Going to MI - Page 2

Going to MI

This is a discussion on Going to MI within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thanks for all the input guys. I knew you would help me out....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Going to MI

Thanks

Thanks for all the input guys. I knew you would help me out.

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    ecbaatz,
    I quickly skimmed through your post #12 and I believe that it is directed at reserve LEO's not CPL holders.

I am about 98% sure you can not carry open or concealed at schools, colleges, etc.
    Remember colleges like UofM MSU etc make their own rules/laws, so I am requesting you rethink carrying at any of the above mentioned places.

There is a forum that is strictly OC I think it is (open carry.org) or similar, you should check that site for the info.

I am not a lawyer so this info I am posting is worth what you paid for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Trucker View Post
    ecbaatz,
    I quickly skimmed through your post #12 and I believe that it is directed at reserve LEO's not CPL holders.

I am about 98% sure you can not carry open or concealed at schools, colleges, etc.
    Remember colleges like UofM MSU etc make their own rules/laws, so I am requesting you rethink carrying at any of the above mentioned places.

There is a forum that is strictly OC I think it is (open carry.org) or similar, you should check that site for the info.

Yes I have been looking at that site as well as MCRGO and am looking at posting my question there as they do have some lawyers as members. Trust me I do not intend to be a test case. I just will do my best not to go to those places although church is hard when your mother expects you to go (when I am visiting her). Luckily I live just north of the Indiana Michigan state line so go to church in IN and carry of course.
    Eric

EM1(SS) Retired

For freedom is never free someone else just picks up tab.

Kimber Custom II
    Kimber Eclips Pro II
    Marlin Camp Rifle .45acp

A 9mm may expand but a .45acp won't shrink

Remember there are only two types of Ships in the Navy, SUBMARINES and Targets!

ecbaatz,

If you have your CPL, you may openly carry anywhere in the state, except federal buildings and courtrooms.

UofM and MSU have their own academic sanctions against carry, but these are different from misdemeanors and felonies.

Reread post 12:

It is my opinion, therefore, that a uniformed reserve police officer acting as an unpaid volunteer for a local police agency may carry an exposed, holstered pistol within the gun-free zones established by the Concealed Pistol Licensing Act; and if the officer is either a fully authorized "peace officer" or, alternatively, possesses a valid concealed pistol license issued under the Concealed Pistol Licensing Act, he or she may also carry an exposed, holstered pistol within the gun-free zones established by the Michigan Penal Code.

A huge word of caution for your travels. Don't worry about Detroit, Grand Rapids has it's not so nice areas BUT here is where you need to watch out!...

If you travel West of G.R. into Grandville, Jenison, Zeeland and then Holland you really have to watch your wallet! You see, the closer to Holland you get the more Dutchmen you will encounter and it has been know to happen that our tightfistedness can actually suck the money right out of your wallet and into our pockets where the money will live to a ripe old age and only be threatened to be taken out under the diress of a good deal but only AFTER we beat you to death on price!

Seriously though...enjoy GR and come visit the lakeshore (Michigan), it is beautifull here!
    Pray for our nations leaders!

Quote Originally Posted by zigziggityzo View Post
    If you have your CPL, you may openly carry anywhere in the state, except federal buildings and courtrooms.

UofM and MSU have their own academic sanctions against carry, but these are different from misdemeanors and felonies.

Reread post 12:
    Really? So I can open carry in a school, hospital, Ford Field etc?

Quote Originally Posted by ecbaatz View Post
    Yes I have been looking at that site as well as MCRGO and am looking at posting my question there as they do have some lawyers as members. Trust me I do not intend to be a test case. I just will do my best not to go to those places although church is hard when your mother expects you to go (when I am visiting her). Luckily I live just north of the Indiana Michigan state line so go to church in IN and carry of course.

MCRGO has a forum? How do you access it?
    I haven't looked at the open carry forum yet myself.

