My wife CCed today for the first time!

This is a discussion on My wife CCed today for the first time! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife is not a gun enthusiast by any means. In fact, she thought it was crazy to buy a gun... We did our CCW ...

My wife is not a gun enthusiast by any means. In fact, she thought it was crazy to buy a gun...

We did our CCW class together (mostly as a safety course in her case), I took her shooting a couple of times, I got her CWL application and sent it for her after she filled it out in order to make it easy... (told her it was just in case).

Well, after a little over 6 months she finally got her CWL in the mail. So we went out and since I had shorts on, I gave her my G21SF on an Infidel holster. She put it in her purse and off we went...

I have tried to guide her slowly but surely into carrying a firearm. We are down in South FL and the city is certainly not getting safer. She is pregnant and I'd rather see her being capable of dealing with a threat than being an easy target.

I'm proud of her... I will be getting her a Ruger SP 101 .357 (which will probably be loaded with 38+p when she carries it) since she a bit insecure with an auto in a purse. Hopefully she will start carrying regularly...

Only thing is that sometimes I feel I am pushing her too much. I don't want to scare her away from carrying. Should I just back off for a while and let her get used to having a gun in the car (or close by) before she feels safer with it on her body?
    G21SF, G30, G36, Ruger SP101 DAO, S&W 642

I don't know if her simply carrying your gun for you really counts as her actively carrying, but it's better than nothing.

Keep working on getting her that .38 and guiding her toward carrying for her own safety. Then you can really celebrate.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I know how you feel its great when you finally talk your wife into carrying. It took me some time but my wife went from thinking I was absolutely crazy for wanting to carry, down to we now have a gun picked out for her and her wanting to get her CPL. The only thing stopping us is the whole unemployment thingy

Congrats to you and your wife. You have to start someplace and even a baby step is a step in the right direction.

Don't be surprised if after the baby is born she gets very protective and actually wants to carry.

It all takes time, took my wife 32 years to get her permit and now carries...sometimes. Hey, it's a start.

I've found that not 'pushing' is important, but start emphasizing the local news reports...that's got to be a wake-up call.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Just keep reassuring her that it's for her safety, and she will get used to it.

My wife wanted to go shooting after I got my permit in Nov. 2008. Finally got the chance and she loved it and can't wait to go back again. She wants to get her permit (she's on the list) and get her own weapon.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Congrats, take it slow, raising her comfort level. Lots of range time, good luck!
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Congrats on your wife. In time she hopefully will become more comfortable CC. At times coming to this point comes in small steps. The important part is that she made the first steps. She'll do fine over time!
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

I agree with georgewain that she will probably be more apt to carry after the baby is born. Don't push, but offer to assist. Offer information. Tell her you're proud of her (when you are).

Just don't buy a gun for her. Let her choose.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glock45 View Post
    My wife is not a gun enthusiast by any means. In fact, she thought it was crazy to buy a gun...

We did our CCW class together (mostly as a safety course in her case), I took her shooting a couple of times, I got her CWL application and sent it for her after she filled it out in order to make it easy... (told her it was just in case).

Well, after a little over 6 months she finally got her CWL in the mail. So we went out and since I had shorts on, I gave her my G21SF on an Infidel holster. She put it in her purse and off we went...

I have tried to guide her slowly but surely into carrying a firearm. We are down in South FL and the city is certainly not getting safer. She is pregnant and I'd rather see her being capable of dealing with a threat than being an easy target.

I'm proud of her... I will be getting her a Ruger SP 101 .357 (which will probably be loaded with 38+p when she carries it) since she a bit insecure with an auto in a purse. Hopefully she will start carrying regularly...

Only thing is that sometimes I feel I am pushing her too much. I don't want to scare her away from carrying. Should I just back off for a while and let her get used to having a gun in the car (or close by) before she feels safer with it on her body?
    You need to take her to the gun stores and let HER decide what is the right gun for her to carry. You can give her the pro's and con's of different makes and models, but she needs to decide what is the right gun for her. I won't pick out a gun for my wife, just like I wouldn't pick out a purse or shoes for her.

While I agree that you should let your wife decide on which weapon she'll use regularly, chances are she will like the SP101/.38SP combo.

My wife "helped" me pick ours out, even talked the gunshop into an extra discount on it, and she prefers it due to ease of use (she is not comfortable racking the slide on my other EDC weapons).
    "...for all who draw the sword will die by the sword." Matthew 26:52

Great info guys. FWIW, my wife likes wheelguns so that is why I ordered the SP 101. She held it and said it was too heavy and then something happened...she went ballistic saying that she would never carry, etc... She was completely reluctant to choose a gun so I decided to get the SP 101 and when she is comfortable and warms up to the idea of carrying, I will let her choose whatever she wants (assuming I have the cash availability at the time, if not, I can always trade the SP).
    I bought a COM safe for her car and regularly keep my G21SF in there. I figured that with time, she will get used to having a gun close by and when it is not there, THEN she will feel different.... without a gun....
    Baby steps, baby steps... The only thing I will not be able to do is take her to the range due to the pregancy.
    G21SF, G30, G36, Ruger SP101 DAO, S&W 642

Congrats on her carrying. Remember this, the the best self defense tool you have is between your ears. You can't get to your gun if you don't see the threat coming. Work on situational awareness and knowing your surroundings and what is going on, for the both of you.

There is no "winning" in a gun fight, there is only varying degrees of losing. The best thing is to never be in the position where you need to be in one...this is why I mention situational awareness as #1 inportance.

Have her carry around the house a lot until she feels comftorable going out into the world. That is what a lot of us did, even before we got our permits, and it helps a lot(figure out what works for you, get comftorable and confident with it, etc.).

Best of luck.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

jfl
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    You need to take her to the gun stores and let HER decide what is the right gun for her to carry. You can give her the pro's and con's of different makes and models, but she needs to decide what is the right gun for her. I won't pick out a gun for my wife, just like I wouldn't pick out a purse or shoes for her.
    Absolutely !!!
    It has to be HER choice, even if you think it not a good choice.
    For the last 30 years, my wife and I have been teasing each other about our choices; she is "six for sure" .357 -- I am a Glock guy "17 rounds ??? You plan to miss that much ??"
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Links