .380 in a Fist #5 kydex pocket holster gives you something to rely upon and fits flush againt the leg in regular shorts...or...the little NAA Mini .22LR in a rawhide holster is easily tucked into my gym shorts and 'stays'. Something is better than anything left at home or in the car.

Now anything bigger is gonna' be a problem. Now in fairness, I've yet to read about a BG going into the gym to rob weightlifters, but I'm sure it's been done.

Anyway Ram Rod, with your 'serious, and nasty look', I'm not sure that a predator would pick you out of the pack for attackin'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I leave it in the gym bag and always keep it close.

VIP Member
    depending on what you're carrying, and if you're wearing long sweatpants or sweatshorts....I'd suggest ankle carry. The elastic at the bottom of the leg will keep the pants below the gun/holster. It shouldn't give you any problems for your workout either.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

If you are going to the gym for a real work out and not the social worl out then leave it home or locked in the car!

Come on squats, leg press, rows, ect would not work!

Glad to see people going to the gym!
    NRA Member GOAL Member
    Glock 26
    Glock 27
    Sig Sauer 226
    Beretta 21 .25
    S&W1911

I'd think if you are wearing sweatpants, ankle carry would be your best option if you have to be armed.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

I think you're on the right track with SmartCarry. There is very little in the way of a workout that I cannot do while wearing the SC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links