Not any more they closed it down a number of years back, due to political infighting issues... However MGO is a very good Michigan gun owners forum..
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Really? So I can open carry in a school, hospital, Ford Field etc?
    Openly, yes, if you have your CPL.

Be aware that on private property, you agree to their rules as a condition of being present on their property. This means that they can ask you to leave at any time for any reason. Failure to comply will result in a trespass charge.

Places like Ford Field have security that will check you at the entrance, and will ask you to disarm before entering the premises. If you don't, you're trespassing. (In short: Open Carry is legal in the eyes of the law, but the property owner doesn't allow it)

Ford Field is owned publicly, as in, Detroit/Wayne County Stadium Authority owns it. Legally speaking, they cannot disallow patrons to carry on the property, as MCL 123.1102 preempts ALL local forms of gov't from regulating the transportation and carriage of firearms. If I were their lawyer, I'd say that the owner is renting the facility to a private patron (NFL, trade show, concert holder, etc), and as such, they control the property, and can disallow firearms while they are in possession of the property.

I'm not a lawyer. I just talk out my hind-end about gun laws. This advice is worth what you paid for it.

No forum as stated but in the members only area have a contact form to help with legal matters. I want to get a lawyers opinion on open carry in gun free zones. I think from what I have read it is correct but I still do not want to be a test case and sometimes the law does not have common sense (no offense to any lawyers out there, I have a cousin who is a lawyer).
    Eric

EM1(SS) Retired

For freedom is never free someone else just picks up tab.

Kimber Custom II
    Kimber Eclips Pro II
    Marlin Camp Rifle .45acp

A 9mm may expand but a .45acp won't shrink

Remember there are only two types of Ships in the Navy, SUBMARINES and Targets!

Really? So I can open carry in a school?
    If you open carry into a school in Michigan you had better have your lawyer's number programed into your cell phone because you ARE going to jail....or the hospital....or worse.

Though open carry is legal in most places in the state virtually no one open carries. Strap a gun on your hip and you're asking for trouble. Just make sure Mich is reciprocal with your state and keep it concealed. The MCRGO site linked above is your best source. All your questions are covered there.

Thanks everybody.
    There is a member at MGO that is an attorney and he frowns on the open carry subject. I am in the Detroit area and have done it a few times, but not in any of the areas restricted by the CPL. (I have a CPL).

Be aware that on private property, you agree to their rules as a condition of being present on their property. This means that they can ask you to leave at any time for any reason. Failure to comply will result in a trespass charge.
    just for conversation sake, isn't a school public property (owned by the city) and isn't there a rule saying something about preemption (sp)?

Quote Originally Posted by MarkAC View Post
    If you open carry into a school in Michigan you had better have your lawyer's number programed into your cell phone because you ARE going to jail....or the hospital....or worse.

Though open carry is legal in most places in the state virtually no one open carries. Strap a gun on your hip and you're asking for trouble. Just make sure Mich is reciprocal with your state and keep it concealed. The MCRGO site linked above is your best source. All your questions are covered there.
    Funny, Nothing bad happened to me. Even shook the hand of the principal of the school.

"Keep in concealed?" No thanks. I'm not going to punk out and be a closet 2A supporter. Yes, I have my concealed carry permit, but that's to give me the option to conceal IF and WHEN I feel like it, as well as enhancing my ability to OC. It only enhances my RIGHT by giving me the PRIVILEGE to conceal.

I don't appreciate being talked down to for exercising my RIGHT. If all gun owners actually exercised their rights instead of pretending the privilege that they had to QUALIFY AND PAY FOR is equivalent, the world would be a much more polite and safe place.

Thanks everybody.
    There is a member at MGO that is an attorney and he frowns on the open carry subject. I am in the Detroit area and have done it a few times, but not in any of the areas restricted by the CPL. (I have a CPL).

just for conversation sake, isn't a school public property (owned by the city) and isn't there a rule saying something about preemption (sp)?

Absolutely. Public Schools are public property, thus they're covered by state preemption (MCL 123.1102). This means that with a CPL, you may carry on school property in an open manner.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links