Can they do this?

Can they do this?

This is a discussion on Can they do this? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have my CC and I drive truck for a living all over Michigan. My employer just found out that I carry and told me ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Can they do this?

Can they do this?

I have my CC and I drive truck for a living all over Michigan. My employer just found out that I carry and told me that I can not have my gun in the truck.Can they tell me I am not allowed to defend myself? They tell me that they do not want our cusomers to think the drivers have to carry. Like I told them "that is why it is called concealed carry" thay will not know and don't need to know. Now I'm thinking of looking for a diffrent job. can they do this?
    34 hand guns and still going.....

EX-NRA lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Theman9mm View Post
    I have my CC and I drive truck for a living all over Michigan. My employer just found out that I carry and told me that I can not have my gun in the truck.Can they tell me I am not allowed to defend myself? They tell me that they do not want our cusomers to think the drivers have to carry. Like I told them "that is why it is called concealed carry" thay will not know and don't need to know. Now I'm thinking of looking for a diffrent job. can they do this?
    When you're on the job, your boss gets to decide what you do or he can fire you for not doing it. The laws about carrying are irrelevant.

1) how did your employer find out?

2) If you are legally licensed to carry what business is it of his? Oh, I forgot, you are driving his truck.

Thats a tough one to answer; the only comeback I would have is that if you are delivering goods at odd hours in potentially dangerous areas, you could justify it. i would put the onus on your employer and ask him specifically what measures he is going to take to insure your persoanl safety in today's climate?
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

VIP Member
    Do ou own the truck or is it your boss' truck? If it's yours, it's not hos property, and he can't force you to not carry the way I understand it. However, it may be different in MI.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

My boss found out because i was at the shop and pulled my sweatshirt off and it pulled mt t-shirt and he seen the tip of it and asked "that a gun" And yes it is a company truck.

EX-NRA lifetime Member

I would carry anyway the worst he can do is fire you.But that said if it is his truck he makes the rules.

Some years ago I drove a route that took me all over Western Colorado and Eastern Utah and required me to spend nights on the road and carry large amounts of cash and checks. The company had nothing in policy forbidding weapons being carried and I did not ask. They never knew and I never advertised it. Concealed carry is concealed carry IMO. The company most certainly does have the right to set a no carry policy and if you want to work for them you must follow policy. If there is nothing mentioned in policy, why put it in their minds? How did they find out you carry? At this point there is little you can do but follow what they have informed you is policy, or quit.

Senior Moderator
    It is your job, do you want to quit and look for another job now?

I know it stinks, but your company can have that policy, it's their truck after all.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Boss' truck, boss' company, boss' rules. That's why he's called the "boss".
    Not only is it the boss' rules but a lot of times it's the boss' insurer's rules.
    If you get fired that sure isn't going to do you any good when you try to get another job. Finding a job is tough for any reason. Finding a job after getting fired, not talking laid off, is going to be many times harder. Getting fired for carrying a gun after being told not to and you might as well find another line of work because other companies and their insurers aren't going to pick you up.
    183 FBINA

But that is why i got a CC because I do get alot of checks and CASH. And due to that fact that I do deliver in some bad areas. And due to I carry fertilizer and other chemicals that if got into the wrong hands would be bad.

EX-NRA lifetime Member

VIP Member
    Explain that to your boss, perhaps he will understand and change his mind. Can it hurt to try?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Yes, your company can set their own rules.
    If it’s your truck I’d just lock my pistol up when loading, but if it’s the company truck, then it’s your company’s right to tell you what you can and cannot do.

I worked for a company back in the 80’s that strictly prohibited employees carrying a firearm, yet the President of the company had four body guards with Uzi. Go figure do as I say not as I do.

In any case, I carried a pistol every day I worked there, and just never told anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    Explain that to your boss, perhaps he will understand and change his mind. Can it hurt to try?
    I did that but he did not want to hear it.. If this tells you anything he voted for Obama.. so he is a bit anti gun. I think im just going to change jobs. Bad after 9 years and they treat me like this.

EX-NRA lifetime Member

My boss found out because i was at the shop and pulled my sweatshirt off and it pulled mt t-shirt and he seen the tip of it and asked "that a gun" And yes it is a company truck.
    Is there something written in company policy? Is it possible that if you had not been careless in the way you concealed your gun that you might not have actually been in violation of company policy and your boss would not have known anyway? Now that you have been verbally told by your boss not to carry, you have little choice but to comply.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar

Well...it seems they know now...because you didn't keep it concealed. It you didn't keep it concealed from them...could the same happen with customers? Frustrating I'm sure...but you're going to have to make some choices.

Rick

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links