why aren't colleges posted?

This is a discussion on why aren't colleges posted? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just found out in the past few months that it is against the law to carry /conceal inside a college a person can be ...

Thread: why aren't colleges posted?

why aren't colleges posted?

I just found out in the past few months that it is against the law to carry /conceal inside a college a person can be charged with a gross misdemeander which is pretty serious considering it will go in your BCA record and make finding a job that much harder.

I had a friend with a permit to carry who concealed in his pocket at college since 2006 and I just informed him of what I read at twincitiescarry.com that schools are illegal to carry in.

Why aren't there any posted signs for the colleges?? I know high school junior high etc probably has them posted but it doesn't make any sense why the colleges aren't posted. How are people with conceal carry permits suppose to know this stuff? they sure didn't talk about it in my friends conceal carry course.

2. Remove Ads

Becaue when you take the class to get the permit, I am sure it was covered that schools are a no-carry zone. And, they are not required to post them. It is your responsibility to know where you can and can not carry.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar
    in michigan they post the places where u cant carry on the back of the card and they tell u in the class and on the paper work they give u

Here in WV colleges are not posted, but are not considered schools for the purpses of the law, instead it is in a student handbook.

Welcome from Las Vegas, Nevada! Because the vast majority of the campuses (?) in the area are well marked as "gun free zones". Plus, if you are a CCW permitee it is assumed you know better.
    Last edited by Pikachu711; March 30th, 2009 at 08:08 AM. Reason: browser glitch
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Unless you live in Utah, that's pretty much the law most every place else...but you still better brush up on knowing all the specific 'carry laws' of your own state.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Everyone should check their state's laws carefully: in VA, for instance, with the exception of one college, there are no laws preventing concealed carry (or, probably, open carry, but I'm not sure about that... and would expect them to be a bit jumpy). There ARE, however, policies for students and staff that you'll be kicked out / lose your job if you are discovered to be carrying. "Schools" in VA law go up through high school. Nothing is said about colleges.

I realize that not everyone here is from VA; I'm posting our specifics to illustrate the variability.

Note, too: when I did Public Health we had a mantra, "Confirm the diagnosis". You might check carefully your source: if you got it from a friend or a post on the net, you might be pleasantly surprised by the actual law in your state.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

VIP Member
    It is the carriers responsibility to know the laws and rules of their state. If state law prohibits carry in a location nothing requires them to post. I'd bet if he reread his student handbook it is listed in there as well.
    Many concealed carriers get their permit and never read the laws and keep up on the laws in their state. Conceal carry courses teach what the state requires as a minimum to get a permit. I have been to 2 courses (1 in OK, 1 in VA) and in each one the instructor said it was the carriers responsibility to know and keep abreast of the laws.
    Something that happened to me about 8 years ago shows how you need to keep up on changes in policies. I was attending a private technical college. When I started I read the student handbook, there was nothing in it pertaining to guns not being allowed on campus. My second year there I was talking with an instructor who also carried. He mentioned he was not happy that he could not carry at school, especially since it was not prohibited by law. He made mention that it was in the student handbook that carry on school property was prohibited. I told him it wasn't in the handbook and pulled mine out of my book bag and showed it to him. He told me my book was out dated and showed me the one for the current school year. They had added it in the newest handbook. I quickly excused myself and took my gun out to my truck. That taught me a lesson though. Even places I have been before, I recheck policies to make sure they haven't changed.

Quote Originally Posted by mathewsman View Post
    in michigan they post the places where u cant carry on the back of the card and they tell u in the class and on the paper work they give u
    In Michigan, you are only disallowed from carrying inside a classroom or a dormitory. And that's only if you're carrying concealed.

The rest of campus is A-OK.

you are supposed to know your states gun free zones. not knowing is no excuse. read up.
    Save a Greyhound. Adopt one.

As a MN Carry permit instruct and Admin on TCC, could you please link me to where you found the information that colleges are illegal to carry in?

Here's the facts: Colleges are LEGAL to carry in. They are NOT prohibited places in MN. PUBLIC colleges are specifically prohibited by law from restricting carry on a permit (pre-emption). Private Colleges CAN post.

Postings in MN is a two step process. Notification, and Demand for compliance. The sign only handles step 1. Legally, that's not enough and concealed is concealed. Once an agent of the property demands complinace, if you leave, no law has been broken.

Employers and Public and Private Colleges ARE specifically ALLOWED to have administrative rules or policies prohibiting carry by their students or employees. These are administrative policies and not laws. That means since you agreed to go to their school or work for them, you agreed to their rule and can be fired or expelled or etc for carrying but NOT charged with a crime.

Licensed Day cares, Public and Private K-12 Schools ARE PROHIBITED PLACES. but Colleges are NOT.
    For MN specific carry information and a great shooting community, check out forum.twincitiescarry.com

Quote Originally Posted by community View Post
    you are supposed to know your states gun free zones. not knowing is no excuse. read up.
    Well said.

There is a tremendous amount of responsibility with regard to concealed carry.

It starts with knowing the law.

plblark is entirely correct. I would suggest reading through the statute: link. The portion regarding colleges and universities is in subdivision 18, near the bottom.

The other issue is that these things are not always covered by a single statute.

MADFI made several reference sheets which I've found useful to give to my students as a MADFI certified instructor.

The School prohibition is not brought in through the specific Carry law. The Prohibited places stuff comes in through 609.66
    For MN specific carry information and a great shooting community, check out forum.twincitiescarry.com

Yup, what plblark said.

It might not be a bad idea for mnconceal to buy the carry class textbook, or retake a class. ;)

Links